New York Firearms Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Ok I have my NY CCW. I am looking to get a non-resident CCW in PA, but I don't have a clue how to begin the process. I believe it would be easiest to apply in Erie County (PA) and I found this website that has the application:

Welcome to Erie County, Pennsylvania

I also found this website with the address:

Erie County - Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association

So, do I just send the completed application, with a $19 money order, and a copy of my NY CCW?

What about fingerprints etc?

Do I have to go there in person?

Any help would be appreciated.

Got mine in PA down in Centre County. In and out of the sheriff's office in 15 min. It was a short application, picture taken and listed a few references (which they never actually called), and I walked out with a permit.
Some counties in PA won't give you a non resident permit if you don't have an unrestricted one from your home State, however Centre County PA gave me one even with a resteicted permit from NY, they said it wasn't an issue.

Best call before you go to make sure nothing has changed since I was there.
Centre County Sheriffs dept 814-355-6803

Good luck!

· Registered
17 Posts
Good friend of mine who's not on this forum but is on several others, got his PA CCW in ridiculously fast timing. He already has a NYS Full Carry CCW. Submitted his paper application to Lycoming County PA Sheriff's Office by overnight postal mail on a Tues. They received his application next day Wed AND called him SAME DAY to ask when he wanted to come in to pick up his CCW License. He said he was vacationing in the area and could go in same day (Wed), they said fine and told him to come. He went in, said the place was deserted. They had to shout out to him to get his attention in this huge community center sized room and tell him to come over to the corner where they were, lol. So he says he walked over, gave his name, the lady said she was the one who called him, took his money ($22), snapped a quick picture, printed his license, and said Goodbye. Never called any of his references and this all happened over a month ago. Total time there maybe 5 mins he said, possibly even less. Ahhhh.... now that's the way it should go in NYS! (Yeah I know, ain't never happenin'...ugh)

· Registered
30 Posts
Good friend of mine who's not on this forum but is on several others, got his PA CCW in ridiculously fast timing. He already has a NYS Full Carry CCW. Submitted his paper application to Lycoming County PA Sheriff's Office by overnight postal mail on a Tues. They received his application next day Wed AND called him SAME DAY to ask when he wanted to come in to pick up his CCW License. He said he was vacationing in the area and could go in same day (Wed), they said fine and told him to come. He went in, said the place was deserted. They had to shout out to him to get his attention in this huge community center sized room and tell him to come over to the corner where they were, lol. So he says he walked over, gave his name, the lady said she was the one who called him, took his money ($22), snapped a quick picture, printed his license, and said Goodbye. Never called any of his references and this all happened over a month ago. Total time there maybe 5 mins he said, possibly even less. Ahhhh.... now that's the way it should go in NYS! (Yeah I know, ain't never happenin'...ugh)
Great Job!! I drove to center county Pa with my application i down loaded walked in paid 20 dollars and walked out with Full Carry Self Defense license in 15 minutes! Only needed to show Target permit from Ny. ! Thats the way it should be.. CENTER COUNTY PA. !! Cookie yonkers ny.

· Super Moderator
4,895 Posts
My friend was with a Restricted License. He did the online application, no mention of restrictions. This was November 2020, he received the notification in a few weeks. It worked out great since he was hunting upstate and only 40 minutes away from Honesdale.
He was going to drive to Centre County which is almost 4 hours away from his home.
As far as I know they don’t do online applications or renewals anymore state wide and must be in person. I think they changed this a year or so ago.
Here is a link that shows county by county because it appears some counties will not even issue a non-resident permit

· Registered
377 Posts
As far as I know they don’t do online applications or renewals anymore state wide and must be in person. I think they changed this a year or so ago.
Here is a link that shows county by county because it appears some counties will not even issue a non-resident permit

Wayne County will issue to a non resident with a Full Carry. You always had to go in person to pick up the new license. Only Centre County will give a non resident with restrictions a PA LTC.

· Registered
30 Posts
I got a center county self defense full carry 6 months ago . No restrictions and not 1 questioned asked in and out 15 minutes. It took 4 hours to drive there but in and out 15 minutes NO RESTRICTIONS. Not sure why you have restrictions or would say that. . I got mine with a NY target .. in and out . Good luck and thats the place to go . CENTER COUNTY PA.

· Registered
221 Posts

Wayne county does them online. You have to pick it up in person but you can submit the application online. It took a few weeks to process.

· Registered
221 Posts
This is correct, Wayne has an online application where you can submit your non resident pistol license photo ID, for a renewal no character references required.
You can do it for a new non resident permit also but it does require references. They mail them a letter now that they have to send back. They only required two.

· Registered
917 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Wayne County will issue to a non resident with a Full Carry who has a current PA LTC through them.
You don’t need a current PA LTCF for Wayne Co, to issue you a LTCF, to a non resident. All you need is an unrestricted Permit from one’s home State. Re-read their pdf on requirements before you post, it’s more helpful to the members.

· Registered
377 Posts
You don’t need a current PA LTCF for Wayne Co, to issue you a LTCF, to a non resident. All you need is an unrestricted Permit from one’s home State. Re-read their pdf on requirements before you post, it’s more helpful to the members.
Try reading the post regarding a renewal through Wayne County as a Non Resident. You Do Not have to re submit a Character reference again. On the initial submission of a PA LTC through Wayne County will you have to provide two character references and show your valid NY Carry No Restrictions Pistol License.
You are not helping this forum spreading unhelpful remarks and misinformation !

· Registered
156 Posts
Try reading the post regarding a renewal through Wayne County as a Non Resident. You Do Not have to re submit a Character reference again. On the initial submission of a PA LTC through Wayne County will you have to provide two character references and show your valid NY Carry No Restrictions Pistol License.
You are not helping this forum spreading unhelpful remarks and misinformation !
I don’t consider my remarks to be unhelpful nor is it misinformation. You are CORRECT, in that renewals need not supply the character references again. My bad for not referencing the entire quote in my reply, as I was addressing the fact that one doesn’t need to already have a LTCF in PA, to renew or reapply in Wayne Co. Character references weren’t on the radar.

· Registered
377 Posts
I don’t consider my remarks to be unhelpful nor is it misinformation. You are CORRECT, in that renewals need not supply the character references again. My bad for not referencing the entire quote in my reply, as I was addressing the fact that one doesn’t need to already have a LTCF in PA, to renew or reapply in Wayne Co. Character references weren’t on the radar.
This is why I posted my experience with Wayne County. It’s requirements and having friends get a PA LTC from them. The forum is here to help.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts