New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I received a letter from Erie County saying that my pistol permit application was rejected. The letter stated that this was due to a previous suicide attempt. I do not know where they got such information as I have never attempted suicide. I have tried calling the county permit office several times and am just getting repeatedly transferred to voicemail and never getting any response. How can I dispute such erroneous information if I cannot even get a response with the details? Do I have any other way to fight this?

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's likely that you've been blacklisted and they are avoiding you. You've got an uphill battle for sure. If you're serious about this and the information really is inaccurate, I would retain legal counsel as soon as possible. It is very likely that they don't believe you and are avoiding you (for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's likely that you've been blacklisted and they are avoiding you. You've got an uphill battle for sure. If you're serious about this and the information really is inaccurate, I would retain legal counsel as soon as possible. It is very likely that they don't believe you and are avoiding you (for obvious reasons).
I was afraid of that. I guess I will have to open my wallet and look at said legal options. I really hate this state sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since there has been some question as to the veracity of this issue, I will add as much clarifying information as I can without doxxing myself. A family member did attempt suicide in my home almost 25 years ago. I was home at the time and was the person to dial 911 and administer what aid I could before the ambulance arrived. The only explanation that I could come up with for my current situation is that, somehow, the incident was attached to me either back then, or when the county performed their background check. Said person died in a car crash about 10 years later so they cannot come to my defense.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear that. It sounds like you were somehow attached to that incident in error, or that whoever did the background investigation just saw that incident and assumed it was you without actually digging deeper into it to find out what actually happened. Sort of like reading a news headline without actually reading the whole story. You'll probably need a lawyer involved to get their attention and have them look at this again for you. Get this cleared up. You don't want a denial on your record.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Is he able to obtain the results of the background check they did so he can see who/where they got this info from? Like a FOIL request or contacting the record department?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is he able to obtain the results of the background check they did so he can see who/where they got this info from? Like a FOIL request or contacting the record department?
Looks like I forgot to update this. I finally managed to get a call through and have an appointment with a "Legal Deputy" who will be able to give me said information as well as options on what I can do to fix this. I will still be retaining legal counsel just in case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OP, if you still have not found good pro 2A legal counsel, I'd consider James Ostrowski. He is in Erie County. If you cannot find his contact information, PM me and I'll see if I can dig it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My call today with the county was marginally helpful. I will have to file a lawsuit to get my rights restored, assuming I can afford the expense, but at least I now know what I am up against and the steps I need to proceed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
So they didn't say why/how they think you tried to commit suicide?

Reminds me of the King of the Hill episode where Hank was at the DMV & they changed his gender to "female" on his license, he argued, but said they needed proof from a doctor to change it, and kept calling him "mam" because policy was to use the gender on the license when adressing people.

:unsure:

I had the same issue buying our house: someone in WNY had same name as me and owed child support, so I needed my lawyer to write a letter saying it wasn't me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So they didn't say why/how they think you tried to commit suicide?

Reminds me of the King of the Hill episode where Hank was at the DMV & they changed his gender to "female" on his license, he argued, but said they needed proof from a doctor to change it, and kept calling him "mam" because policy was to use the gender on the license when adressing people.

:unsure:

I had the same issue buying our house: someone in WNY had same name as me and owed child support, so I needed my lawyer to write a letter saying it wasn't me.
The person I spoke to today said that their department was with the county clerk's office and solely handled record keeping, not the investigations themselves as those are handled by the sheriff's office. They explained the appeals process, stating that I need to file an Article 78 lawsuit about the issue and advised me to retain a lawyer. When I pressed them, I was able to get the date of the incident. At that point I was advised that I should get a copy of the police report so I can see what came up in the background check and have an idea as to what exactly it is I am fighting against.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Fire up a gofundme or something similar, post the link here, and I will donate.

Reactions: Vicarious
1 - 13 of 13 Posts