New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm just making my first foray into getting a NY permit. I've read several of the forums and apologize in advance if my questions have been answered elsewhere.

I already have a handgun that I purchased in PA. I live in PA 8 months of the year and NY (Onondaga County) the other 4 months. I'm really only interested in keeping the gun on my premises while in NY, transporting it to the shooting range, and, of course, transporting it to and from my house in PA. Some seem to suggest that people should apply for CCW and that it might get dumbed down to possess on premises. I welcome any additional discussion on that, given that my primary residence is in PA.

The Onondaga forum is not very active, so I don't see much current advice there. Will my references all have to be Onondaga County residents? As a part-timer, and given where we live, I don't really know that many people that I'm not related to. Any other advice on navigating the Onondaga process would be appreciated.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Make sure that gun does not enter NY until you get a permit and the gun is listed on it. If caught in this state you will go to jail and do time. Every pistol is illegal even in your home unless exempted by a NY permit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First result on google.

You need character references from Onondoga. If they're anything like NYC, you can 'try' for the concealed carry permit, but unless you're the mayors side piece you're not gonna get it. The only 'valid' cause is gonna be if you're a celebrity, very wealthy, or you're connected to the police department. Doesn't matter if you have a violent stalker, work in a violent neighborhood, or have any other reason to fear for your life, none of 'em will get you that carry permit, so don't bother.

In NYC, they will tell you to fuck a duck and kick you to the back of the line. Don't know if they'll 'bump you down' in Onondoga, but if you don't intend to concealed carry don't apply for it. But if you have a PA carry permit, and you unintentionally carry into NY during a trip home, unless you get a forgiving officer you're spending the night in jail.

That's all there is to it. Just fill out the paperwork and hope daddy says O.K.

Excelsior!

·
Registered
26 Posts
First result on google.

You need character references from Onondoga. If they're anything like NYC, you can 'try' for the concealed carry permit, but unless you're the mayors side piece you're not gonna get it. The only 'valid' cause is gonna be if you're a celebrity, very wealthy, or you're connected to the police department. Doesn't matter if you have a violent stalker, work in a violent neighborhood, or have any other reason to fear for your life, none of 'em will get you that carry permit, so don't bother.

In NYC, they will tell you to fuck a duck and kick you to the back of the line. Don't know if they'll 'bump you down' in Onondoga, but if you don't intend to concealed carry don't apply for it. But if you have a PA carry permit, and you unintentionally carry into NY during a trip home, unless you get a forgiving officer you're spending the night in jail.

That's all there is to it. Just fill out the paperwork and hope daddy says O.K.

Excelsior!
your best chance might be to apply for a sportsman permit (I believe that is the proper term). This will allow you to trans port the handgun from PA to NY, a premises will not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts