New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When / if I get my NY CCW permit ( in the 5th month of waiting here in Wayne Co), because I am originally from Pennsylvania, I want to get a Pa non resident pistol permit till I receive my Florida permit. It is the same application as a resident uses. My question is to anyone that has a non resident Pa permit...... for the two references, do they need to be living in pa, from NY where I live, does it matter, or N/A because i will have a NY permit? ...... I know, only can apply if unrestricted in NY.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
When / if I get my NY CCW permit ( in the 5th month of waiting here in Wayne Co), because I am originally from Pennsylvania, I want to get a Pa non resident pistol permit till I receive my Florida permit. It is the same application as a resident uses. My question is to anyone that has a non resident Pa permit...... for the two references, do they need to be living in pa, from NY where I live, does it matter, or N/A because i will have a NY permit? ...... I know, only can apply if unrestricted in NY.
Direct answer: it will vary depending on which county you are applying to. Bradford required that the references be from within Bradford county or that they be LEOs, Susquehanna did not care. Call ahead to the county you plan on applying to, change counties if necessary.

Much less direct answer: there is absolutely no legal requirement that the references be from any specific location, and you would almost certainly win an appeal of a denial of your LTCF if that denial were based on the location of your references (for example, if the sheriff required references from his county and you provided two references from NYS, then you were denied based on the location of those references, you could appeal and would very likely win). However, that's an awful lot of hassle. It's much easier to apply to counties that don't add illegal requirements (state preemption applies in PA).

Even less direct answer: there is no place in PA law that specifically calls for references or allows for denial based on a lack of references. However, it is generally thought that §6109's "character and reputation" clause could be construed to allow for it. Again, more trouble than it is worth for a non-resident - just find a county that will accept references you can provide and apply there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still no interview with the sheriff yet. Called clerks office couple of weeks ago...was told my paperwork was still pending. Budget cuts, lack of clerks, lack of deputies. Was told 5 months when I turned in paperwork so I was just seeing if anything had changed. There have been some for some reason applying same day or after I did that have already gotten the permit let alone the interview. All I can do is play the game with the equipment I have. Win a few , lose a few, some get rained out!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
According to the sheriff when I applied for my pa permit I could only get the permit that I had in my home state. If I had restrictions then I would have restrictions placed on my pa permit. Although With a Fl permit the pa permit is not required to carry in pa.

·
Registered
876 Posts
In Pike County P.A., the references can be from anywhere. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since I had applied for my Full Carry in Pike Co. I should be hearing by the end of this week, according to the permit lady.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
When I received my PA Non resident, I had restrictions on my NY, I still received a Full Carry from PA. Took three days from the time that I went down to Erie County PA till I received my permit. References can be from NY or PA. It is very easy depending on what county you go to. Erie County PA was very simple and painless.

i have a erie county business carry permit can i get a pa permit?
Yes, all you need is a NY permit, Drivers License and $20. Very simple.

·
Registered
876 Posts
All counties are not the same. I got my non resident from Pike County. I didn't need any references, but I did need a Full Carry NY permit. Pike County will not give a non resident permit to a NYer with a restricted permit.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Go to McKean County in person. No references, 15 minutes and 20 bucks
Bring NY id and unrestricted NY permit.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Are there any other PA counties that don't require a long waiting period and everything can be done same day?

I'd rather not have to drive out to mckean or even to pike county just to hand it in and again to pick it up.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
No, I mean you walk with it the same day.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah, right to the jail. The sheriff's office is right in there. Smethport, PA on US Route 6 west of town. Real pleasant folks too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts