New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need something that throws .223 downrange. Originally, I had my eyes on a Remington 700 Tactical, but I've heard quite a few positives things about Savage lately. They never really were on my radar, but I've seen some vids and other reviews on them, and all seem good.

But, I like to hear what guys on here have to say. The one I'd probably have my eye on is the model 10 Precision Carbine;

Savage Arms

It's got a similar look to the 700 Tactical, and around the same price. I feel a little 'mall ninja' with the MARPAT camo stock, but I kinda like it :p Anywho, would love to hear opinions, especially on the trigger, as that's what so many people seem to say Savage has improved over the years.

I'm also pretty sure the threaded barrel is GTG because it's on a bolt action...yes?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I thought threaded barrels were verboten regardless of action.

Nice piece, but if it's the same money as a 700 I'd go with the Rem. Pick up a used Sendero and be happy.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I considered a bolt-action .223 as well, but for what I need it for (occasional longer distance--non tack driver--and predominantly fun, "legal" range toy) I picked up a Mini-14 Ranch and scoped it. I already have an older Mini in the stable, but I like it so damn much, it was easy to buy another one in the ranch setup.

In regards to your original question, I would also take a look at the MVP. Huge plus that it takes AR mags, IMO.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I considered a bolt-action .223 as well, but for what I need it for (occasional longer distance--non tack driver--and predominantly fun, "legal" range toy) I picked up a Mini-14 Ranch and scoped it. I already have an older Mini in the stable, but I like it so damn much, it was easy to buy another one in the ranch setup.

In regards to your original question, I would also take a look at the MVP. Huge plus that it takes AR mags, IMO.
The MVP does look kinda badass; and the idea of using MagPul 10 rounders in it is appealing. Have you shot it yourself?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Threaded barrels in bolt actions are ok with the SAFE BS law. With the .223 you will hardly need any devices there.

Amazing value out of the box. But whether Remington 700 of savage 10 keep in mind the 1:9 twist.
It will be perfect for match 69 smks, 75amax and even some 77gr match but then I don't know what your goal is.
If you want the best bullets the .223 has to offer I would do straight to a 1:7 twist but there aren't any so in this case
you might consider to get a hog hunter and rebarrel that is a piece of cake vs the remington (expensive).
Either way you want to add a medallist stock and maybe a mag system.

If you are ok wiht the 75gr and some 77gr-80gr maybe then start with that one and later down the road you can do the re-barreling
anyway.

The stock is not a sniper stock but the accustock has aluminum bedding and it is the best value out of the box one can get
right now. Many who criticize the accustok or the accutrigger have never tried them.
So if you are ok with the twist the rifle is a great out of the fox value. This coming form someone who loves a good remington 700.

Add a nice glass. If you are on at tight budget a SWFA fix magification or a weaver tactical in the low magnificaiton range.
Then go shoot. Accuracy is way above the average just like the remington SPS the only thing the remington factory stock
is garbage.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The MVP does look kinda badass; and the idea of using MagPul 10 rounders in it is appealing. Have you shot it yourself?
If you jump away from the 700 and savage 10 you are reducing your possibilities and lowering your expectations.
Yes the AR magazine is nice but you can later fit a 700 or savage 10 with an AR mag if you like it so much.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Threads are GTG on a bolt gun still
The stock is crap .... complete crap ( realized its prob a model with the accustock ... if it is thats WAY better than the regular ones or the remmy ones)... just as crappy as on the 700s in the same price range but it can be improved a tiny bit or replaced
The savages are more accurate with less work .... the Remington could end up better and cost you more ..... if you are gonna buy it , change the stock and a couple of things and shoot the piss out of it I don't think you could go wrong .... I have owned and shot both platforms a lot ... a nice 700 is nicer than a nice savage but the savage will still outshoot it ... the actions feel different is all .... and as for the accutrigger ... I like it quite a bit its a really decent factory trigger pretty adjustable and safe .... I know a lot of people that hate it .... Its a preference thing I guess ... either way its a mechanically sound design and it works well
For reference I have or have owned savage model 10s and 110s both regular and law enforcement models they all shot well above their price
Also have or have owned several remmington model 700s sps , tacs , xcr tlr, .... some clunky,some sweet ... plenty of parts for them but out of the box they were all just fair shooters with the exception of the xcr tlr .... I did really like the feel of it
Anyways if I had the cash in hand to run out right now to purchase a bolt gun .... I would lean heavy to the savage ... shoot great , feel good , theres enough after market for them to get it the way you want

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The accutrigger has a little play side to side a bit estrange at first but I don't think it is a huge deal and overall it is a great value out of the box.
People hate it because of the same reasons some hate AKs or glocks. Cannot articulate one good single reason for their hate.
Fashion heads maybe.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Threaded barrels in bolt actions are ok with the SAFE BS law. With the .223 you will hardly need any devices there.

Amazing value out of the box. But whether Remington 700 of savage 10 keep in mind the 1:9 twist.
It will be perfect for match 69 smks, 75amax and even some 77gr match but then I don't know what your goal is.
If you want the best bullets the .223 has to offer I would do straight to a 1:7 twist but there aren't any so in this case
you might consider to get a hog hunter and rebarrel that is a piece of cake vs the remington (expensive).
Either way you want to add a medallist stock and maybe a mag system.

If you are ok wiht the 75gr and some 77gr-80gr maybe then start with that one and later down the road you can do the re-barreling
anyway.

The stock is not a sniper stock but the accustock has aluminum bedding and it is the best value out of the box one can get
right now. Many who criticize the accustok or the accutrigger have never tried them.
So if you are ok with the twist the rifle is a great out of the fox value. This coming form someone who loves a good remington 700.

Add a nice glass. If you are on at tight budget a SWFA fix magification or a weaver tactical in the low magnificaiton range.
Then go shoot. Accuracy is way above the average just like the remington SPS the only thing the remington factory stock
is garbage.
This is pretty much just going to be a range toy to fill the gaping, AR-shaped void in my life. The stock I did want to upgrade, which I know is more available for the 700 series than the Savage. And I love the look of the medalist series; and to go with that, I did want to add the detachable mag option that's out there for it. It doesn't have to take AR mags, it's just a neat idea, I suppose =)

Optics are not usually something I skimp on. It just seems dumb to me to buy a $700 gun, possibly a $400 stock, and $250 mag conversion, and then dump a $100 scope on it :p

But, to the Savage, it really hit my radar because I've heard a lot of glowing reviews from so many people lately, especially on the trigger. I have never had trigger time with a Savage myself. I have shot Remingtons, both 700 and 710 (and I'm one of the few on earth that didn't hate the 710).

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
No, but it was a serious contender for me when I was seriously considering a BA .223

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
This is pretty much just going to be a range toy to fill the gaping, AR-shaped void in my life. The stock I did want to upgrade, which I know is more available for the 700 series than the Savage. And I love the look of the medalist series; and to go with that, I did want to add the detachable mag option that's out there for it. It doesn't have to take AR mags, it's just a neat idea, I suppose =)

Optics are not usually something I skimp on. It just seems dumb to me to buy a $700 gun, possibly a $400 stock, and $250 mag conversion, and then dump a $100 scope on it :p

But, to the Savage, it really hit my radar because I've heard a lot of glowing reviews from so many people lately, especially on the trigger. I have never had trigger time with a Savage myself. I have shot Remingtons, both 700 and 710 (and I'm one of the few on earth that didn't hate the 710).
If you are going to upgrade the stock then consider the 700 too and the xmark trigger is fine too.
The issue with the factory setups is that normally these savage and sps are super accurate but so it happens once in a while there is one hta tis not so accurate. It will be more accurate than the average I am sure but there is not guarantee of consistency in mass produced ones.
But if your plan is to upgrade right away you can also start with the lower end accutrigger (Around $400) and then do the stock and shoot that barrel to see how it does (even a hunting one) or to jump directly in rebarreling that you might be able to do youself since with savage is simple.
The medalist and a nice bottom will be in teh same plan.

One thing I can do is for folks interested explain how to get an AR bottom magazine and build a centerstack AR VLD magazine on a bolt action Remington or Savage. Something many want but don't know how to do it. I am doing this for my son so I can later create a thread on the subject I guess.
The centerstack AR magazine is very attractive to .223, AI and 6x45 long range shooters as it provides room for 2.45 max COAL long range or hunting rounds (whatever the purpose) making this a nice improvement over any other AR fitted system. It is also cheaper than the AI system and magazines.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are going to upgrade the stock then consider the 700 too and the xmark trigger is fine too.
The issue with the factory setups is that normally these savage and sps are super accurate but so it happens once in a while there is one hta tis not so accurate. It will be more accurate than the average I am sure but there is not guarantee of consistency in mass produced ones.
But if your plan is to upgrade right away you can also start with the lower end accutrigger (Around $400) and then do the stock and shoot that barrel to see how it does (even a hunting one) or to jump directly in rebarreling that you might be able to do youself since with savage is simple.
The medalist and a nice bottom will be in teh same plan.

One thing I can do is for folks interested explain how to get an AR bottom magazine and build a centerstack AR VLD magazine on a bolt action Remington or Savage. Something many want but don't know how to do it. I am doing this for my son so I can later create a thread on the subject I guess.
The centerstack AR magazine is very attractive to .223, AI and 6x45 long range shooters as it provides room for 2.45 max COAL long range or hunting rounds (whatever the purpose) making this a nice improvement over any other AR fitted system. It is also cheaper than the AI system and magazines.
If I went with the 700, it would be this;

Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 2 Remington 700 SPS BDL Savage 10/12 Weatherby Vanguard Howa 1500 Vertical Grip 2092, 2096, 2997, 2998 & 2999

This;

New! VersaPod Steel Modular Bipod System Fits All Forends - Flat (2094, 2092), Varmint (LRV, PST025) & Sporting

and this;

Wyatt's DetMag (M4) Flush Mount Detachable Magazine Assembly - Remington 700 BDL Short (223 308), Long (30-06 300 Win) and XL (300 RUM 338 Lapua)

right off the bat.

I think that would cover a lot of upgrades right off the bat, and the M4 mag system is made for the B&C stocks, so no futzing around with fitting and whatnot, and still fulfills my urge for a detachable mag. I don't have any more AR mags, anyway, so I guess in the long run it doesn't matter what kind of mags it takes; the proprietary ones are a tad pricey, but I probably don't need more than 2, anyway.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Meke, with you being one of the reasons I'm addicted to 6.8 SPC II, have you done a savage 10 conversion to 6.8spc? Or a 700?

I too, like the OP, am looking for a bolt gun but maybe something a little different. I have a savage scout in 308 and for the money (paid $275 used from my neighbor that's an FFL) trigger and accuracy are outstanding. Figure get one of these and do in a different caliber.

Also coming out from Mossberg is the MVP in 308 with pistol grip (at style), collapsible stock (AR style) and the whole grip /stock setup is removable. Has rail over fluted action for a scope and accepts AR10 mags. I believe they are making same stock / grip deal in 223 as well.

Ya know, to further complicate decision making.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
It is funny you say this because I was thinking rebarreling a savage or remmy to 700 and to use the AR15 magazines!! yes you heard me.
I think the MVP, the ruger are nice and all that but they are not in the same league as the savage 10 and 700. parts, consistency, availability, aftermarket and specially track record.
I you go through the serious firing lines all you will see are Remingtons, some savages and a few high end AI, sako, etc..
You will not see mossbergs and such "and that's the way it is".... like Larry Potterfield says.
If you like the AR10 magazines so much then that can be done in any rifle but after you try an AI magazine then it will be hard to
take it out of your hand. LOL.
I need to wait on the 6.8 bolt though. I have too many things going right now.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
It is funny you say this because I was thinking rebarreling a savage or remmy to 700 and to use the AR15 magazines!! yes you heard me.
I think the MVP, the ruger are nice and all that but they are not in the same league as the savage 10 and 700. parts, consistency, availability, aftermarket and specially track record.
I you go through the serious firing lines all you will see are Remingtons, some savages and a few high end AI, sako, etc..
You will not see mossbergs and such "and that's the way it is".... like Larry Potterfield says.
If you like the AR10 magazines so much then that can be done in any rifle but after you try an AI magazine then it will be hard to
take it out of your hand. LOL.
I need to wait on the 6.8 bolt though. I have too many things going right now.
well, when you decide to do a 6.8 bolt to take ar mags, let's each do one together and share successes and learning opportunities. I decided on sticking with AR15 platform and going 6.8 instead of going into 308 with AR10. For distances I wanted and uses, weight of AR10 wasnt practical. However, for a bolt gun in 308, the savage worked for me. My issue with Rem 700 is same with 1911s.... If I get back into a 1911s or go for a 700, the 1911 would have to be a Wilson Combat and the 700 would be dirty business. As in, if I do'em, gonna be costly and done right the first time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.