New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ONLY 49 STATES TO GO: Hooray for Florida!,,,I-95 and I-75 will be jammed for the next month or so with the drug users and deadbeats heading North out of Florida, because this is the first state in the union to require drug testing to receive welfare!,,,Hooray for Florida!,,,In signing the new law, Republican Gov. Rick Scott said, "If Floridians want welfare, they better make sure they are drug-free". Applicants must pay for the drug test, but are reimbursed if they test drug- free. Applicants who test positive for illicit substances won't be eligible for the funds for a year, or until they undergo treatment. Those who fail a second time will be banned from receiving funds for three years!,,, Naturally, a few people are crying this is unconstitutional. How is this unconstitutional? It's a legal requirement that every person applying for a JOB has to pass drug tests in order to get the JOB, why not those who receive welfare?,,,Forward this if you agree!,,,Let's get welfare back to the ones who NEED it, not to those who WON'T get a JOB,,, :mad:

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Georgia just signed drug testing into law.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Great news for Florida and Georgia ! About time this happened somewhere in the U.S. The only thing that bothers me is that as they migrate north, they settle here in NY. If only NY had the guts to do this.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Is the drug test just for the applicant or for everyone listed on it? Cause you may have clean parents with some using kids.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Is the drug test just for the applicant or for everyone listed on it? Cause you may have clean parents with some using kids.
OH I am loving where thi sis going. It should be for the whole bunch.

·
Banned
478 Posts
It's a legal requirement that every person applying for a JOB has to pass drug tests in order to get the JOB
This is incorrect, it is a policy set by each company separately. I've had 4 jobs that didn't require me to take a drug test.

Beyond that, hell yeah FL!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What bug's me the most about the welfare system is why not put them to work? There are so many state and local high paid jobs that can be cut out and the welfare recipients could do them mandated in order to receive the benefit's. Also housing should be set forth as well. And food could be set up in like a court yard type setting where it would be like a buffet or cafeteria. And of course all maintenance, child care, food prep inc would be all the recipient's job's. It would get expensive at first but before long it would be cheaper I am sure. The worst are the one's that continue for many yr's collecting benefit's and don't even try to get a job or better themselves. And all the while continue to pop kid's out like Pez dispenser's

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Actually, the critics are correct, this is unconstitutional. There is no provision in the Constitution anywhere which allows the government to redistribute wealth to those who won't obtain it themselves.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It is unfortunate for those that may need temporary help and are denied because the welfare rolls are so crowed by some that have followed family tradition and are sucking the system dry. It's time NY grows some balls and start kicking the freeloaders out the door..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't bring out the tar and feathers just yet.

The Florida law was passed last July. The ACLU sued in September.

In October the US District Court for Florida ruled that the "suspicionless" requirement was an unconstitutional search under the Fourth Amendment.

http://www.aclufl.org/pdfs/2011-10-24-ACLUTanfOrder.pdf

So Florida is not drug testing every welfare applicant after all.

I haven't found any follow up litigation in Florida so the state might not have appealed the ruling. Such an appeal would likely be a waste of the taxpayers money considering that Michigan passed a similar law in 1999, a judge halted the practice 5 weeks later, and after a 4 year court battle, the Michigan Court of Appeals also ruled it unconstitutional.

Whether you like these laws or not, the reality is that they are politically "feel good" laws that amount to shooting blanks in the war on drugs.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Whether you like these laws or not, the reality is that they are politically "feel good" laws that amount to shooting blanks in the war on drugs.
I don't care about the war on drugs. I care about people with enough money to buy drugs buying drugs and taking OUR money to feed their fat asses.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
They had a funny bit about this on the Daily Show. During the interview, the governor (I think) said that anyone receiving money from the state should be subjected to a drug test. Later on at a press conference, they asked him if he would be taking a drug test and releasing the results - the look on his face made me think he might have pooped himself.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
It's a great idea, but it would cost us MORE. The govt can't do anything cheaply, and this makes more levels of bureaucracy and inefficiency and waste.
"...Aggregate cost estimates of proposed welfare drug testing legislation were identified for twelve States (see Appendix C for details). The estimated costs in these States ranged from $92,487, for drug testing 20% of recipients and treating 2% of those tested in Louisiana, to $20 million, for just the testing of all public assistance applicants and recipients in New York...."

Political Animal - Drug-Testing Welfare Recipients: Expensive and Pointless, But Otherwise A Great Idea

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
It's a great idea, but it would cost us MORE. The govt can't do anything cheaply, and this makes more levels of bureaucracy and inefficiency and waste.
"...Aggregate cost estimates of proposed welfare drug testing legislation were identified for twelve States (see Appendix C for details). The estimated costs in these States ranged from $92,487, for drug testing 20% of recipients and treating 2% of those tested in Louisiana, to $20 million, for just the testing of all public assistance applicants and recipients in New York...."

Political Animal - Drug-Testing Welfare Recipients: Expensive and Pointless, But Otherwise A Great Idea
I would be really curious to see their detailed back up numbers. Oral drug test kits are cheap and while not as sensative as urine or hair testing we do hit quite a few on pre employment with this method. I don[t understand some of their costs either. rehab?- To hell with that. The entire thing should be contracted and competively bid out. (much like th emajority of our state and federally provided services.)

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Actually, the critics are correct, this is unconstitutional. There is no provision in the Constitution anywhere which allows the government to redistribute wealth to those who won't obtain it themselves.
I am going to have to disagree with you even though I want to agree with you.
As long as the Constitution doesn't say a state can't do something it can because this is what the 10th amendment says,

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts