New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
I won't defend NY's laws, nor will I argue that some are not silly....... But, I would put him in the irresponsible gun owner's club for leaving all his $hit in plain sight in an UNLOCKED truck!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I had to go to SUNY Adirondack CC today, left my pistol home, and then went back to pick it up before going about my business today. Why take the chance. Ignorance of the law is not ignorant, just stupid.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
And why the hell would he agree to the search???
A mere formality. He didn't have to consent, but his vehicle would have been searched anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A mere formality. He didn't have to consent, but his vehicle would have been searched anyway.
True... but still, make it harder for them to find. Regardless, I would agree that he is under the irresponsible gun owner category.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
My roommate and I used to bring our guns to campus in Oswego but we'd drive them straight to campus police and they would let us store them there so that we could go hunt without having to drive to our parents to pick them up.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Either way they were going to find them but atleast because he consented I actually think it could work in his favor because he cooperated and consenting to the search could also show that he didnt know what he did was illegal and he could get some leniency.

But yea even if he didnt know it was illegal he is still dumb for leaving them in plain view because if someone other then campus police saw them they may have broken into his car and taken them.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
But yea even if he didnt know it was illegal he is still dumb for leaving them in plain view because if someone other then campus police saw them they may have broken into his car and taken them.
No need to break in...

"University Police observed his unlocked pickup truck with the back window partly open and a weapon visible inside. The truck was in Lot 11 on campus."

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Yea you are right... and yes I agree with you that he is irresponsible, I know in the Marines they are all about ensuring your issued firearm is secured and with you at all times when not in the Armory so I cant understand why he could be so careless.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I have to agree that was dumb, being unlocked and in plain sight alone was dumb move for the safety of it to begin with.

·
Registered
239 Posts
....because if someone other then campus police saw them they may have broken into his car and taken them.
...or called campus PD to report seeing a gun, and having the entire place put on lockdown while SWAT teams search the area.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
They take weapons pretty seriously on the SUNY campuses I have been on. I took a public speaking class while attending Alfred State about 10 years ago. We had to give a 5 minute demonstration speech. I decided to show people how to use a paintball gun. I talked to the teacher about it, and he said to check with campus police if I could do it. Campus police made me store the paintball gun with them until an hour before the speech, and I had to return it to them right after my speech. All that fuss over a paintball gun.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Irresponsible on his part, and could have been easily avoided. Its still sad that laws like this exist, and a OTHERWISE law abiding gun owner is being brought up on charges. Whether the guy is a Marine or not, this strikes a chord with me.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
NYS gun laws or not, I believe there's only one college in the country that allows firearms, and that's in TX (or at least they were talking about allowing it). So whether he knew NY laws or not is irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts