New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally took the time to drive down and get mine. The traffic coming into Scranton on 81 is a real pain at that time in the afternoon so plan on leaving earlier than you need to. Make sure you get there by 3:30 at the latest and if you print your own application print it double sided or they will not accept so they say. I did not have to worry as mine was done right. :) From the time I got out of the car and back into it it was 20 min. and I found a parking spot that had 27 min. left on the meter so that was a plus.

Now we shall try Ct. NH. Me. Maybe Ma. and probably Ut. or Fla.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I went to Potter Co. just south of Wellsville. Coudersport is Sheriffs office and small town of 2500 so no traffic and parking a breeze.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Went recently to Lackawanna County Courthouse in Scranton, PA. First, I-84 Westbound from NY just before PA is under construction BIG TIME. One lane for miles into PA. So, I finally get into Scranton and find a parking spot out in front of the courthouse. I go inside to 1st floor (Sheriff's office) and hand over my pre printed online form to get another form to fill out because my online form didn't print the back side of the pistol permit form. Waited for about ten minutes and received my plastic pistol permit in hand. Cost $20 for permit and $50 in gas and have to renew in 5 years at which point the sheriff said "see you in person in 5 years" YES, we can not renew by mail but hopefully things will change for the better in 5 years unlike my Utah permit!!! Also make a copy of your home pistol permit

·
Registered
146 Posts
Went recently to Lackawanna County Courthouse in Scranton, PA. First, I-84 Westbound from NY just before PA is under construction BIG TIME. One lane for miles into PA. So, I finally get into Scranton and find a parking spot out in front of the courthouse. I go inside to 1st floor (Sheriff's office) and hand over my pre printed online form to get another form to fill out because my online form didn't print the back side of the pistol permit form. Waited for about ten minutes and received my plastic pistol permit in hand. Cost $20 for permit and $50 in gas and have to renew in 5 years at which point the sheriff said "see you in person in 5 years" YES, we can not renew by mail but hopefully things will change for the better in 5 years unlike my Utah permit!!! Also make a copy of your home pistol permit
Traffic sucks on 84. I live local in orange. I f you are going save the hassle, and enjoy a nice drive. Exit 2 in NY turn left, then turn right at the blinking light (Rt. 6). follow into port jervis, and turn left at TD Bank ( Jersey Ave.). Jersey ave will go over an underpass, and merge onto 209. cross into PA (pick up some cheap cigarettes and fireworks), and follow into Milford. At the only light in Milford you will have to turn left or right. Go Right, and get into I84 West. All traffic on 84 with 1 lane bypassed. I found you save a few minutes driving, but avoid going over the mountain behind a tractor trailer going 30 MPH. Watch out in Matamoras PA since the 25 MPH speed limit is enforced, but its only about a mile.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Anyone know if Scranton will process applications on the weekend? I called the sheriff's office and left a message but haven't heard back yet. I may be down there this weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In case it might help others: I heard back from the Lackawanna sheriff's office. Permitting hours are M - F, 8am - 3:30pm.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I sense this is gonna change soon, better do it while ya can theory.. If all sudden 10 of us going each day from NY, eventually good things like this get shut down.yea they gettin 20$ a pop but the one time **** goes wrong PA gets the blame..after all were grabbin and runnin (kinda like ive been doin with fireworks and PA for years) but this time its see ya in 5 years! Lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts