New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the day I have looked forward to for so many years finally arrived this year. My son joined us for his first deer hunt ever. 14 years old, he's been watching me pack up and head out every weekend and now it's his turn to join the fun. I dont know who was more excited, him or me. Both of us had a hard time falling asleep Friday night, and when the alarm went off at 5:05am he was up and dressed before I had a chance to hit the snooze button! We were in our spots well before daylight, and he was practically twitching as he set up his seat and organized his gear in the dark. We hunted from dawn till dusk, a couple of different spots, and we didnt catch even the sight of a deer. But guys and girls, that didnt matter. We had a great time and we're looking forward to the rest of the season. This weekend, we're hunting all day again, and we're going to try our luck with the walleyes from shore after dark. Who could ask for better?

He did a super job, handled his shotgun safely and not once did I have to correct him in safe handling. It is a lot to learn, how to handle the gun while walking, while with other hunters, in a tree stand, etc., and he was great. Range time and woods time are different applications of the same essential rules of handling. Woodsmanship will come, as we work through the season, but firearm safety has been our focus for so long that it is second nature for the guy at this point. Which is everything I can ask for, really.

I'm so proud of my son. It gives me such pleasure to type this post, to tell all of you about his great day. Saturday was one of the milestones of my lifetime that I will always remember.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I can still remember my first day with my dad, your son seems to have been feeling the same way i was. I did not get a deer for two years but deer camp was what it's all about.
Good luck this weekend !

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tagged one

So last weekend (Black Ops just hit the stores) my son stayed home. He may have regretted the decision to play his video game over going hunting. Saturday morning at 9:30am, a beauty of a buck walked by me in the woods. An 11 pointer!!

So my tag is full, and the rest of the year I am just a guide for my son. I've never been happier to be in the woods without my gun, to tell you the truth. He's excited to get out there, after seeing what I brought home from the north country. We're going out this weekend for the opening day in the southern tier, and both of us are ready - Saturday cannot come early enough, these next weekends are going to be some of the best times to be in the woods, and triple that for being there with my boy. This is going to be great!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Congrats! Sucks for your son! Hopefully he learned a good lesson... A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!? wait... LOL

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

And that's a NICE fish! Usually check in at lunch from work and cant see the pics on here. Nice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts