New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Almost certainly will go to the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals because the State of California doesn't want anyone to own guns. It will take a very long time before it reaches SCOTUS, if it proceeds that far. Even then, SCOTUS has been very hesitant to act on Second Amendment issues, save for the total ban on CCW.

I currently hold a CCW license/permit for Ohio and PA, which gives me a fair amount of latitude in terms of where I can carry, although there are a few states that will not honor my PA permit. This would certainly be a game changer for me and a hell of a lot of other CCW permittees, possibly eliminating permit requirements or opening up the possibility of greater reciprocity or licensing for out of state firearm owners. I am not holding my breath though.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Saw this article..... not sure if this has been posted?

Packing Pistols in Public Seen as Next Gun Control Battle - Bloomberg

seems like NRA is backing this case. it would be interesting how this will turn out. and impact NY/NJ/MD.....
Cases addressing very similar questions have already been through the court system based on laws in NY, MD and IL. IL was more or less a win, while MD and NY (Kachalsky v Cacace) were losses. The decision by the panel in Peruta is a big move in our direction though, and it specifically points out how the decisions in the cases from NY, MD and IL were wrongly decided.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Bollocks the NRA. We need the second ammendment foundation, Gura and Gottlieb.

The guys who win.
Sometimes I feel like the NRA is more interested in prolonging the fight than winning it.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
With the upcoming suits requesting cert at SCOTUS we will get one of them to gain cert . The " may issue " states are nervous right now because of the upcoming suits plus the AW bans that have spread after Heller . 2015 is going to be a very interesting year for constitutional scholars because of the coming suits over the 2 A so no matter what is written until then it's keep the faith and vote with knowledge because this election is everything to return the rights to people instead of the politicians ! It's time the politicians realize who they work for instead of telling us what's good for us !

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Bollocks the NRA. We need the second ammendment foundation, Gura and Gottlieb.

The guys who win.
Win what, exactly? Both SAF and NRA have been funding cases for years, with a mixed track record. While nearly every 2A supporter recognizes the Heller v DC. case, that case was not funded by either SAF *or* the NRA - it was privately funded by Robert Levy, chairman of the board of the Cato Institute. The followup to Heller, McDonald v Chicago was argued in front of SCOTUS jointly by SAF and NRA, which reportedly made Alan Gura from SAF very upset. That being said, Gura wanted the 2A incorporated under the Privileges and Immunities portion of the 14A, which turned out to be a bridge too far for every justice not named Clarence Thomas.

After the Heller/McDonald decisions covered gun ownership which was most protected at home, the cases turned to carry restrictions. There, the record is mixed. SAF lost a challenge to the NY "good cause" handgun licensing system in the 2nd circuit and was denied cert to SCOTUS, but NRA is currently in a victory mode of sorts in Peruta v. San Diego in the 9th circuit.

·
Registered
740 Posts
We can never give up.

I despise the left, but we have to admit they never give up. We need to be like that, even when we lose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts