New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
2,870 Posts
Also, you do not need an LTCF to open carry in PA, regardless of whether or not you are a resident.

Pay careful attention to the laws. The primary gotchas:

1) You cannot OC in Philadelphia unless you have an LTCF or permit from another state with which PA has a reciprocity agreement.
2) You cannot "OC in a vehicle" unless you have an LTCF or a permit from any state.

This is not a complete list, make sure you read and understand the law.

· Registered
2,442 Posts
So you can open carry in PA, except in Philadelphia and in your car? Who you gonna spook in your car?

· Registered
107 Posts
In PA, you have to have a license from *any* state, to have a firearm (as defined in that section of law) in a vehicle, except under very limited and specific situations. Open, concealed, loaded, unloaded, stripped, locked in the trunk, doesn't matter. Vehicle is pretty broadly defined, too.

There are also other restrictions on carry, you can't carry during a declared state of emergency, unless you have a license (PA, or from a state with a reciprocity agreement) or are exempted from licensing. Can't carry in the federally defined "school zone" unless you have a PA license. (Federal law) If you're coming to PA, you really should read the PA Uniform Firearms Act to understand what you can and can't do.

· Registered
982 Posts
Background: I have a NYS pistol permit but no PA permit.

so, theoretically, the way I see it. and tell me if I am wrong.

Driving to Elysburg, PA., I should:

1: Wear my Crossbreed Supertuck and Blackhawk Serpa Holsters.
2: Conceal my M&P in the Crossbreed until the exact point that I cross the border.
3: At the border, move the M&P to the locked glove box.
4: At Elysburg, When exiting the vehicle, move the M&P to the Blackhawk.

Yes?

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Just get the PA permit. Takes 20 minutes and 20 bucks.

· Registered
982 Posts
Just get the PA permit. Takes 20 minutes and 20 bucks.
I am contemplating that but it's more than "20 minutes and 20 bucks."

I haven't done all the research yet, but maybe someone here can assist. I believe I need to apply in person, which means it's more than 20 minutes as I need to drive to PA. Then, which county should I drive to? Some are better than others, right? Then to what building? Are they open on the weekends or do I need to take a day off work too? It seems like it might not be as simple as you claim.

All that aside, Is what I posted the 'legal' way to go?

· Registered
2,870 Posts
Background: I have a NYS pistol permit but no PA permit.

so, theoretically, the way I see it. and tell me if I am wrong.

Driving to Elysburg, PA., I should:

1: Wear my Crossbreed Supertuck and Blackhawk Serpa Holsters.
2: Conceal my M&P in the Crossbreed until the exact point that I cross the border.
3: At the border, move the M&P to the locked glove box.
4: At Elysburg, When exiting the vehicle, move the M&P to the Blackhawk.

Yes?

Per my understanding, #3 is unnecessary. Since you have a NYS permit, you may carry in a vehicle (there is technically no "open carry" in a vehicle, even if you are OCing, it's still considered CC while you are in the vehicle).

Note that I am assuming that in step 4 you mean you will be carrying openly.

· Registered
2,870 Posts
Is there a difference in a PA resident license and a PA non resident license other than the address? Don't think so.
You are correct, there is no difference in the license.

Non-residents have the luxury of applying to any county they choose, whereas residents must apply to their county of residence.

· Registered
128 Posts

· Registered
2,870 Posts
Um. . . ok. . . What's your point?
Some states have wording in their reciprocity agreements that said reciprocity will only apply for resident permits.

Speaking specifically to the PA LTCF, the following states have reciprocity agreements with PA that only apply to PA residents:
ME
NH
MI
FL
CO

· Registered
1,051 Posts
^This. Don't assume that just because PA has reciprocity with a state, that your non-resident will apply. Thanks to Trayvon, the list will get shorter and shorter as well.

Thankfully MI just recognizes NY's permit so at least one doesn't fall off.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Actually your NY permit is honored by Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin. Thankfully they don't require reciprocity, it's more of a unilateral move and I thank them for it.

Actually should send a letter thanking them for it, and apologizing for NY.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
When in doubt, USACarry's reciprocity flash-based map is useful for learning this info...

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Click the various States where you have a permit (whether resident or non-resident) and you can see where you're good to go. Don't count on the map as being etched in stone, however, sometimes their data can fall behind and become slightly outdated, but for the most part it's usually current.

· Registered
128 Posts
Some states have wording in their reciprocity agreements that said reciprocity will only apply for resident permits.

Speaking specifically to the PA LTCF, the following states have reciprocity agreements with PA that only apply to PA residents:
ME
NH
MI
FL
CO
Thanks for clearing that up for me....appreciate...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.