New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i could call the PA Sheriff..that's not helpful so please don't respond with that. Looking for a quick answer here if anyone here can chime in and save me the call.

Going to PA in a few weeks for a long weekend. May meet up with some people to shoot. 2 questions:

1) I have no noted restrictions on my PA non-resident permit, but my NY permit is. Do the NY restrictions apply in PA or am I good to go anywhere within the law?

2) Do they have magazine capacity restrictions like we do? If I meet up and someone has a "regular capacity" mag they're willing to part with for a few days- can I snag it for the weekend (obviously returning it before I come back across the NY border)?

Thanks!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I know i could call the PA Sheriff..that's not helpful so please don't respond with that. Looking for a quick answer here if anyone here can chime in and save me the call.

Going to PA in a few weeks for a long weekend. May meet up with some people to shoot. 2 questions:

1) I have no noted restrictions on my PA non-resident permit, but my NY permit is. Do the NY restrictions apply in PA or am I good to go anywhere within the law?

2) Do they have magazine capacity restrictions like we do? If I meet up and someone has a "regular capacity" mag they're willing to part with for a few days- can I snag it for the weekend (obviously returning it before I come back across the NY border)?

Thanks!
1) Technically your restrictions don't even apply outside of your county.

2)PA has no Mag cap nonsense.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts

Thanks!
Going to PA to shoot? Then have fun! Nothing to worry about when you are in PA. Use whatever evil NY feature you want just do not bring them back into NY. Post ban anything here is legal in PA so if you want to use post ban 30 round magazines, flash hiders and collapsible stocks you can do so LEGALLY! Keep that stuff in PA! Oh and threaded barrels are LEGAL on semi-autos in PA!

James

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Hopin to get out while we're there. A buddy of mine is from there - if he ends up home the weekend I'm there the goal is to burn through some rounds. Should be interesting - never been to pittsburgh.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
They won't give you a PA nonresident if you're from NY, unless it's a NY unrestricted permit. First question they ask in McKean county.. Do you have a permit? Is is unrestricted? If it's restricted, they tell you they can't help you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
They won't give you a PA nonresident if you're from NY, unless it's a NY unrestricted permit. First question they ask in McKean county.. Do you have a permit? Is is unrestricted? If it's restricted, they tell you they can't help you.
Iin Susquehanna County, I got a restricted with my restricted NY, then reapplied and upgraded when I got my NY unrestricted.
No problem either time, just fill out the form, they copy NY permit and driver license, give them $20.
Couple weeks later it appears in the mail.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a big 'ol target and hunting on mine. Mailed it in before they stopped allowing it to whatever county was hot linked I think on this forum..broome maybe? No noted restrictions on the PA permit, hence the question.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
This isn't PA law, it's an unlawful requirement put in place by some sheriffs who want to make nonresident permits harder to get. While unlawful, such practices are pretty common for some sheriffs.

Another example is Bradford County, which requires that your references either live in Bradford County or are LEOs (there's no legal requirement for references, period, much less references from the county in question or LEO references).

Basically, some sheriffs know that nonresidents are highly unlikely to challenge such things, since we can just go to another county, so they play games like this.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks PwnTheRide-So basically in line with the rest of the posts here - I'm good to go, and have more rights in PA than NY. Sweet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got my PA permit last month sometime, they never asked me anywhere about my NY permit, only if I had one. I had my PA permit in 14 days, no sort of restrictions at all and it cost a total of 14 bucks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
from what i understand now pa will not give out non resident full carry permits unless you have a pa 911 address i have one but its grandfathered in from 15 yrs ago

·
Registered
810 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got mine last fall in Susquehanna Cty, no problem.
$20, 1 page app, and copy of NY permit and driver license.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts