New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Orchard Park homeowner, son hold attempted burglary suspects at gunpoint - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Two Lancaster men attempting to break into a home on Transit Road in Orchard Park early Monday were held at gunpoint for police, Orchard Park police said.
Jacob Rappleye, 18, and Anthony Guarino, 22, are charged with attempted burglary, criminal mischief and unlawful possession of marijuana. During arraignment, Rappleye was released on bail, and Guarino was sent to Erie County Holding Center in lieu of bail.
Orchard Park police said the two, dressed in dark clothing, tried to break into the house by extending a ladder to a second-story window. Orchard Park police were alerted at about 1 a.m., and while en route, they learned the suspects were being held at gunpoint, said police. They added that the homeowner and his son had heard a noise outside the house and confronted the two.
The incident remains under investigation, police said.

This is about 3 minutes from my house. Thank god for Shepherd 1, Shepherd 2 and Mossberg.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Not sure what house it is, but if it's in the area I think it is, it's a fairly isolated property close to Murray's nurseries

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone probably stole the SafeAct repeal sign the day before.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Nothing like trying to break into a house with a pocket full 'o' weed.

Glad that to hear the good guys won and no shots fired.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Interesting legal implications of this case, potentially. I expect the homeowners to get a pat on the back, but legally speaking, holding somebody at gun point like that is probably dubious. What if the guys decided to make a run for it, could the home owners have shot them only to prevent their escape, since at the time of the gunpoint-holding the homeowners were pretty reasonably no longer under fear of pain? What I'm saying is I think legally speaking they couldn't have shot them at that point, so the holding at gunpoint was a bluff; if the burglars had tried to escape at that point they could have possibly gotten away. That is, unless the homeowners deliberately placed themselves between the suspects and retreat; then they could claim they were defending themselves if the suspects tried to flee.

Meh, all my rambling aside good for them. Like I said, I imagine the cops gave them a pat on the back.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Interesting legal implications of this case, potentially. I expect the homeowners to get a pat on the back, but legally speaking, holding somebody at gun point like that is probably dubious. What if the guys decided to make a run for it, could the home owners have shot them only to prevent their escape, since at the time of the gunpoint-holding the homeowners were pretty reasonably no longer under fear of pain? What I'm saying is I think legally speaking they couldn't have shot them at that point, so the holding at gunpoint was a bluff; if the burglars had tried to escape at that point they could have possibly gotten away. That is, unless the homeowners deliberately placed themselves between the suspects and retreat; then they could claim they were defending themselves if the suspects tried to flee.

Meh, all my rambling aside good for them. Like I said, I imagine the cops gave them a pat on the back.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts

Well if the Fleeing actually happened. We might find out. Mean time, dude and his boy protected themselves.

but yeah, there is a point where shooting is no longer the right course of action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts