New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but since there was the draft and "Selective" service (not really selective since if you don't apply you get fined and you lose some rights and cannot apply for financial aid) wouldn't that make everyone who either signed up for the draft or SS a member of the militia? It is not considered the organized militia but it is considered an unorganized militia Therefore the 2nd amendment would FULLY cover our rights either as "the people" or "the militia"?

· Registered
8,557 Posts
At the time of the writing of the constitution the militia consisted of all abled bodied men aged 17-45. Who were required to bring their own weapons when called.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
If you asked our government, we would be classified has homegrown terrorists groups or a right winged militia.

James
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

· Banned
5,971 Posts
I could be completely off on this, but I believe signing up for SS just says you are consenting to be brought into service should the need arise, and you are not actually part of the service till you are sworn in.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could be completely off on this, but I believe signing up for SS just says you are consenting to be brought into service should the need arise, and you are not actually part of the service till you are sworn in.
You are consenting that you will fight in an emergency.

Definition of militia -
A military force of civilians to supplement a regular army in an emergency

· Registered
229 Posts
http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C13.txt
]
-CITE-

10 USC CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA 01/03/2012 (112-90)-EXPCITE- TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES Subtitle A - General Military Law PART I - ORGANIZATION AND GENERAL MILITARY POWERS CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA-HEAD- CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA -MISC1- Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes. 312. Militia duty: exemptions. -End--CITE- 10 USC Sec. 311 01/03/2012 (112-90)-EXPCITE- TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES Subtitle A - General Military Law PART I - ORGANIZATION AND GENERAL MILITARY POWERS CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA-HEAD- Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes-STATUTE- (a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard. (b) The classes of the militia are - (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.-SOURCE- (Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 14; Pub. L. 85-861, Sec. 1(7), Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1439; Pub. L. 103-160, div. A, title V, Sec. 524(a), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1656.) -MISC1
-
We Are the Unorganized Militia by US Code - It's really the argument to make the anti's choke on their militia argument for the 2A

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
I always chuckle at this argument from the antis.

· Registered
948 Posts
I find it interesting that it states "(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States"

I was a green card alien in 1966, and attending college in my home country, when they attempted to draft me... I joined the Army, but they had attempted to draft me first...I don't ever remember declaring an intention to become a US Citizen. I did get my citizenship in 1970, but I don't ever remember declaring an intention to do so.

· Registered
334 Posts
Thats not a bad argument, if you accept the anti's premise that the 2A states that you must be in the militia (or military to them) to keep and bear arms. It, however, does not say that at all. It simply states, rather clearly i might add, that the people need to be armed so they can form a militia if the need arrises.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
I just posted this because they say it's the militia's right. We ARE the militia and we are the PEOPLE. They can try to pass any law they want but I think I'm going to have to start writing more emails to elected officials with information regarding this.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.