New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a student at Syracuse University and I'm living off campus for the next couple years, so one of my roommates and I would like to get into shooting. However, his girlfriend's father doesn't want guns in the house,no matter how they are stored, so we would have to find some other place to store them. I was wondering if anyone here knew of anyplace in the Syracuse area that would store rifles so we could still get into the sport. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Unless he's paying for the house, either tell him to **** off, or lie and keep them anyway. Lock them up in a place he can't get to when he visits.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yeah man...I'm a little baffled by this thread. If you're both legally allowed to posess firearms (personally, and in the dwelling) someone needs to grow a pair; either your buddy, of his girl's dad. But on the flip side, why the hell should you be un-able to keep one? The dad's ignorant stance on firearms isn't your problem, afterall.

But to address your original question...have you looked up any places that offer secure storage lockers? I'm not even sure if they exist in this area, but it's worth a little research. Other than that, I really don't see a lot of options for you if you don't have many other friends in the area.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Tell him to get a new gf. Keep them in the house. If he insists on keeping gf and gf's dad keeps being a douche you can tell him hes more then welcome to pay all of your housing expenses and then you will follow his wishes.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
OK, I'll bite. I'm assuming GF father owns the house you're living in. In that case, too bad for you or get a local storage locker.... If that's not the case, why do you care?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If GF's father owns the house he's freakin' wrong to have moved in to begin with LOL

Let us count the ways...
GF gets pissed at BF, eviction
Father gets pissed at daughter humping college bum, eviction
Roomy misses payment that you can't cover, and since contract is prolly in both your names, you both get to leave.
And any other number of possibilites above and beyond the regular PITA stuff associated with rental.

If its not his house, nay shoulda let GF know to begin with, 'cause sure as **** she'll end up in a hissy fit when she catches BF doing something real or imagined and tell daddy, at which point he'll **** you in retribution, or for some piddly crap or no reason at all other than he don't like guns even if daughter doesn't have any issue herself.
As she already knows, at least don't let her know how many.

Drywall is easily worked for 'in wall' storage, and easily repaired when it comes time to move out.
Hardwood floors are also viable, as are drop ceilings.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
More to the point:
As NY pistol registration process is brutally slow, most gun shops have a hold-for-small-fee system in place.
(by 'shop' I mean just that. not gander mountain or whatever chain, but a privately owned mom-n-pop type business)

Perhaps an arrangement could be made with one so that for a few bucks a month he'll sit on your stuff in a very secure gun shop, and you can get it out any time he's open for business.

However, if you take that route you'll want photos, serial #'s, a very specific contract, and if at all possible, insurance so that you don't lose your propety to a 'whoops, accidentally sold it' incident, police raid for whatever dumb reason, or outright robbery of (or by) the shop.

You want to be able to unqustionably identify your proprerty and be able to obtain it within reasonable bounds without hassle.
'Reasonable' would be hours of operation, same day, not 'we need 2 weeks notice and you have to show up on the second Tuesday of next week between 26:00 and 26:08'

That may neccecitate picking stuff up Friday for use Saturday then drop off Monday if shop isn't open on weekends, but sitting on them for a weekend isn't too big a hassle I'd imagine.
Plus it would givwe you the time you desperately need to clean and familiarize with what you've gotten hold of.

Regarding insurance, check out renters insurance if you've not already.
Fairly cheap, and can cover a lot of things in the event of theft or damage from (insert incident like fire or whatever)
Nice to have in general, but very useful should you decide to keep the guns in the residence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts