New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what to do in this situation. I handed in all my permit paperwork on December 7th,2011. Only thing I've heard back from the permit office is the letter they left in my mailbox that an investigator visited my residence by following the hand-written I provided them. I've called the permit office twice after 6 months have passed and they said my application is still at the Sherriff's office and hasn't come back yet. it's really starting to bother me that it's been almost 8 months and it's still sitting in the Sherriff's office. I feel like I'm bothering them when I call and that my app has either been thrown away, misplaced or put to the bottom of the pile each time I call. I did have a misdemeanor on my record but that was expunged, the charge was tossed for good behavior for six months after the court appearance and the court record was then sealed. What can I do???

A friend of mine applied a week after I did and received his permit already 3 months ago and he had a felony on his record.

·
Registered
460 Posts
some background checks take longer than others if you have a more common name then their might be a few more people with your same name so this takes more time to determine which one is actually you. otherwise im not sure what to do. mine took only 5 months and i handed in all my paperwork on december 29, 2011. good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's what I was thinking, when I was younger there was another family whose children had the same first,middle,last names as my brother and i and they would always mix them up at the Pediatrician's office. I'm just surprised that they can't differentiate between me and another Kenneth Sweeney when the proof is on paper already, you would think that an SS# or a NYSID# would be enough. Hopefully by Christmas then maybe, lol

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Not sure what to do in this situation. I handed in all my permit paperwork on December 7th,2011. Only thing I've heard back from the permit office is the letter they left in my mailbox that an investigator visited my residence by following the hand-written I provided them. I've called the permit office twice after 6 months have passed and they said my application is still at the Sherriff's office and hasn't come back yet. it's really starting to bother me that it's been almost 8 months and it's still sitting in the Sherriff's office. I feel like I'm bothering them when I call and that my app has either been thrown away, misplaced or put to the bottom of the pile each time I call. I did have a misdemeanor on my record but that was expunged, the charge was tossed for good behavior for six months after the court appearance and the court record was then sealed. What can I do???

A friend of mine applied a week after I did and received his permit already 3 months ago and he had a felony on his record.
I would get a lawyer involved at this point. Want a suggestion on one? Who is the judge in your area?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Applied for NYS permit in Orange County on 12/7/11
Permit approved on 8/27/12 for CCW

Thanks for everyone's support, only took 9 months from start to finish.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Congrats man!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts