New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So am new to this forum but have a dilemma hopefully some of you can help with.

I live in westchester county and want to apply for a handgun permit
just a target permit not a carry permit. Problem is about 9 years ago I was arrested for "criminal possesion of a weapon" in the 4th (misdemeanor).

At the time i was in the process of moving from baltimore. I was stopped on the side of the road making a phone call (ironically because i didn't want to get pulled over for talking on a cell phone while driving) and an officer pulled aside of me questioned me searched my car and found throwing stars my ex got me in baltimore where they were sold legally.

At the time had no idea they werent legal in ny. So spent the night in jail and went to court where it was plead to disorderly conduct and i had a few hours of community service.

Now while this was over 9 years ago i know westchester is crazy strict with permits.

Have been trying to save money for a house (would be in putnam county) but it will likely be a while before i can afford it.

What do you think my chances are?

If I apply in westchester and am denied how badly would it hurt a subsequent application in putnam.

Or should i just bite the bullet and wait til I move whenever it may be?

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Advice is move to Putnam to live while you're saving to move to Putnam...
:D

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Would love to but am paying very little rent as i am renting from family members right now. If I move it would take me much longer to save.
Others may disagree, but if it were me, I'd wait until I moved to Putnam. Westchester is as good as being in the belly of the beast. Any chance that you might be outright declined due to your past circumstances can prove to be the kiss of death since virtually all PP applications ask if you've ever been denied a PP in the past.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Others may disagree, but if it were me, I'd wait until I moved to Putnam. Westchester is as good as being in the belly of the beast. Any chance that you might be outright declined due to your past circumstances can prove to be the kiss of death since virtually all PP applications ask if you've ever been denied a PP in the past.
Thanks for the input. How good do you think my chances would be in another county. I am freaked out I would Be denied.

Any insights into how to better my chances would be great.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd like to suggest you consult with an attorney familiar with the Westchester and Putnam County processes. It is unlikely you will find someone whose situation is exactly like yours on this forum, and if it were - would you rather spin the facts yourself, or have a professional do it?

I know you won't like this answer, because it means you'll have to pay for it, but this is the best chance for success.

just a target permit not a carry permit. Problem is about 9 years ago I was arrested for "criminal possesion of a weapon" in the 4th (misdemeanor).

At the time i was in the process of moving from baltimore. I was stopped on the side of the road making a phone call (ironically because i didn't want to get pulled over for talking on a cell phone while driving) and an officer pulled aside of me questioned me searched my car and found throwing stars my ex got me in baltimore where they were sold legally.

At the time had no idea they werent legal in ny. So spent the night in jail and went to court where it was plead to disorderly conduct and i had a few hours of community service.

Now while this was over 9 years ago i know westchester is crazy strict with permits.

Have been trying to save money for a house (would be in putnam county) but it will likely be a while before i can afford it.

If I apply in westchester and am denied how badly would it hurt a subsequent application in putnam.

Any advice?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just dropped off my application today. Criminal possession of a weapon arrest I think it was 1st degree. Pocket knife........ Never convicted, cop never showed to court. Get your deposition and write out an explaination. No issue at the PLU, guy even laughed at the situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just dropped off my application today. Criminal possession of a weapon arrest I think it was 1st degree. Pocket knife........ Never convicted, cop never showed to court. Get your deposition and write out an explaination. No issue at the PLU, guy even laughed at the situation.
If you remember this post after you hear back on your app let me know how it turned out.

Wish my case was thrown out. Most cops would just confiscate them and let me go. I remember how dumbfounded i was after i explained the situation and he still arrested me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Unfortunately the stars are under cpl 265, so there was no way they would let a freebie go. I'll let you know how it turned out or keep an eye out for my approval post.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You should both consider yourselves lucky. If either of you were convicted on criminal possession of weapon 4th you wouldn't even be able to buy a long gun in New York. It's one of the few misdermeanors in New York that will get you denied on a background check. You may want to write a letter and explain the circumstance of the arrest. There are two parts to the CPW 4th the first it illegal weapons brass knuckles, throwing stars, switchblade, ext. the second part is a weapon with the intent to use against another. This doesn't even have to be a illegal weapon it could be a normal pocket knife that someone pulled out on another person in a fight for instance. It would be important to distinguish from the two. This is a important point however if a cop ever asks why you have knife always say for work, to cut rope, or other lawful use. Do not say I work in a bad neighborhood. Cops will and do arrest people for CPW 4th for this. It could be legal pocket knife but you just said you have a weapon with the intent to use against another and whammy that's it. Even better if you have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor before the police or DA can upgrade it to a CPW 3rd and it's a felony.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Here is an example of over reach. You are stopped on the side of a road making a phone call. What crime have you committed? A cop see you. He says oh my look there is a "stranded motorist" I must assist him. He stops and aks's Is everything okay? You explain, Nothing wrong I just pulled over to talk on my phone. Okay have a good day sir.
Anything else is wrong! What probable cause did he have to search your car? What's that you say? NONE! Oh what about his personal safety?
At least the cop should have said: you match the description of a bank robbery suspect that just robbed a bank do you mind if I pat you down and search your car? A big fat lie but in court, who knows.

oops simultainous post, Just read that he did use the old "you match the description of a whatever line.
Nevermind

Your lawyer was aware - so he says to the DA look you have fruit of the poisonous tree here drop all charges. The DA says Yeeeaaahhh I can't really do that because it opens the Officer up for a Civil Rights Violation so they "deal" your case down to nothing. Your lawyer gets paid - the DA gets a conviction - the Cop gets to seach other people another day and you are effed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
my guess is you wouldn't get denied in wastechester but wouldnt take the chance if moving to putnam is in your future. and sorry to laugh at your arrest but "throwing stars". lol. you a ninja? WTF seriously how are these considered a deadly weapon. i wonder how many people in the us have ever been attacked by ninjas.

·
Registered
420 Posts
my guess is you wouldn't get denied in wastechester but wouldnt take the chance if moving to putnam is in your future. and sorry to laugh at your arrest but "throwing stars". lol. you a ninja? WTF seriously how are these considered a deadly weapon. i wonder how many people in the us have ever been attacked by ninjas.
You laugh till it happens to you......being attacked by ninja's that is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Worst birthday present i have ever gotten from an ex girlfriend... haha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is an example of over reach. You are stopped on the side of a road making a phone call. What crime have you committed? A cop see you. He says oh my look there is a "stranded motorist" I must assist him. He stops and aks's Is everything okay? You explain, Nothing wrong I just pulled over to talk on my phone. Okay have a good day sir.
Anything else is wrong! What probable cause did he have to search your car? What's that you say? NONE! Oh what about his personal safety?
At least the cop should have said: you match the description of a bank robbery suspect that just robbed a bank do you mind if I pat you down and search your car? A big fat lie but in court, who knows.

oops simultainous post, Just read that he did use the old "you match the description of a whatever line.
Nevermind

Your lawyer was aware - so he says to the DA look you have fruit of the poisonous tree here drop all charges. The DA says Yeeeaaahhh I can't really do that because it opens the Officer up for a Civil Rights Violation so they "deal" your case down to nothing. Your lawyer gets paid - the DA gets a conviction - the Cop gets to seach other people another day and you are effed.
They never said i fit the description in fact the guy they were looking for was a different race, carrying a gun and on foot. None of which matched me.

Also they apparently robbed the gas station 3 stores down from the parking lot I was stopped at. Wouldnt logic dictate if someone robbed a store they would probably not sit on the phone 3 stores away from where they just committed a crime.

Wrong place, wrong time, wrong cop

·
Registered
200 Posts
Was it the NYPD that arrested you. Sounds like them they don't ask they just search your car. I worked down there and they are so corrupt it's sad. I left my job and was dropping off one of the people I worked with. I passed a mini van and it spun around it followed me for a block and three more cars cut me off. All the lights went and about 10 cops with weapons drawn jumped out. The first thing the cop said was move and I'll blow your head off. I thought maybe someone was shot or something and I fit the description. They got me out of the car and they immediately started ripping it apart. I mean they pulled the rear seat out everything. Basically they saw a white boy in the Bronx and thought I was buying drugs. They were like what are you doing here. I said isn't this something you may have wanted to ask me first before you ripped the car apart. I said didn't you need my permission or probable cause to search my car. He said something along the lines of your a white boy in the Bronx at 1am. That was the reason so racial profiling goes both ways. I happened a few times down there. The one time the guys went crazy because they found a couple of shotgun shells and a box of .40 cal s&w bullets. I made a illegal left turn and got pulled over. The cop saw the bullets and wanted to know where the handgun was. I told him 1 it is for a carbine rifle and 2 it at my house upstate. There ripped the whole car apart again and was gonna arrest me for the bullets until the Sargent came. He was like this guy is from upstate he didn't know you can't have the bullets down here. He was actually nice and said even if there isn't a gun in the car the bullets have to be locked in a metal box. Plus he said the pistol rounds are a no go. They didn't even take the bullets they left them there after all the fuss. They young cop that originally pulled me over told me he was disappointed he thought he was gonna get a gun arrest. He said I thought you had a gun for sure. I told him I forgot the gun in the trunk from last week at the range. I almost drove here with it but remembered at the last minute it was in the trunk and took it out. At the time I was 22-26 so I guess they see a younger guy and they figure I was up to no good I. To this day I hate going into the city because off all the bull. I wouldn't even go into the city with a knife unless it's a Swiss army. They make there own laws up about knives. If they can get the knife to open with one hand by flicking it even if it takes them five times of the hardest arm flicks they will arrest you. They say it's a gravity knife. Even thought the knife isn't designed as one it just got old and loose. It's like a whole other state down there. It's sucks I'm sorry for everyone that lives there and has to deal with the NYPD. I know it's only a fraction that are bad but it sucks dealing with them. The state police and sheriff's up here are cool as hell. They don't bother you much. I had a car with a loud exhaust and got pulled over a few times. They never even asked to search the car just talked and gave me a warning. One time I had 3 guns in the trunk. The female trooper came up and started asked me about the tints on my car. Out of respect I told her I had a 12 gauge, a 300 win mag, and a .40 carbine riffle in the trunk. She started to laugh and said really your not joking. I said no there in the back. She asked if they are loaded I said no bullets in the glovebox I'm going upstate to my uncles and he has a lot of propert to shoot. She ran my licence came back and said have fun and take the tints off. Never even asked to see them or anything.

·
Registered
420 Posts
They got me out of the car and they immediately started ripping it apart. I mean they pulled the rear seat out everything. Basically they saw a white boy in the Bronx and thought I was buying drugs.
Was it the 50th PCT?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Any advice?
Good
possibility you might be denied a PL in both Westchester and Putnam Counties.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts