New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although it wont be the most "romantic" christmas gift, I want to buy my girlfriend of 4 years pepper spray for christmas. Where she goes to school, a female student recently was followed into the locker room by two masked men, and I am sure you can guess what happened next. This made me realize that I cant be there 24/7 to keep her safe. My best option is to make sure she has means to protect herself when I can not. The last time I bought pepper spray was when me and my cousin wanted to see if it really hurts as bad as they say it does a few years back. It does. Any new regulations on purchasing it? Any specific brand I should look at?

·
Registered
977 Posts
The laws on purchasing haven't changed. Sabre Red is pretty good stuff from what a lot of police who use it have told me.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I bought my girlfriend a thing of pepper spry when she went away to school, Ill check to see what kind it was when i get home

·
Registered
342 Posts
Only my 2 cents. Don't believe that just buying and carrying pepper spray is the answer. Anyone using it should get some training in how to use it correctly. I know it seems pretty easy but like everything if you want to be effective, learn how to use to incapacitate as well as how to possibly use it as a deterrent. Rochester Personal Defense Associated offers great classes. And they teach using inert sprayers so that you actually get the feel of how to use it. Just saying......

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right now classes are out of the budget

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Sabre Red. Tops. Get it

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
OC spray is effective. Mace makes all different levels of the stuff, but I'm not sure if you have to be LE in order to get the good concoction.

Make sure you brief her on the basic laws and ethics. OC is legal but only for defensive purposes... If she finds herself in a situation where she needs to use the stuff, make sure SHE calls the police first! You don't wan't the criminal to call the police, telling them that some crazy woman just sprayed the **** out of him for no reason. That puts her as the aggressor.

Anyway, I think it's a great gift! I'll be getting my wife some of the stuff this holiday as well. Other than a tazer or swift kick to the testicles, it's the best non lethal defense she can legally carry. And she's a former figure-skater so I'm not sure the testicle kick would be non lethal :D

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I suggest buying 2 cans so you have one for her to take outside and touch off against a paper range target so she knows what it will do if she ever needs to use it for self defense.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
rick, locally the only dealer I know of is Gander. If you find another local dealer, post it up here. Gander carries Mace brand, or they did when we purchased last.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ra-Lin on Burnet Ave in Syracuse carries it too. Last I checked AKS Firearms in Lafayette did as well

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Sabre red is good. Inexpensive for a start. One spray can in around $10. Spyder brings up a good point about buying two, one for use and one for practice/training. Kimber has Pepperblaster. More money, $40, very good product.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Whats the age for being able to carry it?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
NYS Regulation for purchase- 18 years old, must be purchased in NYS from a FFL or Pharmacist, can only buy two cans at time of purchase, must fill out form with DL number on it when you buy it.

We sell it at classes and since of of our instructors has his FFL and he holds all of the paperwork. I am also a certified civilian instructor for Sabre and I agree that the Sabre Red spray is the best out there. Which spray you choose should also depend on your most likely environment you may use it in. For example, if I ride a bus to work or work in a Hospital, I would carry the gel or foam spray as it is less likely to contaminate others including yourself in those environments. I carry the stream spray everywhere I go and have been sprayed twice in training and it works!

When we hold our pepper spray classes we charge $65 and that includes 3 water filled cans for each student to practice with as well as a live can of Sabre Red Stream spray, book and certificate. No student gets sprayed during class! That is the biggest question we get.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts