New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Yea man..... I am beyond stoked. Got my gear hanging outside for days getting aired out, been practicing multiple times a day from sitting, standing, prone, behind cover, etc (I'm a ground hunter for my own reasons).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yea man..... I am beyond stoked. Got my gear hanging outside for days getting aired out, been practicing multiple times a day from sitting, standing, prone, behind cover, etc (I'm a ground hunter for my own reasons).
You shoot your bow from a prone position?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be going out with my 9 year old son, hopefully I can get something when he's in the stand with me. Last time he saw me shoot a deer was 2012 bow opener

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I'll be out but it wont be for deer. It's also the Pheasant opener up north so I will be out with the Lab chasing birds.;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Grouse man Grouse opens, the woodcock will be popping in the poplar. The best time of the year! Grouse, woodcock and dogs.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have to work! Hopefully I'll be out there soon.

Be be safe and take pictures.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
You shoot your bow from a prone position?
As in going from prone to kneeling or prone to standing, slow and steady?

Out now. Will post up some pics shortly. Saw 2 groups. First group was a doe and 2 fawn and second set was two does and two fawns. Second set had a potential shooter but gave her a pass too.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
First set.... Two chicken nuggets and one chicken tender... All obvi get the pass

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Phone not cooperating in rotating the pic but here is second set.... Nothing worth shooting yet but lots of activity.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I remember my days of leaving stuff outside and all the other scent tricks but I realized after about 10 years that it was easier to hunt with my nose into the wind. Oh and never waste time looking behind you if the wind is in your face.
Jim

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
100% agree. I'm on the ground 100% of the time so it all comes down to wind for me. Small bottle of powder is as necessary as the bow itself. I belly crawl and stay in PRONE at ridges as I creep to cover and sit always watching my wind. So yea, PRONE ground hunting is as important of a position as any other my friends.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had 3 bucks hang out for about an hour. They started at 100 yards but only got as close as 60. Too far for me to take a shot. Kicked up about 10 does on my way to the stand. Guess I got to get out there earlier.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts