New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from south of you. I have a relative that owns a vacation home in NYS but is a PA resident. We were talking and he was telling me how they were getting ready to take most of his pistols and long guns up to his NY house. We then got to talking about NYS SAFE act which he was totally unaware of. I am pretty sure anything he brings has to comply with that tyrannical piece of legislation but is there something else he needs to do? Can he even possess them? Store them? Transport them?
Thanks a bunch in advance

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
He can't bring any rifles that NYS deems "assualt weapons" at all. Pistols he would need a NYS pistol permit.

·
Registered
369 Posts
he needs start reading up. non-residense pistol license for the county he vacations in.
NYUNSAFE act. or they will make him a poster child..
This forum has a wealth of information and informed and uninformed opinions.
welcome but honestly? he is leaving a Free-State to come to NewYorkistan?
I'd rethink it.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Short answer is only bring pump shotguns or non-semiauto rifles. No pistols. No AR's, etc. Otherwise you will go through a lot to get a pistol permit and even then, you may not be allowed to have the pistols. Plus the rifles will need to be the kind that don't look scary and evil.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Gladiators post is confusing. There is no problem bringing semi-auto shot guns or semi-auto rifles as long as they don't meet the AW definition.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Gladiators post is confusing. There is no problem bringing semi-auto shot guns or semi-auto rifles as long as they don't meet the AW definition.
The law is confusing, his post is clear. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of figuring out what features are allowed etc, and you want or need a gun for whatever purposes, it is easiest to bring a pump shotgun, or any non-semi automatic long gun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pistols: Non-residents can apply for and be issued NYS pistol licenses (recent ruling Osterweil v Bartlett). Your relative needs to do so before bringing pistols into NY.

AWs: Your non-resident relative would have to abide by the same rules as a resident would (possessed before 1/15/13 and registering before 4/5/14). There are no regulations against non-residents registering AWs.

Long guns and shotguns of the un-AW kind: Completely OK to bring in.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you can get a specific list of the long guns we would be able to tell you. The pistols are a no no unless he has a valid NYS pistol permit.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Magazine capacity is also another thing to be aware of, 10 rounds (rifle and pistol) good anything over that no good.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Magazine capacity is also another thing to be aware of, 10 rounds (rifle and pistol) good anything over that no good.
And do not forget to only load 7 rounds in the Magazine unless he is willing to gamble on being caught with more than 7

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It wasn't clear. He told the OP that 1,000's of legal rifles and shotguns were not allowed in NY.

Since when do we accept compromise because understanding the law is to much of a "hassle" ?
Short answer is

• only bring pump shotguns or non-semiauto rifles.
  • No pistols.
  • No AR's, etc.
  • Otherwise you will go through a lot to get a pistol permit and even then, you may not be allowed to have the pistols.
  • Plus the rifles will need to be the kind that don't look scary and evil.

No need to get fired up sir. When someone poses a question like this:

I have a relative that owns a vacation home in NYS but is a PA resident. We were talking and he was telling me how they were getting ready to take most of his pistols and long guns up to his NY house. We then got to talking about NYS SAFE act which he was totally unaware of.
The easiest response is what Gladiator provides. The OPs relative has a steep learning curve to deal with, based on his stated ignorance of the Shaft Act. Sometimes folks are better off initially with a small chunk of data that will get the job done. Too much information can muddy the message.

It is not every interaction with a lawful gun owner that has to get into the nuts and bolts of the law, compromises and the Constitution. I save my energy for the real struggles.

LHT

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It wasn't clear. He told the OP that 1,000's of legal rifles and shotguns were not allowed in NY.

Since when do we accept compromise because understanding the law is to much of a "hassle" ?
He did not say anything whatsoever about long guns "not allowed" in NY. All he said was "no pistols, no ARs, etc". How do you figure he is saying these are not allowed, when later on he qualifies by saying that rifles are allowed based on appearance?

He DID say "you may not be allowed to have the pistols".

Short answer is only bring pump shotguns or non-semiauto rifles. No pistols. No AR's, etc. Otherwise you will go through a lot to get a pistol permit and even then, you may not be allowed to have the pistols. Plus the rifles will need to be the kind that don't look scary and evil.

·
Registered
413 Posts
He did not say anything whatsoever about long guns "not allowed" in NY. All he said was "no pistols, no ARs, etc". How do you figure he is saying these are not allowed, when later on he qualifies by saying that rifles are allowed based on appearance?

He DID say "you may not be allowed to have the pistols".
Thanks Trainer....

Ray, I am the last guy to compromise. I'm just giving friendly advice to someone who is coming to NY for a vacation. It seems like he has multiple rifles and pistols. I just tried to give him a quick answer to save him time. Obviously you can do an MR2 conversion on an AR15 and try to make it legal and then bring it here, etc. But the reality is that most people who are coming here for a visit will just bring something that they KNOW is legit, like a good old pump shotgun or bolt hunting rifle. This is nothing about exercising our rights or fighting the tyranny of Cuomo since this man is only coming here for a vacation.

I could have told him "study the SAFE act and see what qualifies as an assault rifle" but nobody can understand the SAFE act including Cuomo and his minions. They just tried banning everything they could with no regard to reason. I thought a safe answer would be "no pistols unless you get a non-res permit which is a process" and "no rifles with any evil features unless they aren't a semi auto" because there is a lot of back and forth on whether semi-auto rifles are OK or not since they can accept bird shot giving them a "high capacity" even though it is ridiculous.

Even Cuomo's website doesn't give correct info on the SAFE act. Nobody knows all the details of the SAFE act including the experts on the hotline and those who wrote up the law. I was just trying to give him some "safe" advise so he can enjoy his trip without worrying whether or not he is a felon once he steps foot into the Fuhrer's turf.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts