New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every good one I come across is quite a few hundred dollars, and I was wondering if anyone was poor at one time like I am lol, and needed a cheap hold them over for sighting in their firearms. I have no way at all of telling how far 100 yards is, and 100 yards is what EVERY firearm usually starts out being sighted to, so I found this on Ebay:

Barska Golf Scope AA10199 8x22 Monocular - 8x 22 mm - Water Proof (790272111251) | eBay

I know it is a golf scope but it's cheaper then the bushnell stuff I keep finding, what are your opinions? You think that'll do? Or even better has anyone actually used that for range finding perhaps?

I'm just getting fed up with putting optics and red dots on my rifles and sighting them in at an estimated distance without really knowing what it is, I would like to be able to actually say "O yea my AK shoots a 3 inch group at 100 yards." or whatever, that was just an example cuz I have no idea what kind group it would fire >_< I can't measure it lol.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pretty sure that this range finder (should not be called a range finder) only works on golf courses. It has you place the bottom line on the green and measure to the top of the flag to give you an estimate to the pin. It will only work with standard height pins on a golf course.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well crap, do you or anyone know of any range finders that aren't $100+? I don't have that kinda money right now, probably won't for quite awhile since most of my cash is going towards down payments and stuff on a new apartment

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If you are shooting a target you can walk to it right? count your steps. If you cannot trust your steps take a landscape measuring tape and
mark the 25 yards. Put a stick and do it three more times, that will give you the 100 yards precisely. If you do not have a 25 yards measuring
tape then buy 20 or 25 yards of cheap cord and do the same. Even a 100 yards role is not that expensive and you can use it later for packaging
or something. If you do not have a measuring tape tie your shoe laces or a cord at 1 yard and walk 100 steps slowly so you so not trip.
The longer cord you use the better and less times you have to put a stack to mark the different segments. make
sure the cord is not too soft and streches too much. I would personally measure the cord myself in the hardware to make sure it is done right. Make a not at the desired mark.

Regarding the above save your money whatever it is. If you are going to get a scope get something with a range finder capabilities and learn how to use it at known distances.
Also look for an old bushnell or something at a garage sale rather than burning any dollars in garbage.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can walk to the target yes but most of the time it is on some rough terrain, like over a small brooke and some fallen down trees, I shoot usually on my friends properties no where usually flat, but the string thing would work good just pull it tight.

Ebay = online garage sale, I will have to look on there, thanx for the suggestions Meke, and WNY for the specific name to look up, now that I have a starting point I can shop properly.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I can walk to the target yes but most of the time it is on some rough terrain, like over a small brooke and some fallen down trees, I shoot usually on my friends properties no where usually flat, but the string thing would work good just pull it tight.

Ebay = online garage sale, I will have to look on there, thanx for the suggestions Meke, and WNY for the specific name to look up, now that I have a starting point I can shop properly.
But you can tie down a string to the target or shooting position and walk back right? If you measure 100 yards and fold it in half then you get the 50yards mark. For each extra leg you need repeat as needed. Not sure what the complication is???

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But you can tie down a string to the target or shooting position and walk back right? If you measure 100 yards and fold it in half then you get the 50yards mark. For each extra leg you need repeat as needed. Not sure what the complication is???

1/4 in. x 100 ft. Diamond-Braid Poly Rope Yellow / Black-17984 at The Home Depot

Yea I could do that I had a brain fart moment when you first mentioned it and thought you meant to drape it on the ground forgot you can just pull it tight :p

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I recently did some research on budget rangefinders.

MakeModelMin RangeMax Range ReflectiveTreesDeerSlope compMagnificationInternal DisplayPrice
BushnellScout 100051000650325Y5Y$270
VortexRanger 1000111000?500Y6Y$380
LeupoldRX 1000i101000700600N6Y$350
LeupoldRX 1000i TBR101000700600Y6Y$400
Opti-Logic1000XT415001000?Y0N$260
Opti-LogicRecon4150010941000*Y6Y$325
* per manufacturer's reply, 1000 yards for deer sized and textured critters

Edit: My criteria were cheap, 1000 yard capability, internal display and have some magnification.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Yea I could do that I had a brain fart moment when you first mentioned it and thought you meant to drape it on the ground forgot you can just pull it tight :p
Just measure the cord before you go out normally might be a little longer so you can put a nut at the different marks. if you have a long measuring tape is even faster... put two stacks at 25yards in the yard and go around with the cord 2 times (full turns). 25x4 = 100. If you buy a mason roll you can go to 200, 300 etc.. then with a permanent marker lets say black mark in the stack every 25 yards and every 100 mark it with a red marker.
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051
Then you can use this in the future for other projects like measuring a landscape job or a property.

Regarding the range finders this is as good as it gets when you have the funds...
Reviews for Leica CRF Rangemaster 1200 Rangefinder 7x Scan Mode, VERSIONS Leica CRF Rangemaster 1200 Rangefinder, Meter-Version - View or add your review!

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have the bushnell 1000 arc. its a little out of you price range but it has great features like pre set ballistic tables for popular calibers and bullet wieghts. if you bow hunt it also has the arc feature that judges angles for correct yardage from a tree stand. the farthest ive ranged it is 800yrds and that is plenty far for what i do with it.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are probably right I shouldn't go for a cheapo range finder, maybe once I get some extra money I'll post in the wanted section and see if NYF can help me out.

Thanx for all the advice guys, I may bring my measuring tape next time I go to my friends and measure out where we normally shoot, then I can sight them in at a proper range.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
How about pooling your loot with one or two freinds and share? Or how about a local range with pre-set ranges. just a thought.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's a $100 range finder:
I went real cheap and got mine from Harbor Freight for around $10. They have small and big wheel versions, I got the big wheel version on sale. But reasonable terrain is needed for accurate measurement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts