New York Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every State should pass a law requiring ALL employers that do not give their employees paid sick time, to convert 10 days of yearly pay into paid sick-days for each worker. If the worker doesn't use this sick leave each year, they will get a lump-sum check for the lost pay at the end of the year.

This way, their pay is reduced but its stretched out over a year, and they get the money back if they don't use all 10 sick-days at the end of the year. And it doesn't cost small businesses an extra dime.

· Registered
813 Posts
Every State should pass a law requiring ALL employers that do not give their employees paid sick time, to convert 10 days of yearly pay into paid sick-days for each worker. If the worker doesn't use this sick leave each year, they will get a lump-sum check for the lost pay at the end of the year.

This way, their pay is reduced but its stretched out over a year, and they get the money back if they don't use all 10 sick-days at the end of the year. And it doesn't cost small businesses an extra dime.
You could always ask obama for some obamamoney

· Banned
5,971 Posts
I feel I should get paid for as many sick days as I need and be offered unlimited time off to care for my family, companies should also beforced to pay for better car insurance than I have in case i get in an accident while using my sick days, and I should get 49 weeks vacation, 13 personal days and with my GED, at least $200k a year. And a company car.

· Registered
10,544 Posts
I feel I should get paid for as many sick days as I need and be offered unlimited time off to care for my family, companies should also beforced to pay for better car insurance than I have in case i get in an accident while using my sick days, and I should get 49 weeks vacation, 13 personal days and with my GED, at least $200k a year. And a company car.
And free ice cream sammiches.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
I know he has already built a bad rep for himself on here but the state being a nanny is not what he is getting at, I know of a few places I have heard at that give no sick time at all and then bitch or suspend/cut your pay when you get sick and can't come into work. Those same places will also suspend you for coming into work sick cuz it's a "hazard"

If places of employment are going to play those games then they should have some kind of sick time set aside as a regulation, idk if passing it into law is a good thing though, more laws always = less liberty.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
I had a job like that once. Know what I did? I got a different job.
Sometimes it isn't that simple, the economy sucks right now and not everyone can just take a job with lower pay for the sick days, some people need a certain amount per hour to pay their living expenses, so you are left with the choice to never get sick, ever, or lose your job or your pay OR not pay rent and live on the street providing you can even GET another job, lower pay grade or not.

· Registered
10,544 Posts
Sometimes it isn't that simple, the economy sucks right now and not everyone can just take a job with lower pay for the sick days, some people need a certain amount per hour to pay their living expenses, so you are left with the choice to never get sick, ever, or lose your job or your pay OR not pay rent and live on the street providing you can even GET another job, lower pay grade or not.
It's true, I have been kind of lucky in that respect. I mean, I did have to go through about six years of crappy jobs before I got a great one, but still, I know how hard it can be, especially these days.

· Head of Bacon Operations
3,679 Posts
I was a small business owner so I am terribly familiar with how they works...please explain to me how your theory wouldn't cost me anything? Or a large company anything? I see it would cost everyone a lot. It sounds like people will be paid for 10 days for nothing. As the owner of a small business if I didn't work I didn't get paid. If people who work for me didn't produce I didn't get paid, so I would have no way of paying them.

Businesses of most sizes are encouraging their employees to take preventative measures like paying for their flu shots to reduce the amount of sick leave. It make more sense to encourage prevention than rewarding sick time.

· Registered
88 Posts

My contract is coming up for renewal. I'll have to tell my boss, more sick time will not cost him anything.
Oh wait the trucks I work on pay my salary. So if I use my paid sick days my boss is paying me out of his pocket.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I was a small business owner so I am terribly familiar with how they works...please explain to me how your theory wouldn't cost me anything? Or a large company anything? I see it would cost everyone a lot. It sounds like people will be paid for 10 days for nothing. As the owner of a small business if I didn't work I didn't get paid. If people who work for me didn't produce I didn't get paid, so I would have no way of paying them.

Businesses of most sizes are encouraging their employees to take preventative measures like paying for their flu shots to reduce the amount of sick leave. It make more sense to encourage prevention than rewarding sick time.
Ditto, as an owner if someone didn't show to work because they were sick, the only thing that meant was I did double duty that day.

· Registered
543 Posts
Theres something called FMLA. Alot of people at my job get it. If you have medical conditions or family members that do you can call in sick using it and then they cant hold you accountable for it. Think its a state or federal law.
You dont get paid for it, have to use sick time or just take no pay. But you cant be fired for it.

Most people have it and just abuse it. Most people just fake ailments to get it. Cant say Ive never thought about what I could pretend to have to get it. (migraines). But if you really have medical issues look into getting it.

· Registered
5,426 Posts

He is saying this, to keep math simple of course we will just use round numbers:

You have 5 (or any amount) employees in your business, they get paid 5 bucks an hour, 40 hours a week, but you provide no sick days as of yet.

Every january they get 10 sick days to use sparingly when absolutely needed, you already pay them 10400 dollars a year if they work full time (5x40=200x52 weeks)

take 10 days pay (80 hours) or 400 dollars, and keep it set aside, deducted slightly from each pay check.

So now each employee gets 4.80 an hour (20 cents isn't a huge difference) and at the end of the year if they haven't used their sick days up, they get the remainder of the 400 dollars in a lump sum, like a bonus, if they have used it up, its already been set aside and paid for - by them, at no cost to you. Instead of paying them 10400 a year, you paid them 10000 annually with a 400 dollar bonus, OR if they used their sick days, you paid them 10400, either way, you spend the same amount, they lose a minimal amount of pay up front, but it's the same at the end of the year (20 cents/hr adds up to 8 dollars a week) and they get sick time.

· Head of Bacon Operations
3,679 Posts
but it's not just the same amount of pay...it's the same amount of pay plus the loss in productivity of 10 days work per employee. so if I have 5 employees that means I have the potential to lose 50 days of labor which most employees will likely take because they know they are getting paid either way. And how many people really require 10 sick days a year? You could have a crappy year where you get the flu and need them but likely will go a year or two without getting any plagues beyond a day or two here and there.

In jobs I have worked in that had this system, I found most people don't know how to use these days sparingly. They used those "sick" days for personal days AND then still needed sick days to cover if they ever actually got sick.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Heh, heh, OK, if the law requires employees to be paid for 10 days sick time, how about writing into those same laws that the employee is required to WORK the remaining 50 weeks while on the job. I can see this will go over well....

Seriously, I get no sick days per se but "unlimited" vacation time. My job feels I'm a big boy and am responsible for getting my work done, so as long as the work is getting done I can take off as much as I want. Of course, you can never get the work done and can never take all the days off, so its basically a way of not having to pay people for accumulated days off if they leave the company. Oh, and Mon-Fri 9-5 don't cut it. Usually at the office at least until 6 or 7, sometimes much longer and work lots of weekends when necessary. I'm on salary so no OT either. Would I vote to have the government to come in to regulate these "unfair" practices? Absolutely not. We need less regulations not more. My two cents.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
but it's not just the same amount of pay...it's the same amount of pay plus the loss in productivity of 10 days work per employee. so if I have 5 employees that means I have the potential to lose 50 days of labor which most employees will likely take because they know they are getting paid either way. And how many people really require 10 sick days a year? You could have a crappy year where you get the flu and need them but likely will go a year or two without getting any plagues beyond a day or two here and there.

In jobs I have worked in that had this system, I found most people don't know how to use these days sparingly. They used those "sick" days for personal days AND then still needed sick days to cover if they ever actually got sick.
Ah I see the loss in production, you are right, that is a problem.

The people who do use the sick days as personal days and THEN want sick time, as an employer you have already done them a favor and that would be the time to tell them "You had 10days of sick time, you used 5 of them to extend your holiday leave for thanksgiving, I cannot help you any further." or whatever needs to be said. But yes loss in production I overlooked that, that is a big deal, in a big enough corporation simply 1 hour missed by every employee over a year would add up to MILLIONS in lost production.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
Free lunches, free unlimited data plan cell phones, and Thanksgiving turkeys and Christmas hams also. Just need some laws, and presto, the company will automatically be able to afford it. Just call the Fed and have them print more money. It will work, really.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.