New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but found no results directly on this topic. Hope you guys can help.
I have a semi custom 1911 on order from an outfit in Idaho. I have been told I can register that gun in NYS without paying sales tax on an out of state purchase. Is that true and if so how do you make that happen. My local dealer wants to see a sales receipt and will request sales tax.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Use a different dealer.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Its not really his responsibility to collect or ensure taxes have been paid. Its your responsibilty to make sure you pay them. Thats why your taxes ask if you bought anything online that you didnt pay tax on.

But yes like Bob said use a different FFL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's a dealer on Rt 82 in Hopewell Jct NY... only one there.

The transfer fees are reasonable... they get $35. He is very convenient and they are good people...

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
A dealer shouldn't be collecting sales tax on the gun purchase, because you aren't buying the gun from them. The only thing you are buying from them is the service of receiving the gun. They can charge tax on the $35 though. Maybe check out Liberty guns in Farmington. I've never been there, but they may charge what they are supposed to.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sounds to me like that store should be having a little Sales tax audit done

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

The transfer fees are reasonable... they get $35. He is very convenient and they are good people...
yeah, he tried to pull that shat on me on a long gun purchase so I went elsewhere. try precison arms in Carmel.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Hopewell Junction is in Dutchess County, about 300 miles away.
Lol, I was thinking Hopewell. My mistake. Either way... find a new FFL.

·
Registered
664 Posts

I would find it hard to call someone a good person who steals from his costumers which is what he is doing if he's charging people tax on purchases not made in his store. Not to mention I'm guessing that would be considered tax fraud.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I would find it hard to call someone a good person who steals from his costumers which is what he is doing if he's charging people tax on purchases not made in his store. Not to mention I'm guessing that would be considered tax fraud.
Not if he sends the money collected to NY

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all the feedback. The dealer I used has an unbelieveable business... and the lowest prices around. I'm going to call and talk to the owner and see what he says... but most likely I will use another dealer for this transaction.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback. The dealer I used has an unbelieveable business... and the lowest prices around. I'm going to call and talk to the owner and see what he says... but most likely I will use another dealer for this transaction.
I know exactly who you are talking about. The shop is highly regarded on this board but there is no talking to him on this issue. As i suggested, try precision arms in Carmel, or if you want to cross the river, Master Arms in Suffern, I believe. For me it was just the princicpal of the matter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know exactly who you are talking about. The shop is highly regarded on this board but there is no talking to him on this issue. As i suggested, try precision arms in Carmel, or if you want to cross the river, Master Arms in Suffern, I believe. For me it was just the princicpal of the matter.
Thank you... I will definitely try Precision Arms.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The dealer can charge sales tax on the transfer but not on the sale of an internet purchase from out of state. It is up to you to pay for out of state taxes. He doesn't report sales tax on purchases a customer made from an out of state purchase online becuase he did not sell the item, he simply is providing a service to you for the transfer. Your call, either pay tax to him or find a new guy.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Technically, I believe the dealer is supposed to charge sales tax on the transfer fee as he is providing a service in NYS and services provided in NYS are taxable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts