New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Westchester County, NY - after waiting 1 YEAR and 1 month from first application, I just got my permit. Not a fun or easy process, BUT! My permit says ? "Sportsperson" NOT "range" or "target"?? ....I am new to all this so please bare with me. What are the different types of permits and what to they mean, and where can I carry my firearm? Can I only "carry" it to the range, or to my camping trip, or hunting? PLMK I mean i'm happy to have ANY permit after that wait and process !! but not sure where I am allowed to carry.

·
Registered
295 Posts
First off, congratulations.

Since you were issued a Sportsperson restricted permit, I am assuming that you applied for a Sportsperson restriction. In Westchester, you must fill out a justification for the permit restriction type you are applying for including: target, hunting, business, sportsperson or full carry. In your justification for Sportsperson you must have indicated the sporting related activities that you engage in and the justification for where and why you would need to carry a firearm such as hiking, camping, fishing and hunting (if you indicated hunting than you would have also submitted proof of a valid hunting license). Your permit is restricted to the sports related activities that you indicated in your application. You can carry to and from those activities and while you are engaged in those activities as long as there are no state or federal regulations prohibiting carrying a firearm (some parks and camping grounds).

You may hear that restrictions are just administrative and that all permits are concealed carry. While legally true, if you are caught carrying outside your restriction by a LEO, your permit can be suspended or revoked and all firearms (including long guns) must then be surrendered. Carry outside your restriction at your own risk. The judge will have access to your application and therefore what your justification was for the restricted permit you were granted.

When you are carrying, always keep your weapon concealed.

If you are new to concealed carry, I strongly advise taking some courses. There are very good places locally but the best place, by far, that I have gone to for training is the Sig Sauer Academy in Epping, NH. Worth the trip.

Good luck, be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
First off, congratulations.

Since you were issued a Sportsperson restricted permit, I am assuming that you applied for a Sportsperson restriction. In Westchester, you must fill out a justification for the permit restriction type you are applying for including: target, hunting, business, sportsperson or full carry. In your justification for Sportsperson you must have indicated the sporting related activities that you engage in and the justification for where and why you would need to carry a firearm such as hiking, camping, fishing and hunting (if you indicated hunting than you would have also submitted proof of a valid hunting license). Your permit is restricted to the sports related activities that you indicated in your application. You can carry to and from those activities and while you are engaged in those activities as long as there are no state or federal regulations prohibiting carrying a firearm (some parks and camping grounds).

You may hear that restrictions are just administrative and that all permits are concealed carry. While legally true, if you are caught carrying outside your restriction by a LEO, your permit can be suspended or revoked and all firearms (including long guns) must then be surrendered. Carry outside your restriction at your own risk. The judge will have access to your application and therefore what your justification was for the restricted permit you were granted.

When you are carrying, always keep your weapon concealed.

If you are new to concealed carry, I strongly advise taking some courses. There are very good places locally but the best place, by far, that I have gone to for training is the Sig Sauer Academy in Epping, NH. Worth the trip.

Good luck, be safe and have fun.
You said it all, Steve89.
There is nothing further for me to elaborate on your response. It would be be advisable for the OP to be knowledgeable of the provisions of Penal Law Article 35 which is justification of the use of force. Restricted carry is just that-- if you are caught carrying a handgun outside of your restrictions or in New York City--you could have your pistol license revoked or suspended by the original licensing officer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts