New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is officially here! Local streams are being stocked with trout. Any one
going to venture out and try their luck? Best day ever for me was several years ago at Oatka Creek. I happened to arrive mid-morning and the DEC was stocking the stream that day. When the truck arrived we were given 5 gallon pails full of trout to fill the creek Not bad! Dump them upstream and catch them downstream. Great day of fishing.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Not me. I wait for the crowds to die and the weather (and water) to warm up a little. My waders won't be in for another week or two anyway. I'll be at Oatka creek as usual and want to try Irondequoit creek this year.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never been out on opening day....I usually have to work. But, someday I'd like to go on opening day to see the madness. But, since you can legally fish for trout all year round if you know where to go, there's no real reason to fight crowds on April 1st.

Good luck to everyone who goes out today!!!

G

·
Not to bring down a good thread, but did you see that fishing license fee is going up to $29.00?
Man that is expensive for a fishing license.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Otter said:
Not to bring down a good thread, but did you see that fishing license fee is going up to $29.00?
Man that is expensive for a fishing license.
I never like to pay more for something I use to get for less. The part that gets me is that a day license is going from $15 to $5 (if i remember correctly). I would bet most day licenses are purchased by out of state people. Why does their fee go down, but ours goes up? Either way, i guess with a $19 license we pay about $1.58 per month to fish, and with a $29 license we pay about $2.41 per month. The key is to get out frequently and then you're not paying $29 for only 1 trip per year. I try to get out often....and it works sometimes.

I caught 2 bluegill last week!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
plus all of the money stays with conservation efforts like stocking fish and animal management.

G

·
oatka said:
I never like to pay more for something I use to get for less. The part that gets me is that a day license is going from $15 to $5 (if i remember correctly). I would bet most day licenses are purchased by out of state people. Why does their fee go down, but ours goes up? Either way, i guess with a $19 license we pay about $1.58 per month to fish, and with a $29 license we pay about $2.41 per month. The key is to get out frequently and then you're not paying $29 for only 1 trip per year. I try to get out often....and it works sometimes.

I caught 2 bluegill last week!
But when you only fish May through October it really rubs me raw.
I know what the fee is intended for, but I bet there is other shenanigans raising the price.
It is just strange that a person has to pay to drop a worm in a lake and pull out a fish.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Otter said:
I know what the fee is intended for, but I bet there is other shenanigans raising the price.
Take that back! There are no shenanigans going on in the state of New York! how dare you imply that!!! ;D :D ;)

Don't drop worms, fly flies!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts