New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 10 days ago a friend of my from work said he needed to talk to me, he had something on his mind, He just got married and was quite the "player" before that so I though he did something stupid. He's 20 yeas younger than me and really does value my opinion/experience on most thing regarding life. I wish it was something that simple! He said he was getting together a BOB, and told me what he had in it an what he should add, didn't really think much of it, we all have them. Any who, he cut to the chase, say, I'm worried we might really have a big nasty violent race war coming and I don't know what to do. Seems simple enough to answer, but he's black and his wife is white. All of a sudden it got way to real, my father in law is black. Been kind of bothering me ever since. Only advice I could give his was, you protect your family, your whole family. He has a place to hunker down if he needs to. I'm not overly concerned about my father in law, he'll do the right thing and he can hold his own for sure, he's a CO and a gun guy. So, I guess this is more of a vent than anything, but, any advice to add?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Don't let it bother you. He's not preparing to be violent, he's preparing in case someone else gets violent. Lots of people have "different" views of the status of our nation and what could or is likely to happen. Sounds like he just wants to be prepared but might be caught up in the media attention of recent events a little more than other people are.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't let it bother you. He's not preparing to be violent, he's preparing in case someone else gets violent. Lots of people have "different" views of the status of our nation and what could or is likely to happen. Sounds like he just wants to be prepared but might be caught up in the media attention of recent events a little more than other people are.
I'm not worried about his getting violent at all, he pretty mello, plus I've taken him to the range, definitely not worried lol. Just the whole situation. I always have a plan, always, doesn't matter what it is, either a action plan of a bail out plan, have been that was since I was 10 or 12, I don't have an excellent plan for this.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
BOB bags for any reason are not uncommon. I had one, but it got outdated. I wish I still had it, and plan to update it in fact.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
BOB's are good to have for any event. I do not believe in any race wars, most civilized people got over that long ago same as shtf or aliens invade hearh. I do believe in ignorant vs more ignorant type of bucking heads conflicts and of course natural disasters and the government messing things up as that's what they do best. Getting a bob ready, same as improving your firearms skills and getting in shape can be fun. The best thing is to do things that makes us feel better but not to be overtaken by fear and try to enjoy life.
Like FDR once said: "The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself"

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I'm not worried about his getting violent at all, he pretty mello, plus I've taken him to the range, definitely not worried lol. Just the whole situation. I always have a plan, always, doesn't matter what it is, either a action plan of a bail out plan, have been that was since I was 10 or 12, I don't have an excellent plan for this.
Again don't worry about perfect plans because do not exist. the best plan is to have a calm mind and clear head. Think positive always no matter what.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Evild:

While not perhaps an ideal, or mabe not even a possibilty due to local, population density or whatever, it wouldn't be beyond reason to think he could group up with folk just looking to defend themselves.
ie: mixed race looking out for each other, not hunting down certain folk to do they and thiers harm.

In the grander scheme, those on the outside looking in (other like minded groups) would see that he's a safe trusted sort and not go all Mississippi burning.

Then again there's going to be some who think he's a plant and want to eradicate any chance of something occuring due to 'someone on the inside'

I don't envy pondering over what has been asked of you and just bouncing an idea around to mabe use as an angle or consideration.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
As I read the OP he isn't so much concerned about his friend but himself in an "odd" mixed race situation himself - black father-in-law - So then your spouse is black or partially black and you are concerned 1. about the general public and their actions toward either of you as you are on both sides of the track so to speak and 2. what if there is a big rift between races - will father in law all of a sudden be against you ....
Thats what I took from the post and those would be a concern ... Number 1 you can think about population density and the general climate of things in your area in general and maybe gauge what kind of beast it will turn into ... there are ALWAYS going to be a**holes on both sides of the color thing so in that matter you're gonna need to be prepared - thats all more of a common sense thing.
Number 2 is the awkward one ... Is step dad going to be at thanksgiving dinner one day toasting his son in law and all of a sudden become a militant kill ****** black panther the next day ... probably not .... you need to feel that one out

Different situation for sure - I have a friend in MD in a similar situation races are switched but same deal - her family absolutely hates him so theres no guess work involved

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Whoa .... I thought I had problems. Definitely a concern I can see. If a racial war broke out, that would definitely make someone think "What If?" I know because I do it all the time. I can tell you every avenue from worst case to best case and everything in between in a couple of seconds because of my way of thinking. (The "What If"is what causes alot of my anxiety.) He WILL drive himself insane if he dwells on it. You gave the best advice .... protect your family and put color aside!! (unless there's more to the story than he's leading on in which case their may be someone in the family or close to the family that may not exactly "approve" of his situation) <---See???

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input. For the record, my wife is corn bread cracker white, it's her step dad, and he's more of a friend to me than anything since he's only 3-4 years older than me ( yes my wife is considerably younger than me and he's considerably younger than my mother in law). I don't' have concerns about him getting all ghetto on me but I do have concerns the situation in general and my friend from work, he's your and kinda stick out in a crown, he's a pretty big guy. But, I'm figure out something if it happens, I always do.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Thanks for the input. For the record, my wife is corn bread cracker white, it's her step dad, and he's more of a friend to me than anything since he's only 3-4 years older than me ( yes my wife is considerably younger than me and he's considerably younger than my mother in law). I don't' have concerns about him getting all ghetto on me but I do have concerns the situation in general and my friend from work, he's your and kinda stick out in a crown, he's a pretty big guy. But, I'm figure out something if it happens, I always do.
I anything really crappy goes down .... I wouldn't trust anyone but my closest friends and relatives - and even then I'd be careful ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts