New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Everything is done by mail. Fill out an application, enclose a check and your expiring permit and send it out. You'll get a new one back after several weeks. I renewed mine recently so that's how it went. You can always call them in case you have questions.

· Registered
84 Posts
Yep I believe that's how they want it handled. You will still have the registration certificates for the firearms though so the guns aren't going to be completely "undocumented". You can probably keep the guns at home without an issue but what if you want to take the guns out to the range, hunting or something while you're waiting for a new card... then this practice could become a problem since you won't be in possession of your rifle permit. But we all know that the permitting system in this state and the city especially doesn't make too much sense.
And as with all gun permit related proceedings that the PD/SP has to accomplish they will tell you "Ahm, just don't take the guns out, and we are working on your renewals as fast as we can". But god forbid you're a day late picking up your authorization or something then there will be hell to pay for a common peasant. Nothing new, business as usual.

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Yep I believe that's how they want it handled. You will still have the registration certificates for the firearms though so the guns aren't going to be completely "undocumented". You can probably keep the guns at home without an issue but what if you want to take the guns out to the range, hunting or something while you're waiting for a new card. Then this practice could become a problem since you won't be in possession of your rifle permit. But we all know that the permitting system in this state and the city especially doesn't make too much sense.
And as with all gun permit related proceedings that the PD/SP has to accomplish they will tell you "Ahm, just don't take the guns out, and we are working on your renewals as fast as we can". But god forbid you're a day late picking up your authorization or something then there will be hell to pay for a common peasant. Nothing new, business as usual.
So true, thanks

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so I got the renewal packet in the mail today for the rifle/shotgun permit. They didn't ask for my old permit just the list of my current guns passport photos a form of payment and fill out a list of questions.

What is the normal turn around time from date of sending everything in to getting my new permit?

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Okay so I got the renewal packet in the mail today for the rifle/shotgun permit. They didn't ask for my old permit just the list of my current guns passport photos a form of payment and fill out a list of questions.

What is the normal turn around time from date of sending everything in to getting my new permit?
Did they send you the packet before your current license expired?

· Registered
163 Posts
I received my renewal package for my Premise Permit back on July 25th, and quickly got everything I needed together, and sent it back to them. I have delivery confirmation that it was received at 1PP on August 1st. And also have a copy of the cancelled money order from my bank, showing that the NYPD cashed it back in mid August. Well, my license expires on the 28th of this month, and I'm still waiting to receive my renewed license! You'd think that sending it in 2 months in advance would be sufficient, but nope, apparently not. I guess I'll wait until this coming Wed, before calling them to get an update. I hear there is a grace period if the delay is on their end, which this is, but still....talk about stressful!

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When my pistol permit was about to be up I waited for the packet to renew and two weeks before t was up I still hadn't gotten it. I called 1pp multipul times so much to the point that the person who answerd the phone knew me by name the second she heard my voice on the phone. I ended up having to go to 1pp on my birthday to renew. I ended up waiting 2hrs to get it renewed which literaly took 10mins. Not looking forward to it being up for renewal next year.

Hopefully my rifle/shotgun permit comes back before than!

· Registered
7,144 Posts
I received my renewal package for my Premise Permit back on July 25th, and quickly got everything I needed together, and sent it back to them. I have delivery confirmation that it was received at 1PP on August 1st. And also have a copy of the cancelled money order from my bank, showing that the NYPD cashed it back in mid August. Well, my license expires on the 28th of this month, and I'm still waiting to receive my renewed license! You'd think that sending it in 2 months in advance would be sufficient, but nope, apparently not. I guess I'll wait until this coming Wed, before calling them to get an update. I hear there is a grace period if the delay is on their end, which this is, but still....talk about stressful!
As I posted here recently, I work with several retired cops NYPD who are unable to work because they are waiting 6 weeks past the expiration date.

· Registered
182 Posts
Last year I renewed my carry, premise and rifle/shotgun permit and the pistol permits came back in a week.
Long gun was late but a phone call showed that it had been mailed out weeks before but I never received it and a replacement was sent out.
No doubt the current insanity at 1PP is slowing things down and hopefully will soon get back to normal.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's interesting to hear that I am not the only one who has had issues getting a permit back from renewal. So can anyone tell me how long it takes for the rifle/shotgun permit to be returned after sending it in to get renewed?

· Registered
163 Posts
What a pain in the butt this was. So I waited until my permit was just 10 days from expiration, and then finally called 1PP to find out what was going on. The lady I spoke to in the renewal section was very helpful I must say, and after being on hold for a few minutes, I was told that my permit was approved for renewal, and was mailed out on Aug 17th. Yeah, right. Anyways, I told her that I never received it, and she did comment that it was strange that it was never returned to them. Maybe because it was never mailed to begin with? She asked that I wait until the expiration date, just to make sure it didn't show up by some miracle. Which it didn't. She said that because I had a valid permit, that I should NOT voucher my gun, and that if it didn't show up by my birthday, which was yesterday, that I could come in and pick it up in person. Thing is, I had to write out a letter stating that I hadn't received it, and I had to get it notarized. So I did all that, and today I went down to 1PP and gave them the letter, and was out of there in 15 minutes with my renewed premise permit. Overall the people I dealt directly with were very helpful, and to my surprise, nice enough. But whatever is going on behind the scenes, in the mailroom, is complete BS!

I'm thinking that in 3 years, when I'm up for renewal again, I'll just go down in person and renew! Assuming you're allowed to do that.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay so I called the RIFLE/SHOTGUN license division yesterday (not 1pp) to find out what the status was on my renewal for my rifle/shotgun permit. I was told that even though I got the renewal packet and sent it all back the same week (9/8) that they are in back log and it will take time for it to come back to me. However if I don't get anything within a week of the permit expiering to call them.

I'm sorry but is there a flood of people applying and renewing their rifle/shotgun permits all of a sudden lol!?

· Registered
2,499 Posts
What a pain in the butt this was. So I waited until my permit was just 10 days from expiration, and then finally called 1PP to find out what was going on. The lady I spoke to in the renewal section was very helpful I must say, and after being on hold for a few minutes, I was told that my permit was approved for renewal, and was mailed out on Aug 17th. Yeah, right. Anyways, I told her that I never received it, and she did comment that it was strange that it was never returned to them. Maybe because it was never mailed to begin with? She asked that I wait until the expiration date, just to make sure it didn't show up by some miracle. Which it didn't. She said that because I had a valid permit, that I should NOT voucher my gun, and that if it didn't show up by my birthday, which was yesterday, that I could come in and pick it up in person. Thing is, I had to write out a letter stating that I hadn't received it, and I had to get it notarized. So I did all that, and today I went down to 1PP and gave them the letter, and was out of there in 15 minutes with my renewed premise permit. Overall the people I dealt directly with were very helpful, and to my surprise, nice enough. But whatever is going on behind the scenes, in the mailroom, is complete BS!

I'm thinking that in 3 years, when I'm up for renewal again, I'll just go down in person and renew! Assuming you're allowed to do that.
Thanks Scott for the info. I will get my letter written up and be ready.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a feeling today that I should call license division today and did and was given the following info. Extremly nice lady at rifle/shotgun'' we have your paper work and payment it was processed on the 26th of september. We are however in backlog and it will be about three weeks until you get your new permit. ME ok if I don't have anything by the time my current one is up should I call back? Lady yes call back if you don't have anything by then. Please note that if you don't have it by then and your current one expires you can't bring your guns out of your house. Me thank you have a nice day.
In my head i'm saying WTF!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.