New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a deal that I couldn't pass up, so I will soon have an AR with an FRS-15. In dealings with that stock at a LGS, I found that I really liked it, but also that it was a little thin in the grip area. I'm thinking about what I can use to beef it up a little. My two thoughts were p-cord and grip tape. Has anyone tried either of these? I thought I saw one with p-cord on here, but can't remember where. If you have one with p-cord, how did you wrap it? I have found several methods online, so I'm looking for advice on what feels good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been making a set of mounts for my Hi-Lift jack and used spray Plasti-Dip for the surfaces that will contact the roof rack bar. After working with it a bit I thought I might like to try wrapping a knife handle with para-cord then covering it with the Plasti-Dip. Would give it texture and grippiness and in a pinch you could peel off the rubber and have the cord.

Just a thought

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been making a set of mounts for my Hi-Lift jack and used spray Plasti-Dip for the surfaces that will contact the roof rack bar. After working with it a bit I thought I might like to try wrapping a knife handle with para-cord then covering it with the Plasti-Dip. Would give it texture and grippiness and in a pinch you could peel off the rubber and have the cord.
Interesting idea. I would definitely try that on something else first, but it could work pretty well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used a piece of 1 3/4" black shrink tubing and heat gunned it over the grip area. It shrinks very tight and increased the girth of the grip about 1/16" all around. It does mush out a lot of the checkering and the length needs to be cut oversize by about 1/2".

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a piece of 1 3/4" black shrink tubing and heat gunned it over the grip area. It shrinks very tight and increased the girth of the grip about 1/16" all around. It does mush out a lot of the checkering and the length needs to be cut oversize by about 1/2".
Hadn't thought about using that. Pics?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts