New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have my NY CCW. I am looking to get a non-resident CCW in PA, but I don't have a clue how to begin the process. I believe it would be easiest to apply in Erie County (PA) and I found this website that has the application:

Welcome to Erie County, Pennsylvania

I also found this website with the address:

Erie County - Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association

So, do I just send the completed application, with a $19 money order, and a copy of my NY CCW?

What about fingerprints etc?

Do I have to go there in person?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm pretty sure the website for Erie county says you have to show up there in person, and their hours are something like 10am to 4pm. Not sure about prints, they most likely do them there. Photos are done there also. I read this stuff on their website.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the website for Erie county says you have to show up there in person, and their hours are something like 10am to 4pm. Not sure about prints, they most likely do them there. Photos are done there also. I read this stuff on their website.
Any idea on the cost? I see the actual permit application is $19. Is there an extra cost for photos, fingerprinting, background check etc? or do they skip most of it because I already have a NY permit?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
PA CCW's are soooo much easier. I don't know specifics, but I know people from New York who have CCW's in PA. Pretty sure you just do the application and send it in...

I'd call if you have any questions...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I recently got mine in Montrose (Susquehanna County). You have to possess an unrestricted NYS permit and show up in person. The cost was $20.00 for 4 or 5 years. I brought in the state form already filed out, copies (front and back) of my NYS driver's license and CCW permit, although they would have copied them there. Including them taking a digital picture of me, I was there less than 10 minutes. They did call both references and as soon as the Deputy spoke with one, I had my permit about a week later.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently got mine in Montrose (Susquehanna County). You have to possess an unrestricted NYS permit and show up in person. The cost was $20.00 for 4 or 5 years. I brought in the state form already filed out, copies (front and back) of my NYS driver's license and CCW permit, although they would have copied them there. Including them taking a digital picture of me, I was there less than 10 minutes. They did call both references and as soon as the Deputy spoke with one, I had my permit about a week later.
Just like in NY, things vary county by county in PA. Some counties outright refuse to issue a non-resident ccw license, some counties will refuse to issue non resident ccw to NY restricted permit holders and some counties (such as Centre County) will issue ccw to everyone, including NY restricted permit holders.Check this chart to find the closest non-resident friendly county. If you have a restricted permit, call to find out if they will issue you a ccw.

It is interesting that they never contacted any of my references. Not on my initial application five years ago, and not on the renewal I just completed a couple of weeks ago. They did do a NICS check on my renewal while I waited and I was out the door with license in hand in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
You have to go and apply in person, so just go. Bring a check or cash with you and just go do it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just received mine a couple weeks ago. I went to Erie Co. PA for mine . I filled the application out before I went and took my $20 and my permit and drove down there. They processed it right there and said about 6 weeks. I received it in 3. Very easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an additional couple of questions. I received a PA firearms permit about 4 years ago, and have misplaced it. I was intending on letting it expire because I also have a Utah non-resident permit which has reciprocity with PA, and PA was requiring renewal in person.

Two questions: Should I renew a PA permit if I already have Utah? If I do renew, do I have to renew in the county that I previously had been granted a permit in (Centre), or can I renew in a closer or more traveled county?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I also just did mine in Erie county, there is no fingerprinting, only $20 a copy of your permit and license and they take your picture. Super fast and easy. I got mine in less than 2 weeks.

Oh and i see someone said you needed Unrestricted where they went...That is NOT the case in Erie co. My permit is restricted and they didnt even look twice

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also just did mine in Erie county, there is no fingerprinting, only $20 a copy of your permit and license and they take your picture. Super fast and easy. I got mine in less than 2 weeks.

Oh and i see someone said you needed Unrestricted where they went...That is NOT the case in Erie co. My permit is restricted and they didnt even look twice
Beautiful, probably do it this weekend. As far as restricted goes, sorry, I live in Niagara County, I have a full carry.

Thanks guys, as usual, awesome response.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I plan on applying to Delaware Count since it was closer to me and seems like they do not require unrestricted. My NY permit says hinting and target, but am working on getting that off. Does anyone know about Delaware County PA

·
Registered
876 Posts
Different Counties have different rules. I applied in Pike Co. I downloaded the forms, had to physically return the app with the fee. At that time, they took my photo and told me that it would take 2 weeks and I would get a letter. 2 weeks went by, got the letter that said I had to go back and pick up my permit. No prints needed, your prints are already on file in NY.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just got mine...Pike County... $5 at application....2 weeks then paid $14 by check and $1.00 cash, total $20 and two weeks. And the people are very nice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts