New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a bear problem. I have a piece of metal grate ratchet strapped and chained on the lid of pail. But when a big one comes it usually rips the chain off the side and gets in.
I can not afford to build a secure enclosure as the dec said to do. They also said it is not their problem. lol.
so I was wondering if I secure it to another metal grate piece I have left on the bottom then run a car battery to the grates will that be enough to shock the bear and change his mind about my pail? seems like he never goes after my nieghbors just mine and I have 3 dogs 2 of them are large and do a good job of chasing them out of the yard but the bears know they wont go past the dog fence. tonight the bears was tring to get the trash while my 2 dogs were 20 feet away barking like crazy and did not leave till I went out and yelled at it!

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Hide in the pail. When the bear opens it you can pop out and scare him. He'll be terrified at first, but then he'll appreciate the joke and you two will become friends.

Or give your dogs 21 more feet of chain.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant wait to get my ccw so I dont have to look like a nut with my saiga slung over my shoulder as I deal with the trash. I live right on a main route. so shooting would be a last resort. If I was back in the woods more I would love to dispatch these bears. I really think these things are becoming like varmints around my way like huge racoons!

·
Banned
478 Posts
Buy some bear mace, get a mask with a filter, spray the bitch in the face when he gets in your garbage. It won't be pleasant, but he'll get the message. That and I'm sure you've always wanted to mace something, just like me, lol.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Actually did you know that NYS OWNS all the wildlife? I would say it is the DEC's problem. But hey throw out some poisons (if legal) and its not your problem if the bear eats it lol. What about figuring out a way to to anchor it and put a lid on it so when it opens bear spay comes out automatically? I am sure after a few times bears would stop coming to yours anyways. Also I would put up a sign if you did that so no one opened it on accident.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
$68 bucks for this. You could fill garbage can with dirt to weight it then put on lid so bear can easily knock it off. Put some food too in the garbage can. Then attatch this to a board that is held down in place by weight of dirt and attach trip line to lid. Once lid is removed trip wire is pulled releasing pepper spray.
AB-2000 pepper spray anti-burglary device
Granted this is not designed for what you need but I think it would work.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Is the garbage can at the road when they are doing this or is it somewhere else? Can you move the cans closer to the house, or closer to the dogs?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Is the garbage can at the road when they are doing this or is it somewhere else? Can you move the cans closer to the house, or closer to the dogs?
I would think this is a VERY bad idea. keep the bear as far from the house as possible. Firecrackers, bean bag loads ( not legal I don't think but will work) pepper spray even an air horn will all act as a deterent. Heck just buy a few big jugs of that atomic hot sauce and dump it over the garbage, that alone may do the trick.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I would think this is a VERY bad idea. keep the bear as far from the house as possible. Firecrackers, bean bag loads ( not legal I don't think but will work) pepper spray even an air horn will all act as a deterent. Heck just buy a few big jugs of that atomic hot sauce and dump it over the garbage, that alone may do the trick.
Putting the garbage can closer to the house will probably put it closer to the dogs, and also make it closer to him so he can scare the bear easier. The dogs will keep the bear away. Just don't leave one dog out by itself.

The problem with firecrackers, bean bags, and other tactics to scare it is that the OP has to be around. Dumping hot sauce may work until the next trash day, but what happens when he fills up the garbage bin next week? The bears will keep coming back if they can get an easy meal.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
hook a car battery up to the metal grating and chain, maybe that'll shock him enough? if not I second the tannerite idea lol

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
if any of the non-lethal ways don't suit your fancy, simply wait until "the bear was attacking my dogs" and then bring it to the ground, nuff said.

I don't know the legalities of such, but if a bigger animal (especially a wild one) was attacking my dogs, and I know said animal can get bigger and continually comes around my house and my neighbors, it's a threat. The threat escalates when it started becoming more than just food-seeking and you did what you had to do to protect your family

·
Registered
725 Posts
The hot sauce idea would have to be repeated a few times to break his habit. I just don't like the idea of drawing the bear closer to the house. If he gets a sniff of something inside he may try to get in. Are the dogs always out? While the bear may be afraid of the dogs one swipe from his paw could maim or kill a beloved family pet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
seems like he never goes after my nieghbors just mine
This quote hints at the problem and answer right there.

To follow up on some of the other comments--permits can be obtained from DEC for nuisance bears. However, "nuisance" bears only become that way after getting used to eating trash/bird seed/dog food, etc. It really is your responsibility to keep wildlife out of your trash, and shooting wildlife that gets into your trash isn't a long-term solution. Resistant bins help, and they don't have to be steel, but thick plywood can work. Plus, who really likes leaving trash out in the open, instead of in a shed or garage? Electric fences or electrified containers are well work exploring too. SOP for beekeepers with bear problems is electric fencing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts