New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after spending some time today sighting in my new scope I come home and take apart my s&w m&p 15-22 and start to clean it. Bare in mind that all afternoon it was flawless as it has been on every trip and the cleaning thereafter. I pulled the bolt and everything and cleaned it, I had sprayed the barrel down with cleaner before even attempting it. I sent my rod down the barrel and it became lodged about less than a inch and a half in on what appears to be some kind of raise in the rifling. I was able to remove the rod but it took a little doing I was as gentle as can be doing this.

My best guess is its part of a bullet that went through it I have no idea how this even happend. I need to find a local shop to take it in to as its barely just over a month old. I could go back to buffalo gun center because its where I got it from but I honestly want to know the best course of action I should take. I dont dare attempt to shoot it again until I know its 100% clear of issues. This is the first time out of close to 1000 plus rounds (over many trips) I have had this happen. Only used CCI blazer and Winchester .22lr

I always clean it after every trip and Ive never seen this. So If someone could direct me to a place to get this resolved I would appreciate it (a place that wont kill me on price would be REALLY appreciated). I would take pics but I know they wont turn out but Ill try tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wooden dowel, or better yet, a brass rod, from the back, push it out with light taps on the end of the dowel with a tiny dead blow hammer.
Is it an inch and a half from the muzzle or the chamber? Either way, push it out the shorter distance with the dowel running most of the length of the barrel.
Worst case, your last shot of the day was a half a dud.
Best case, it's something from the range bag that wandered up the barrel, and you jammed it in as you ran the rod down the bore.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ill try this tomorrow after work. It is 1.5 inches in from the chamber, so I would be driving the wooden dowel down from the muzzle of it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You are right that you should not attempt to fire it until it is clear.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the place I got it from and I'm going to let them take a peek before I make any moves. I want to be sure I'm not going to mess up my investment.
Also, I don't take any chances when it comes to safety. It takes less then a minute to pull it apart, I'd rather do that then jeopardize anyone, including me.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Next time, buy a gun here. Not the Buffalo gun center...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always give everyone a fair chance until I'm done wrong. I know its more expensive there but I'm hoping Im treated fairly and nicely with the issue

·
Registered
248 Posts
I always give everyone a fair chance until I'm done wrong. I know its more expensive there but I'm hoping Im treated fairly and nicely with the issue
You're a generous person. I purchased one rifle from that shop and not another one since.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You're a generous person. I purchased one rifle from that shop and not another one since.
Agreed. I picked up a 10/22 there a few years ago ... I found their customer service sorely lacking (they assumed I was an idiot). On the other hand, I've had nothing but good luck with the vendors and other members on here, or have heard nothing but good things about the vendors.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I am all fixed and ready to go again, I did pull a small fragment from the barrel in the exact area I seen it in.

They greeted me and asked my issue and there was no problem there. The guy at the counter was polite and didnt talk to me in any kind of demeaning way. The gunsmith came out after looking at it and told me what I was against and how to remove it, which was high strength solvent and several swatches of cleaning pads soaking against it. I am glad they didnt remove it because I would have had to pay for them to do it and it saved me money there. So no bad experience this time out.

I always give people the benefit of the proving themselves otherwise. In my own experiances Ive found many places to fall in line with the comments of the masses eventually. This trip proved to be the opposite. Its not to say future trips wont be perfect but this time it was good and as a customer its all I ask for. Honesty and common courtesy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lead from the bullet stuck against part of the barrel's wall, just above where the round chambers in. It took me about 25 mins to break it all loose without using wood or brass to dislodge it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What type of .22 ammo were you using??

DOH! CCI an Winchester...never mind. Interesting how it got lodged. Last bullet you fired you think?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts