New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The United States District Court District of Columbia has issued their opinion in Palmer v. DC. This looks like a big win for DC.

http://alangura.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/DCT_OPINION.pdf

From the opinion:
"In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny. Therefore, the Court finds that the District of Columbia's complete ban on the carrying of handguns in public is unconstitutional. Accordingly, the Court grants Plaintiffs' motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.4 Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District."

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps I missed something, but it looks to me that until DC creates a new law it is legal in DC to buy and carry a handgun without any license.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Perhaps I missed something, but it looks to me that until DC creates a new law it is legal in DC to buy and carry a handgun without any license.
It sounds like unrestricted carry due to their ****ing around getting a permit system in place. You can carry a pistol and not be charged, up until they get their act together. But I'm not very familiar with this one.

I wish Al Norris was around.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think this the ONE. The case SCOTUS will revisit the issue. It is "nice and clean" and federal. Then they will use McDonald to apply it to the states

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
According to the opinion , this will make all permits country wide as long as the states are made to follow this ruling . If SCOTUS rules on this ( favorably and I don't see why they wouldn't ) say good bye to Sullivan as it just kicked the **** out it !

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
The complete hubristic arrogance of the political vomitus that "rules" DC should assure they appeal to SCOTUS. Then we'll see if SCOTUS has any cojones, or needs to be renamed SCROTUM.
Actually, for a variety of reasons I hope SCOTUS declines to hear it and the decision stands. That would be all the cojones they'd need!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
But then the decision would only affect DC.
Only until an otherwise legal NYS permit holder is charged for carrying in any of the 5 boroughs...

Then we'll see what's what

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I didnt read it like this. And while the permitting scheme is a huge infringement and id rather see it destroyed, id take a federal standard with national reciprocity over this current bs system.

According to the opinion , this will make all permits country wide as long as the states are made to follow this ruling . If SCOTUS rules on this ( favorably and I don't see why they wouldn't ) say good bye to Sullivan as it just kicked the **** out it !

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
This is what I'm wondering too. Can DC residents carry their handguns NOW like in VT or AZ without any papers?
Also this a DC court ruling, appeal goes to DC Court of Appeals and then to SC if needed.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Only until an otherwise legal NYS permit holder is charged for carrying in any of the 5 boroughs...

Then we'll see what's what
No, this ruling does not affect NYC at all. The district courts only issue rulings for their respective districts. In this case, that means DC only.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
OK, if this gets scheduled to hear by SCOTUS, I'll go do Ruth Bader Ginsburg to get her on our side. Who'll give me $20 to do her??

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Why is it that recently there is nothing but great news for 2A advocates in "non-free" states except the ****HOLE that is NY? Even CA and HI became somewhat less restrictive than NY. Congrats to DC residents.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Why is it that recently there is nothing but great news for 2A advocates in "non-free" states except the ****HOLE that is NY? Even CA and HI became somewhat less restrictive than NY. Congrats to DC residents.
Because NYC!!

Patience. Hopefully. This might eventually apply to us. Some of the dominoes have already fallen in CA and IL. Question is - are our dominoes in line with theirs?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts