New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in a Guns Store in Eastern PA yesterday on the way to the range and there were signs all over that said "We Do Not Sell Ammo to NY Residents". Luckily I was with some guys from NJ so we got whatever we needed without a problem, but I pressed them on the sign and asked what this was all about?

He said they would love to sell to us but all NY Residents are required to have a backroung check to buy Ammo under the safe act and they could not sell it to us. I will admit living in NYC I am not as familiar with the specific provisions of SAFE given I have already been living under NYC's own harsh version for years. But is this actually correct? I told the manager I was under the impression this provision only applied to NY Gun Stores and he insisted that they were "Briefed" by State Troopers in April and told not to sell any Ammo to NY...

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
That does not sound right to me. I can buy ammo in NY without a background check why do I need one in Pen.??? the safe act does require background checks for ammo but I dont belive that goes into effect until next year.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
This is not true.
FIRST of all, the Act does not go into effect until January, so that is all BS right there.
Second of all, NYS jurisdiction ends at the border. There is NOTHING they can do to a store in PA that sells ammo to a New Yorker.
THIRD of all, reading the law, there is no prohibition against buying ammo out of State and bringing it back with you, the law only speaks to transfers within the State.

Was this SARCO? I had heard this about them before. I don't know why they would ask for ID to sell ammo in PA anyway.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I've never, ever, been asked for ID when buying ammo, anywhere.

Edit: except online from ammoman or such. Never FTF

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
What a bunch of tards.

Local shop here in NY is actually requiring DL and PP to buy ammo , making copies of each and recording what your buying.

Wildman actually told me about it. I've been to that shop a few times but never bought ammo so I never experienced it myself

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This is not true.
FIRST of all, the Act does not go into effect until January, so that is all BS right there.
Second of all, NYS jurisdiction ends at the border. There is NOTHING they can do to a store in PA that sells ammo to a New Yorker.
THIRD of all, reading the law, there is no prohibition against buying ammo out of State and bringing it back with you, the law only speaks to transfers within the State.

Was this SARCO? I had heard this about them before. I don't know why they would ask for ID to sell ammo in PA anyway.
You miss the intention of the SAFE Act. It is an intentionally vague and confusing law that is intended to discourage firearm use and ownership and entrap honest citizens. So, to be on the safe side many will now further curtail the rights of New Yorker's. An intended consequence. Want to avoid all the risk and confusion? Give up your guns.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Eff PA....you can still buy as much ammo as you want right here...delivered to your door via the innerweb.

Anyone who doesn't have enough to last them if this BS law sticks come next year deserves what they get.

·
Registered
651 Posts
So I was in a Guns Store in Eastern PA yesterday on the way to the range and there were signs all over that said "We Do Not Sell Ammo to NY Residents". Luckily I was with some guys from NJ so we got whatever we needed without a problem, but I pressed them on the sign and asked what this was all about?

He said they would love to sell to us but all NY Residents are required to have a backroung check to buy Ammo under the safe act and they could not sell it to us. I will admit living in NYC I am not as familiar with the specific provisions of SAFE given I have already been living under NYC's own harsh version for years. But is this actually correct? I told the manager I was under the impression this provision only applied to NY Gun Stores and he insisted that they were "Briefed" by State Troopers in April and told not to sell any Ammo to NY...
Penn or NY Troopers? If from NY I would have told them they have no jurisdiction and get the Hell out.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Fireworks = completely illegal in NY. Drive across the PA border and find a fireworks store, they'll sell a NY resident all the fireworks imaginable, while the PA resident standing next to you can't legally purchase most of what the fireworks store has in-stock. NYS jurisdiction ends at the border, and unless there are laws in PA forbidding the sale of ammo to NYS residents (there aren't any), ammo sales are perfectly legal for those across the border. Who's to prove you're not buying the ammo to possess and use for target shooting in PA? It's legal to bring across the border anyway, as long as you're not violating any of NY's frivolous "firearms" penal laws (such as possessing shotgun shells while having a sawed-off shotgun in your vehicle, for example).

This is exactly why I can't understand how NYS can restrict online ammo purchases, mandating that they be shipped to a FFL for the background check. If you're buying out of State online, it should be treated exactly in the same manner as driving into another State and purchasing the ammo in person, since no other State (that I'm aware of) requires background checks for ammo purchases.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I wonder over to Ohio, (in-laws live in Toledo) and Im going to Virginia in July, I'll see what I can find.

Isn't Beikirch's opening a store in Pa.???? I forgot where though

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I buy from Agway in Athens all the time, no issues. Of course, I get all my online ammo shipped to my store too, so no issues there either.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So to answer your questions, Yes it was SARCO. They did not ask me for ID but they did ask for the guys I was with who were from Jersey. I challenged them a little but they were adamant that they were "Briefed" on it by State Troopers (I should have inquired which State in Retrospect) and instructed they are not to sell to NY residents at all. As for Online Sales, Being in NYC that is not really an option for me, so I often would get from PA or other places when I was out of town. This was my first encounter with a PA Gun Shop since SAFE...

·
Registered
926 Posts
the safe act doesn't effect interstate commerse law. during the shove through of the bill the question was asked if the law stopped people from going over the border to buy ammo and the answer was NO. personally I wouldn't buy anything from that store. Sounds like the owner is buddies with a ny trooper. Like what was already said, the law doesn't even take effect till jan 2014 anyways.

·
Registered
720 Posts
What if you have a residence in both states or plan to use the ammo in PA. Sounds like this runs afoul of the constitutions equal protection clause in a big way making the new yorker a second class citizen in all states

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
What if you have a residence in both states or plan to use the ammo in PA. Sounds like this runs afoul of the constitutions equal protection clause in a big way making the new yorker a second class citizen in all states
the correct term would be "SERF" :wacko::unhappy:

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
So to answer your questions, Yes it was SARCO. They did not ask me for ID but they did ask for the guys I was with who were from Jersey. I challenged them a little but they were adamant that they were "Briefed" on it by State Troopers (I should have inquired which State in Retrospect) and instructed they are not to sell to NY residents at all. As for Online Sales, Being in NYC that is not really an option for me, so I often would get from PA or other places when I was out of town. This was my first encounter with a PA Gun Shop since SAFE...
You KNOW it is BS because SARCO is many many miles from the NYS border. There are no NYS Troopers patrolling Easton, PA. If memory serves, it is at least 57 miles from the closest NY border.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts