New York Firearms Forum banner

Pennsylvania CCW App Question

9K views 68 replies 36 participants last post by  fig107 
#1 ·
Ok I have my NY CCW. I am looking to get a non-resident CCW in PA, but I don't have a clue how to begin the process. I believe it would be easiest to apply in Erie County (PA) and I found this website that has the application:

Welcome to Erie County, Pennsylvania

I also found this website with the address:

Erie County - Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association

So, do I just send the completed application, with a $19 money order, and a copy of my NY CCW?

What about fingerprints etc?

Do I have to go there in person?

Any help would be appreciated.

#39 ·
My friend was with a Restricted License. He did the online application, no mention of restrictions. This was November 2020, he received the notification in a few weeks. It worked out great since he was hunting upstate and only 40 minutes away from Honesdale.
He was going to drive to Centre County which is almost 4 hours away from his home.

#41 ·
Got mine in PA down in Centre County. In and out of the sheriff's office in 15 min. It was a short application, picture taken and listed a few references (which they never actually called), and I walked out with a permit.
Some counties in PA won't give you a non resident permit if you don't have an unrestricted one from your home State, however Centre County PA gave me one even with a resteicted permit from NY, they said it wasn't an issue.

Best call before you go to make sure nothing has changed since I was there.
Centre County Sheriffs dept 814-355-6803

Good luck!

#42 ·
Good friend of mine who's not on this forum but is on several others, got his PA CCW in ridiculously fast timing. He already has a NYS Full Carry CCW. Submitted his paper application to Lycoming County PA Sheriff's Office by overnight postal mail on a Tues. They received his application next day Wed AND called him SAME DAY to ask when he wanted to come in to pick up his CCW License. He said he was vacationing in the area and could go in same day (Wed), they said fine and told him to come. He went in, said the place was deserted. They had to shout out to him to get his attention in this huge community center sized room and tell him to come over to the corner where they were, lol. So he says he walked over, gave his name, the lady said she was the one who called him, took his money ($22), snapped a quick picture, printed his license, and said Goodbye. Never called any of his references and this all happened over a month ago. Total time there maybe 5 mins he said, possibly even less. Ahhhh.... now that's the way it should go in NYS! (Yeah I know, ain't never happenin'...ugh)

#47 ·
I got a center county self defense full carry 6 months ago . No restrictions and not 1 questioned asked in and out 15 minutes. It took 4 hours to drive there but in and out 15 minutes NO RESTRICTIONS. Not sure why you have restrictions or would say that. . I got mine with a NY target .. in and out . Good luck and thats the place to go . CENTER COUNTY PA.

#52 ·
#59 ·
Yes, but unlike THIS communist state, you can walk in others with your paperwork completed and within 20 minutes, walk out with a new valid CCP (Centre County is one). People are very friendly and gave my wife and me a list of places to eat because we drove so far to get there. This state is a disgusting hell hole and it doesn't look like it will ever get any better.

#64 ·
Ok I have my NY CCW. I am looking to get a non-resident CCW in PA, but I don't have a clue how to begin the process. I believe it would be easiest to apply in Erie County (PA) and I found this website that has the application:

Welcome to Erie County, Pennsylvania

I also found this website with the address:

Erie County - Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association

So, do I just send the completed application, with a $19 money order, and a copy of my NY CCW?

What about fingerprints etc?

Do I have to go there in person?

Any help would be appreciated.
It’s a simple process however you do need to appear in person. You have a application to submit, your ny ccw, drivers license
They take a photo, you appear before the local PA sheriff answer a few questions and your on your way. We took a ride last year (4 of us) drove to Erie, (only about two hours from home) walked in, took care of business, then visited several local gun shops. Headed home
Few weeks later got PA ccw license in mail.

#65 ·
It’s a simple process however you do need to appear in person. You have a application to submit, your ny ccw, drivers license
They take a photo, you appear before the local PA sheriff answer a few questions and your on your way. We took a ride last year (4 of us) drove to Erie, (only about two hours from home) walked in, took care of business, then visited several local gun shops. Headed home
Few weeks later got PA ccw license in mail.
My experience was similar, but I received mine immediately after appearing in person. Everything was emailed to them, they took a photo when I got there, 5 minutes later they handed me my LTC

#66 ·
Always check first with the office the pistol license is ready. The lady in the office did not have the paperwork back. A glitch in the system possibly. I was picking up my license and called before going. When I arrived the older lady was saying I was missing one character reference. I told her I called and my pistol license was approved. Two other gentleman came in after me from Saratoga. While I was being photographed the older lady informed them there license wasn’t ready. I imagine that was a good 4 hour drive wasted.