New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm near the end of the 10 hour online course for the OSHA construction safety certification. It's a new thing applicants must do for my union, before we can even apply. It's soul crushingly boring.

Anyone in a trade where this is required? The only section that has actually applied to me is electricity. I'm already certified on aerial lifts and booms, will never work in a trench, and our scaffolding systems are mobile as opposed to connected to buildings.

I work as an electrician/lighting technician in the film industry.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I am an instructor for both the Generalindustry and the Construction courses, I know what you mean by boring. Does the Union require resert on the 10 hour after a number of years? I know the Army Safety School wouldn't accept my certs if they were over a year old and taught by anyone other than EKU. To me that is Fraud, Waste and Abuse since the instructor certs are good for 4 years. If you need to resert the 10 hour course are now available on line I think the cost is 85 bucks. All the construction companies on Fort Drum require the 10 hour Construction course before applying for a job with them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm doing the online version, it's up to $89 now. As far as I know, everyone that is already a member of my union only has to attend a safety seminar once a year, but I don't believe I will be required to restart the OSHA 10 once passing.

I agree with what you said about fraud, waste and abuse. Why be redundant if a cert. is good for 4 years?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does I guess. I was in my position for 9 years when they came up with this neat idea that basically said if you have not attended their 16 week course you were not a certified safety professional. So I sat through 16 weeks of classes that I could have been teaching. We went over everything from Army Regulations to OSHA regulations, explosives, tactical and radiation a great majority I was already certified on and those course didn't even meet refresher requirements for my certs. Well now I am a "real boy" and am certified to do the job I was already certified to do.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
I'm in the architecture/engineering world and have it. Mainly for confined space entries, but we do rent lifts from time to time as well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I work for NYC we have OSHA PESH and NYCOSH plus since I work on a ship we have the USCG to deal with. I need a safety harness and a hard hat on to take a $h1T.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i work at a Sheet Metal Manufacturing Fabricators shop and to do any installs you need your OSHA card and to even get on a rate job for the state.best thing about it after you do it one time lasts forever..i have done the class 4 times well somewhat.boss would have OSHA come to the shop and do the class for like 3 other Contractors to save on there price tag but now all new guys do the online class...i still love that osha didnt get my name right on my card and told the guy and he said oh well

·
Registered
687 Posts
i work at a Sheet Metal Manufacturing Fabricators shop and to do any installs you need your OSHA card and to even get on a rate job for the state.best thing about it after you do it one time lasts forever..i have done the class 4 times well somewhat.boss would have OSHA come to the shop and do the class for like 3 other Contractors to save on there price tag but now all new guys do the online class...i still love that osha didnt get my name right on my card and told the guy and he said oh well
Actually there are more and more owners that are requiring recertification of the 10 and 30. The VA is requiring it be completed within 3 years for their projects. We have some private owners requiring the same.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I went down to the union hall, and they turned away at least 30 guys (and there are 4 more application days this week) for not having their aerial lift certification, as well as the OSHA 10 certification. In the past this union required you to only have the aerial lift cert. before you can take the craft test or get your member card. But as usual, they threw a last minute curve ball. Glad I got it done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts