New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my PA non-res permit in the mail today. It took exactly 45 days (excluding time in the mail). Easy process, I went to the Susquehanna county sheriffs office in Montrose. Paid $20, filled out the form and had my picture taken right then and there. They called both references, one of them on day 45, the other a week before that. I applied with my unrestricted permit from NY. Not sure how they handle restricted permits. The permit itself is credit card size and laminated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
about the same for me and my wife (at different times) took about 3 weeks for us.
good people to deal with there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I called the office to get info, they told me that they would mail me that application but I still needed to come in at some point for the photo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to the Erie County (PA) courthouse to get my non-resident permit. I went there on July 3rd, and received my permit in the mail on July 5th (the envelope was postmarked July 3rd.) I was very pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went to the Erie County (PA) courthouse to get my non-resident permit. I went there on July 3rd, and received my permit in the mail on July 5th (the envelope was postmarked July 3rd.) I was very pleasantly surprised.
Wow. That's impressive. I heard a similar story from a gentleman I went shooting with a few weeks back.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are states that will do everything by mail in terms of non-residential permits? I know the PA is good for
"x" amount of states, now say for example I applied at one of those other included states. I guess what I'm getting at, and trying to avoid, is driving to PA.

·
Registered
128 Posts
...... I know the PA is good for
"x" amount of states.....
Careful...Resident Pa. and NON Resident Pa. are different animals where reciprocity comes into play....

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Wow. That's impressive. I heard a similar story from a gentleman I went shooting with a few weeks back.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are states that will do everything by mail in terms of non-residential permits? I know the PA is good for
"x" amount of states, now say for example I applied at one of those other included states. I guess what I'm getting at, and trying to avoid, is driving to PA.
AZ, FL, UT are three popular "all-by-mail" states.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
PA is no longer issuing non-resident permits by mail correct?
Apparentl they were never supposed to be doing them by mail. Somebody caught wind and complained so they had to stop. Like he said, they'll mail it to you when it's ready but they have to take your photo in person.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Actually, it was a change in the law that has, at least for now, halted permits by mail. The pictures now have to meet some standard, and the only way they've come up with so far is using their equipment. So you have to come in person for the picture. If they can find a way to get other pictures compliant with the system, they could do them by mail again.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
ivwarrior is correct. Here is a link to the full explanation, with citations from the appropriate statute (§6109).

Essentially, the law changed to state that the person's picture must be input into the Commonwealth Photo Imaging Network, and no sheriff has come up with a way to do that other than capturing the person's photograph themselves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PA non-resident from other states

After doing some check myself.. you can get Utah, Florida, Arizona without going.. PA recognizes all of them,,, except the new Governor I believe is responsible for changing that law... NOW.. only residents of the above are recognized... so if you have a non-resident permit in the above states PA will no longer honor it.. you have to be a resident of those states...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like the place to go... what town is the Erie county courthouse in... coming from upstate NY... crazy .. I have enough permits to drive to Florida (by-passing Jersey of course) except PA and South Caroline... so have to get PA and worry about SC latter.. don't think that will be a big problem passing through

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like the place to go... what town is the Erie county courthouse in... coming from upstate NY... crazy .. I have enough permits to drive to Florida (by-passing Jersey of course) except PA and South Caroline... so have to get PA and worry about SC latter.. don't think that will be a big problem passing through
The Erie County Sheriff's office is on the fifth floor of the courthouse in Erie, PA.
The street address and phone are at the bottom of the linked firearms page

1 - 15 of 15 Posts