New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is just kind of a brain teaser I was thinking with my Glock. This isn't how I would carry, or how I would do anything like that, but rather an "is it actually physically possible" kind of thing. Is it physically possible to have a live round in the chamber of a Glock, but have the trigger back (de-cocked). I thought of this because you CAN do this on my P99 with DA/SA, bit simply hitting the de-cocker, but is it actually physically possible to have a live round in the chamber of a Glock and have the trigger back?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
No. Racking the slide to chamber the round in the chamber cocks the striker and there is no way to decock that kind of gun.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Racking the slide to chamber the round in the chamber cocks the striker and there is no way to decock that kind of gun.
I've been thinking even with the Use of Snap Caps, etc. There literally is no way to do it? (I need this info for an upcoming video of mine) :)

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
With a snap cap if you pull the trigger it will be "decocked" with the snap cap in the chamber. I'm not sure what you mean by "with the trigger back". Pretty sure the glock trigger will still be in the same position as when it's cocked after you drop the firing pin on a snap cap.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I understand what you're asking, and I can't think of any way to do it. Technically though, even with a round chambered your glock is not truly 'cocked' to begin with. When you rack the slide and chamber a round in a glock you're sort of putting it in a hammer 'half-cocked' state. Part of the trigger pull completes the stiker 'cocking' action before dropping the firing pin.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am going to agree with Jeff, you cant do it. If you have 2 snap caps then a way to be sure would be to put something on snap cap "primer" so you can see if it has been struck. Then load it in mag then put another snap cap in mag on top of it. put mag in glock and rack first snap cap into chamber. Then pull trigger and keep it held to rear. While holding trigger to rear rack slide to load 2nd snap cap. I am assuming this will cause firing pin to strike 2nd round. Also there is no purpose to have a round in chamber with trigger to the rear in order to fire you would have to rack slide ejecting round from chamber in the process causing you to be down a round.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With a snap cap if you pull the trigger it will be "decocked" with the snap cap in the chamber. I'm not sure what you mean by "with the trigger back". Pretty sure the glock trigger will still be in the same position as when it's cocked after you drop the firing pin on a snap cap.
If you pull the trigger on a snap cap (or empty chamber) it will be back compared to if you just racked the slide.

[qupte=usmcveteran]I am going to agree with Jeff, you cant do it. If you have 2 snap caps then a way to be sure would be to put something on snap cap "primer" so you can see if it has been struck. Then load it in mag then put another snap cap in mag on top of it. put mag in glock and rack first snap cap into chamber. Then pull trigger and keep it held to rear. While holding trigger to rear rack slide to load 2nd snap cap. I am assuming this will cause firing pin to strike 2nd round. Also there is no purpose to have a round in chamber with trigger to the rear in order to fire you would have to rack slide ejecting round from chamber in the process causing you to be down a round.[/quote]
That would just cause a new round to go in the chamber, but the striker would not strike the round. Think about it: That's what happens in the normal firing cycle.

I think I am going to go with the crowd and say that it isn't possible. :)

·
6,795 Posts
I just though of something I was wrong with what I said (see I can admit it lol). If you keep trigger pulled back when you rack the round it will not cause the pin to strike the next round (duh because it would be full auto then lol). The fire pin will be locked back though and when you release the trigger the trigger will reset. So yes if you managed to find a way to make the glock "decocked" with a round in the chamber then you would have a broken glock lol.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Field strip, and assemble the gun with a round in the barrel. When putting the slide back on the frame, only pull it back far enough so the tabs re-engage and not enough to reset the striker.

I imagine this would be somewhat unsafe. But I don't see why it wouldn't work and end with the condition of a live round in the chamber and the striker decocked.

·
6,795 Posts
even though with the pistol decocked and the firing pin is sticking out of breach face I think it would work without setting off round. Good idea Scotchman I think you solved the riddle! I am not going to do it with a live round lol but it seemed to work with snap cap.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Field strip, and assemble the gun with a round in the barrel. When putting the slide back on the frame, only pull it back far enough so the tabs re-engage and not enough to reset the striker.

I imagine this would be somewhat unsafe. But I don't see why it wouldn't work and end with the condition of a live round in the chamber and the striker decocked.
Yeah, see, I'm not worried about safety or convenience or anything like that. It is more of a riddle if you will. And I will have to try that tomorrow and see! :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't understand why you'd want to do this when a Glock is meant to be readily available to shoot. It was purposely designed without an external safety (other than your finger, of course.). But hey, who thought lighting a fart would be cool? Good luck in your experiment.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why do you want to do this?
I agree whats the point?
I don't understand why you'd want to do this when a Glock is meant to be readily available to shoot. It was purposely designed without an external safety (other than your finger, of course.). But hey, who thought lighting a fart would be cool? Good luck in your experiment.
Hey, this is just kind of a brain teaser I was thinking with my Glock. This isn't how I would carry, or how I would do anything like that, but rather an "is it actually physically possible" kind of thing. Is it physically possible to have a live round in the chamber of a Glock, but have the trigger back (de-cocked). I thought of this because you CAN do this on my P99 with DA/SA, bit simply hitting the de-cocker, but is it actually physically possible to have a live round in the chamber of a Glock and have the trigger back?
I've been thinking even with the Use of Snap Caps, etc. There literally is no way to do it? (I need this info for an upcoming video of mine) :)
Yeah, see, I'm not worried about safety or convenience or anything like that. It is more of a riddle if you will. And I will have to try that tomorrow and see! :)
All questions answered? xD

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried it, and it did work your way. You would have won a lifetime supply of chocolate, but YOU STOLE FIZZY LIFTING DRINK. YOU CRASHED INTO THE CELING WHICH NOW NEEDS TO BE WASHED, SO YOU GET NOTHING! GOOD DAY SIR.

ScotchMan said:
I SAID GOOD DAY!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts