New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the paper today that a 25 year old male was arrested in a dinner on Rt 52 in Carmel NY for having two guns in his waist. Turns out the guy had a Hunting/Target permit, not a full carry. They arrested him with 4th degree criminal possession of a weapon.
There goes his permit.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
That sucks. Maybe they shouldn't make it so difficult to acquire a Full Carry permit?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I read in the paper today that a 25 year old male was arrested in a dinner on Rt 52 in Carmel NY for having two guns in his waist. Turns out the guy had a Hunting/Target permit, not a full carry. They arrested him with 4th degree criminal possession of a weapon.
There goes his permit.
administraive restrictions have no penal code, odds are the charges will be dropped since it was not illegal for him to carry the guns with him. Tho the judge might not like it and yank his permit.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
More to the story. You can't be arrested/charged for that. No such thing as a Hunting/Target permit. UNCONCEALED might be the problem and finally end THAT debate...

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
there is a "hunting and target" only permit
Not in NYS there is not. There are administrative restrictions they write on, but they have nothing to do with the law.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hahaha ya it sucks im just getting confused on these laws because right now i have "hunting and target only" printed right on my permit. i know i can carry when im either going hunting or target shooting but i cant just carry it daily with that permit can i?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
hahaha ya it sucks im just getting confused on these laws because right now i have "hunting and target only" printed right on my permit. i know i can carry when im either going hunting or target shooting but i cant just carry it daily with that permit can i?
Legally you can.

Some (I won't say "most" because I have no numbers) people do as the restrictions have no basis in law. They are just words the judge writes on the permits. If you get caught carrying outside of them (which, how does that happen in the first place?) the judge CAN revoke your permit, but he cal ALREADY do that for ANY reason whatsoever. I won't advocate one way or another as that is frowned upon here, but you cannot be charged with anything for carrying outside of them. Just ask the NYSP:

Q - What section of the Penal Law authorizes the placing of restrictions on pistol permits by the issuing authority?

The Penal Law does not specifically authorize the placing of restrictions on pistol permits. However, court decisions have consistently supported the ability of licensing officials to impose these restrictions. Such an imposition is an administrative function of the licensing officer.Licensees in violation of these restrictions would therefore not be subject to criminal prosecution but would face action being taken by the court of issuance in the form of suspension or possible revocation of the license.

As such, there must be more to this story.​

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Because with no restrictions, the judge won't yank your permit when you're caught carrying outside of the restrictions he's placed on it. Crazy, huh? Only two types of permits issued under NY Law, premises and carry. Some judges place "administrative restrictions" on carry permits indicating they are only to be used during the activities they have placed upon them, but at the end of the day, a carry permit permits the holder to carry despite any administrative restrictions that may have been placed upon it. I wouldn't recommend carrying outside of these restrictions as the judge can revoke your license at anytime at will if caught carrying outside of these restrictions, but technically you cannot be charged for doing so.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Because with no restrictions, the judge won't yank your permit when you're caught carrying outside of the restrictions he's placed on it. Crazy, huh? Only two types of permits issued under NY Law, premises and carry. Some judges place "administrative restrictions" on carry permits indicating they are only to be used during the activities they have placed upon them, but at the end of the day, a carry permit permits the holder to carry despite any administrative restrictions that may have been placed upon it. I wouldn't recommend carrying outside of these restrictions as the judge can revoke your license at anytime at will if caught carrying outside of these restrictions, but technically you cannot be charged for doing so.
How do you know? If you do something where the cops are called because you are being dumb with your gun how do you know he won't yank it? I would imagine you would be treated no different with or without them in that case...

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Something too private for debating? Hmm...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
How do you know? If you do something where the cops are called because you are being dumb with your gun how do you know he won't yank it? I would imagine you would be treated no different with or without them in that case...
I was responding to the question why go through the process of having restrictions lifted. Sometimes I forget (or choose not) to hit the reply to all.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.