New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forums. Just wanted to talk about my recent experience applying for the Onondaga County sportsman's permit for anyone else looking to go through the process. After shooting a few pistols for the first time and getting hooked, I decided to try to apply for a pistol permit in Onondaga County. Called the pistol license unit in early June and had an original appointment date set for September. I called the lady at the license unit again a few days later and my appointment got bumped up to June 24th. In the meantime I took the handgun safety course at OCC and had my fingerprints processed. Reference letters went out the day after my appointment and I received my postcard in the mail July 23rd. Picked up my actual license the day after. 1 month to the day. The process was much quicker and easier than I expected for NYS! While I am familiar with long guns, this is going to be my first pistol. Now I just have to decide between the Glock 19 and M&P9 (and possibly the new VP9). Cheers. :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Congratulations!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You are in the same position I was last year. I ultimately went with the glock 19. One thing to consider is ease of maintenance. Glocks are simple to take apart, clean and re-assemble. I have a colt .45 as well. I love that gun, but it is more of a PIA to take apart and more importantly put together. Just my 2 cents.

Congratulations and good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Excellent! I would go with the Glock 19 for the first pistol. It is a staple. It would have been my first pistol if i had had 600 bucks at the time, instead i went with a Taurus 24/7 Pro in 9mm because it was $350. Its a good gun as well but heavy, i now have two Glock 19's and they are imo the ideal pistol.

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's sooooo much better than it has been! Congratulations and thank you for the information!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! Just went out today to get my first pistol - decided on the Gen 4 Glock 19. I held the M&P and loved the ergonomics but the trigger was no where near the Glock's and the price on it wasn't too great. I think I made a good choice - excited to pick it up tomorrow!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks everyone! Just went out today to get my first pistol - decided on the Gen 4 Glock 19. I held the M&P and loved the ergonomics but the trigger was no where near the Glock's and the price on it wasn't too great. I think I made a good choice - excited to pick it up tomorrow!
It really is a great gun, alot of people say alot of crap about Gen4's.....i have 2 and thousands of rounds with no problems. I pull the trigger and they go bang, simple as that. I personally love the Gen4 grip texture, (although i may eventually 'money permitting' have it stippled) mag release, recoil, backstraps....etc. They are all overall improvements to me. ENJOY!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts