New York Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not fully. The NYPD doesn't appreciate the extra paperwork so they decided to forgo the formalities.

I was on my way home with the gf from brunch with her parents in Queens, and we were waiting to turn left onto a street in our neighborhood in Brooklyn. A guy on a white Honda CBR starts doing donuts in the intersection, and after 4 or 5 times around the intersection he pulls up to the vehicle in front of me and punches the mirror. At first I thought they had been in a previous altercation until I saw him aiming for me next. I tried to get my car out of the way to no avail, as he punched the mirror and kicked the fender before pulling off. My girlfriend (as usual) starts yelling for me to stop and let it go, but let's be honest...this one isn't getting away.

I did a quick 3 pt. u-turn and went after the guy. He blew a red light and almost caused an SUV to smash into a compact car, and as I caught up the light turned green. I got ahead of him and he promptly rear ended me, and then pulled along side him. My lady was worried he had a gun but I told her to ignore the road and call the cops. I started listing left to make him hopefully hit the curb or dismount, but he decided that sideswiping me and hitting the mirror again was in order, and that's when he lost his balance. I hit the brakes, put the car in park, removed my seatbelt (i dont' know how i managed all this under a surge of adrenaline) and hopped out of the car. He only partially dropped the bike and was trying to pick it back up when i ordered him on the ground. He dropped the bike and put his hands up. At this point, he still had his helmet on and his visor was mirrored. I didn't have a weapon of any kind on me (it's nyc...no use going to jail even for being the good guy) so I knew he had to be restrained, and just as I thought that he took a swing on me.

Quick background: I did Tang soo do for a while as a kid, as well as a few fighting seminars we took in Army ROTC, and more recently I did some judo and muay thai for a few years. A quick step under his swinging hand and a nice hip toss put him face first on the pavement with a knee in his back, and I held him in a half nelson until the police arrived (5 minutes after the FDNY showed up). Only minimal damage to the car, I think we can buff his paint off of ours without having to repaint.

All in all, another unproductive member of society goes to jail and I finally get to beat someone up for threatening my girlfriend's safety (after all the sh$t I've talked in the past about wanting to hit people who prey on the weaknesses of others).

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
What's your superhero name and do you get to wear a mask and cape? But seriously glad your ok man some crazy f*ckers out there!

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
So, a guy was committing nothing more than a traffic infraction, reckless endangerment at the most, did no real property damage, you cause him to flee running red lights there by endangering God know how many others, than you use your car as a weapon attempting to maim or kill him, all the while not knowing if he had a gun and could kill you and your GF, not to mention the bystanders could of intervened on his behalf because as far as they know, you were the aggressor, all so you could get your jollies beating some body up. Your pretty lucky you not in jail or the morgue.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
My girlfriend (as usual) starts yelling for me to stop and let it go, but let's be honest...this one isn't getting away.
Uh...what the fork? George Zimmerman anyone?

In fact, this whole post...WTF!?

Seems like a lot of muscle flexing...FIGJAM. The ONLY time, if you had been carrying for CCW, that you MAY even draw in that case is when your car is being attacked. That may have been OK because you could have been in danger. Beyond that is seems like a lot of cop wanna-be stuff.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I dont see it that way at all... It was an attempted assault.... He struck the vehichle they were in as well as another motorist.... Make sure you follow up with the case detective on this one... I would be curious what this guys sheet looks like....

·
Registered
986 Posts
this is just my .02 cents, but you risked the lives of far more people chasing him down. if he was to crash into anybody he would have caused more damage to himself (being on a motorcycle). i would have called 911 and not risked the lives of my passenger any any bystanders who happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. and think about it, you risked all that for a rear view mirror.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With that logic it seems there is a lawmaker position open for you in Albany.

Cause him to flee? Hardly. He ran multiple red lights prior to my involvement.
Used my car as a weapon? Also incorrect. Other than blocking I did no rapid movement that would have caused injury. He repeatedly rammed my car with his motorcycle including when I was fully stopped.

Get my jollies? Do you honestly think I went looking for trouble? It's summertime, there are kids out. This maniac was in a bad way and likely to get someone killed. I'm pretty lucky nothing. The Firefighters and LEOs thanked me for helping get this guy off the streets. I was also forthcoming with the traffic laws I broke in an attempt to stop this guy. But I suppose with your mindset it is better to wait for him to run over a child and clean up after.
And as far as damage to the car, I have a dented and scraped fender, driver side door, and rear bumper which all need to be repainted.
What was it that congressman said? We would do better to bend to a criminal's will and call the police afterward?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Ofoceans said:
Do you honestly think I went looking for trouble?
Ofoceans said:
I did a quick 3 pt. u-turn and went after the guy.
With THAT logic we won't even need to worry about CCW permits or self defense...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enjoy your high horses everyone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
here we go lol !!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You can't just whip it out and shout "Hey! Look at my dick!" This kind of story might go over better with the guys at RoidragersAnon.com I"m glad you're okay and EVERY BODY ELSE ON THE STREET AROUND YOU is okay too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I could figure out how to delete this thread I would. I shouldn't have brought it up. It's impossinle
to illustrate the entire story, including other motorists who assisted in stopping traffic. It was not my intention to create a BAMF thread or posture up so people in this community whose posts i often read with great reverence.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
im not a cop but i make arrests on a daily basis, your best bet is to call the local PD when a situation like this comes up. immagine if everyone tried doing this kind of thing how much chaos would be out there on the streets. next time listen to the woman (let it go), and by the way PD usually hates responding to these kind of calls 90% of the time the citizen doing the arresting goes for a back seat ride as well. let the professionals handle this sort of stuff.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If I could figure out how to delete this thread I would. I shouldn't have brought it up.
Honestly, you might want to...I'd hate for this other guy's lawyer to get a hold of this chat and show it to the jury at his trial. And if he decides to make a civil action out of it, this OP could prove fatal to you...

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
With that logic it seems there is a lawmaker position open for you in Albany.

Cause him to flee? Hardly. He ran multiple red lights prior to my involvement. So you ran some Lights too, or do you have a hoover craft?
Used my car as a weapon? Also incorrect. Other than blocking I did no rapid movement that would have caused injury. He repeatedly rammed my car with his motorcycle including when I was fully stopped. "make him hopefully hit the curb or dismount" You do know what happens when bikes hit curbs don't you?

Get my jollies? Do you honestly think I went looking for trouble? It's summertime, there are kids out. This maniac was in a bad way and likely to get someone killed. I'm pretty lucky nothing. The Firefighters and LEOs thanked me for helping get this guy off the streets. I was also forthcoming with the traffic laws I broke in an attempt to stop this guy. But I suppose with your mindset it is better to wait for him to run over a child and clean up after. Oh, it's for the children, I see now.
And as far as damage to the car, I have a dented and scraped fender, driver side door, and rear bumper which all need to be repainted. "Only minimal damage to the car, I think we can buff his paint off of ours without having to repaint."Can I bottow that buffer, my wife's car has a dent and scrapped paint that needs to be buffer out.
What was it that congressman said? We would do better to bend to a criminal's will and call the police afterward?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ran no lights, whether you believe me or not is up to you. Any mods reading this feel free to delete this pettiness in its entirety.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.