New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I submitted everything including fingerprints photo two weeks ago. My references got the form in mail couple of days later. That's much quicker than I hoped for...Can anyone recently got the permit share their timeline? How long is the wait after the office receives the reference forms? waiting is such a torture...

·
Registered
854 Posts
It took 9 months of waiting for my appointment to submit my application and then 5 more months after that to recieve a sportsman permit. One year after getting my sportman permit I applied for a carry permit and that took another 4 months before being approved. I have heard that OnOn has shortened the over all time it takes. Good Luck!

·
Registered
498 Posts
As far as I know, it should take around 3 months on Onondaga County. My wife applied in Jan. and was approved in 3 months, I have some other friends that applied last month and are still waiting. I applied to have my restrictions removed in Jan. and it took 8 weeks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work on university campus, and not a security officer. Should I just stop dreaming about non-restriction permit? feeling depressed asking such a question...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Onondaga County is issuing more and more unrestricted permits every month. My advice to you would be, take some training classes after you get your permit, wait until you have had your permit for about a year and write a nice letter to your Judge explaining why you need an unrestricted permit. What do you have to lose at that point, if you have a sportsman, all they can say is no.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the advice, Goosegun.

Onondaga County is issuing more and more unrestricted permits every month. My advise to you would be, take some training classes after you get your permit, wait until you have had your permit for about a year and write a nice letter to your Judge explaining why you need an unrestricted permit. What do you have to lose at that point, if you have a sportsman, all they can say is no.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not turning in the application, it's making sure your references return the forms quickly. Until all four letters are returned, nothing happens, so don't be shy following up to ensure they fill out the form. My fourth reference letter was submitted on 8/1/14 and I received my permit today, 9/17/14.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not turning in the application, it's making sure your references return the forms quickly. Until all four letters are returned, nothing happens, so don't be shy following up to ensure they fill out the form. My fourth reference letter was submitted on 8/1/14 and I received my permit today, 9/17/14.
WOW that's really encouraging!! I will ask them again...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Agreed, stay on your references, they should have had them back in the mail the day after they got them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed, stay on your references, they should have had them back in the mail the day after they got them.
Called permit office. The lady was very nice. Told me all forms are in and the case is moving forward, but will have to wait for at least a month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts