New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
"How is it that there were no officers available to assist the woman who was about be raped, but they did have officers available to go and arrest the man after the rape? The police department should be sued for their failure to protect a tax paying citizen,"
Having to read these statements of ignorance actually borders on pain.

There were no sworn LEO on duty due to budget cuts, how hard is it to understand that LEO are just men and women with a job to do, and they have lives outside their job. Like any other service, you get what you pay for. They can not be sued either of course, because LEO have no legal obligation to put their own lives at risk to assist another person (although that may be a conditional duty of their job).

LEO are there to keep the peace and order in society and investigate any suspected violations of the laws. They are not there to protect you, or help you in any specific circumstance. Many will do just that of course, but that is a personal decision, not a legal requirement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's true. In fact there was a case in NY of Jenna Griseshaber who called 911 when a stranger entered her apartment. Operator tells her help is on the way and Jenna then starts screaming. Police arrive at her apartment and when they hear a dog barking they wait 30 min. for animal control to arrive before entering her apartment, where they find Jenna dead from a murder.

Source: Google Scholar

·
Registered
361 Posts
LEO are there to keep the peace and order in society and investigate any suspected violations of the laws. They are not there to protect you, or help you in any specific circumstance. Many will do just that of course, but that is a personal decision, not a legal requirement.
Huh?

Most police department still go by the motto "To Protect & Serve".

If you can't live by that motto, you shouldn't be a police officer. Period.

It's too bad, really. It seems that cops are becoming nothing more than revenue generators for the community/city/county/state that they swore to protect and serve...

·
Registered
157 Posts
If people would stop calling the police for stupid crap they would be available and have a faster response time. In this case there was no one to send. This is not the fault of the police or the dispatcher who was left on her own to explain this to the poor woman. The feds cut the budget which caused the layoff of more than half of the sheriffs department but they have plenty of money to increase Florida's welfare program by 1 billion. It is a fact that the police have no duty to protect individual citizens, the reason being that there would be a law suit every time someone was a victim of a crime.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
"You know, obviously, if he comes inside the residence and assaults you, can you ask him to go away? Do you know if he’s intoxicated or anything?”

I think what the dispatcher was trying to say, without losing her job was to stab his ass or something. Dispatchers can't tell you to shoot, stab or defend yourself in a violent way against someone, they just can't. I think the emphasis on the dispatcher telling him to "go away" is taken the wrong way. I think she was trying t hint to the woman to defend herself and praying it worked out since nothing could be done.

Budget cuts on a police force that high are scary.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The title is misleading. The dispatcher didn't "refuse" to send police out there. She couldn't, because none were available. People don't realize, the world keeps on turning and we're often busy with things that the public isn't aware of. Therefore, the world does not revolve around you and your problems.

That being said, a woman being raped is a VERY high priority call and should be tended to as quickly as possible. There's no other way to word that - as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
It's true. In fact there was a case in NY of Jenna Griseshaber who called 911 when a stranger entered her apartment. Operator tells her help is on the way and Jenna then starts screaming. Police arrive at her apartment and when they hear a dog barking they wait 30 min. for animal control to arrive before entering her apartment, where they find Jenna dead from a murder.

That's absolutely disgusting, but officers don't have an obligation to protect you, no matter how much the liberals want that to be true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I think what the dispatcher was trying to say, without losing her job was to stab his ass or something. Dispatchers can't tell you to shoot, stab or defend yourself in a violent way against someone, they just can't. I think the emphasis on the dispatcher telling him to "go away" is taken the wrong way. I think she was trying t hint to the woman to defend herself and praying it worked out since nothing could be done.

Budget cuts on a police force that high are scary.
Where did you hear that dispatchers can't tell somebody to defend themselves? It goes without saying they can't make the decisions for that person but to tell somebody NOT to use force to defend themselves is something else entirely....

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Having to read these statements of ignorance actually borders on pain.

There were no sworn LEO on duty due to budget cuts, how hard is it to understand that LEO are just men and women with a job to do, and they have lives outside their job. Like any other service, you get what you pay for. They can not be sued either of course, because LEO have no legal obligation to put their own lives at risk to assist another person (although that may be a conditional duty of their job).

While it's unlikely that any officer could have gotten there in time to stop this, are you telling me that every other officer in this entire department was doing something more important than stopping a rape at the time ?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
the anti gunners commenting on that story are blithering idiots.
My favorite stupid statement is "He would have probably taken the gun and used it against her".

Well, if it's that easy, why couldn't she just take it back ?

Duh, 'cause if you shoot them before they take it you don't have to worry.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
While it's unlikely that any officer could have gotten there in time to stop this, are you telling me that every other officer in this entire department was doing something more important than stopping a rape at the time ?
That depends on how many officers were on duty. The story says that nearly 80% of the department was laid-off. How many were there to start with?

I do not blame the Police on this at all. Resources are being cut all over the Country to feed the Social Services machine. When we continue to give 47% or more of our resources to the "poor" and the "needy", there is only so much we can give to other needed agencies.

Yet another great story to prove that we need an armed society!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
But but but- I thought they were just supposed to call 911 and they'd be saved?

Huh?

Most police department still go by the motto "To Protect & Serve".

If you can't live by that motto, you shouldn't be a police officer. Period.

It's too bad, really. It seems that cops are becoming nothing more than revenue generators for the community/city/county/state that they swore to protect and serve...
Sabretooth, have a gander at this-
Warren v. District of Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pour yourself a drink first though. If you aren't familiar with the story and how the SCOTUS ultimately ruled you're gonna need it

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
That depends on how many officers were on duty. The story says that nearly 80% of the department was laid-off. How many were there to start with?

I do not blame the Police on this at all. Resources are being cut all over the Country to feed the Social Services machine. When we continue to give 47% or more of our resources to the "poor" and the "needy", there is only so much we can give to other needed agencies.

Yet another great story to prove that we need an armed society!
If they can't afford to have officers on duty 24/7, then they need an on call rotation.

Most corp IT departments can't afford to have someone on duty 24/7, but if something important happens at 2am on a sunday night there is usually someone who's job it is to get out of bed and head in.

You don't wake someone up for every tresspassing call, but it seems to me that this was important enough that in a department so small that you don't have officers on duty 24/7 you'd get the sherriff out of bed if you had to. Sure the response time would suck, but it'd be better than never.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Spat you would resurrect an old thread just to bash police on their "inaction" and also their inability to work for free. The public wants to cut public services to get low taxes, and this was/is guaranteed to happen.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts

Oh damn thats messed up..... lawsuit for the family. Someone has got to pay. She did the right thing by calling and got death for it, so sad.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Spat you would resurrect an old thread just to bash police on their "inaction" and also their inability to work for free. The public wants to cut public services to get low taxes, and this was/is guaranteed to happen.
This is the second time I have had an old thread show up on top when I select "today's posts".

I had no intention of resurrecting an old post, I thought I was replying to a post from earlier today.
I agree that the public sometimes gets what it deserves when it cuts services, but the "on call" concept is quite common in many professions, and while I agree that being the guy "on call" sucks, it isn't looked on as "working for free". Many employers will offer an increase in pay rate for people who are on call, others consider it part of the job.

I disagree with your point about cutting taxes, I don't know too many places in the US where a significant tax cut couldn't be made without affecting the services provided to the public. Just because you object to being overtaxed doesn't mean you should be left without fundamental government services.

But my biggest objection is the fact that this department didn't follow the lead of some others forced into long response times, and to suggest that citizens arm themselves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts