New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info on the candidates for Onondaga County Sheriff and their positions on the SAFE Act?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Democrat Toby Shelly: Issues |

Republican Gene Conway hasn't said anything on his page, but someone on the ar-15 forum got a reply back:
Onondaga Co. Sheriff candidates - Page 1 - AR15.COM

" my stance on the safe act is that I was against it when it was being drafted and I remain opposed to it now. If elected Sheriff I would join with the Sheriffs Association in their opposition to it. As to enforcement as you may know some of the provisions are being challenged already in the courts. As leaders of law enforcement we have many more serious issues with crime and challenges in keeping our communities safe. I will be placing my priorities and resources there."

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
At work the other night, I heard 2 ex Onondaga Sheriff Officers talking about this very subject. I'm just hoping it's not Shelly.
"As a 29-year military veteran and retired police officer, I am thoroughly trained in the proper use of firearms. I do not agree with the SAFE ACT in its entirety, although some aspects have merit. While we shouldn't make criminals out of honest citizens, we should try to keep guns out of the wrong hands. Finding the correct balance is an issue for legislators; a Sheriff must ensure that laws are enforced fairly and with discretion."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like neither Conway nor Shelly are prepared to come out and state they will not enforce the SAFE Act like other NY Sheriffs have done. Neither candidate will get my vote. This will be the first time i have never casted a vote for Sheriff.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Anyone have any info on the candidates for Onondaga County Sheriff and their positions on the SAFE Act?
Good question! If any new info please share. I live in ONON also.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
It seems that Conway has stated that he stands with the sheriffs association on their stance . I would take a chance on Conway better than the other one . that's my Humble opinion ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts