New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for no reason at all I have the urge to spray paint my AR. I was thinking of going the krylon spray paint route and doing a local camo pattern. I've read on ar15 about others doing it and I like the looks that people have come up with. Just wondering what others have done locally and what everyone thinks about going the spray paint route. Problems? Suggestions?

I know it will hurt the resale value of the rifle but I have no desire to sell this anytime soon.

I also know duracote and gunkote will be suggested but at this time cost is a factor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duracoat is the more permanent, but that is kind of what I like about krylon. I know krylon will wear off and that also gives it a unique look. In the end if the krylon wears down its a simple process to reapply and cheap. If I get tired of it I can clean it off an start over, it's not so easy with duracoat.
I appreciate the opinion though, and I think duracoat is the way I may go for my 870.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
So for no reason at all I have the urge to spray paint my AR. I was thinking of going the krylon spray paint route and doing a local camo pattern. I've read on ar15 about others doing it and I like the looks that people have come up with. Just wondering what others have done locally and what everyone thinks about going the spray paint route. Problems? Suggestions?

I know it will hurt the resale value of the rifle but I have no desire to sell this anytime soon.

I also know duracote and gunkote will be suggested but at this time cost is a factor.
It can look very good with some time and patience, but it won't last and you're lowering the resale value.

I'd save up a couple hundred and have it cerakoted, no spray paint vote IMO.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with the no spray paint votes, most gun solvents will eat away at the paint so you have to be really careful just doing regular cleaning, not worth the hassle in my book. For $30 I bought a duracoat kit (just black though) and sprayed it myself, comes with an aresol sprayer and even a pretty good cleaning solvent to remove oil before spraying, it has been absolutely fantastic and hasn't scratched at all in a year of abuse, looks great and is super durable. So when you ask what everyone thinks about the spray paint route I will tell you I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I say spray paint it. I have painted many parts with rustoleum (my preferred paint) but never a full gun. As hard as I am on my equipment it holds up just fine and if it wears off you can just touch it up, respray the whole thing or strip it off. Cake of piece!

George

·
Registered
433 Posts
Take a look at Brownells Aluma-Hyde II. I painted my AR with it a few months ago and it's fantastic. The key is to let it cure for a good 3-4 weeks. Love the stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts