New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New user here. I have a question about obtaining a pistol permit in Oneida County. I went to school and resided in NC for 5 years. I received my pistol permit and my carry concealed permit in Wake County of NC. I have my carry concealed permit with me and I am having the Sheriff's office mail my certificate to me. My question is this, is there a way i can bring these to a judge and have them transferred to a NY permit? The reason i ask is because i need the pistol permit for a job up here and i cant afford to wait 10-12 months to be approved when i am already approved in another state with less restrictions then here. BTW, i have a ny dl now and have been here for a year.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My question is this, is there a way i can bring these to a judge and have them transferred to a NY permit?
I'm going to say probably not. You will most likely have to start from scratch. The fact that you've had a CCW in another state might help you under the training/experience section of the application but I do not know of any way to 'transfer' an out of state permit. NY doesn't recognize any other states CCW, and you need a NY pistol permit to legally even touch a handgun in NY... and each handgun you have needs to be registered to your permit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. And if you've been here a year already, you would've had the permit by now.
I was told before i ever moved up here that i needed to be a resident for a year before i could apply for the permit.

I also sold my pistols because i was told that 99% of the time NYS would deny my request to transfer my handguns from NC to NY.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I also sold my pistols because i was told that 99% of the time NYS would deny my request to transfer my handguns from NC to NY.
Well that is totally untrue.

If you receive your permit here you can transfer pistols from wherever you want.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Give a call to the Oneida County pistol permit office 315-798-5821 they should be able to help with all your questions.Phone: (315) 798-5821
Phone: (315) 798-5821

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was told before i ever moved up here that i needed to be a resident for a year before i could apply for the permit.

Wow, yea... where did you get that information from? Sounds like a 'barracks lawyer' to me... You could have had someone that you really trust hold onto the handguns until you received your NY permit and then they could have shipped them to you via FFL. You would have had to leave/sell any magazines over 10 rounds though.

As far as being a resident for a year, that part is true. You need to be a resident of the county in which you're applying for the permit for a year.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Has to be a year for his county, so no he wouldn't have it already.
Also not always true. I moved up here (Oneida County) from PA and was told to submit a letter to Judge Dwyer asking for a waiver of the 1 year residency requirement. I had lived here less than 5 months. That waiver was approved and I submitted my application. I also submitted a letter requesting waiver of the references needing to be living in Oneida Co. because I knew no one here other than wife's family. That was also approved--all my references were from PA. Seems a well written and thought out letter to the Judge is the way to go, in this county anyway.

Reactions: wizrd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was told those things from sullivan when I called the permit office before I moved here. He specifically said NY state has to approve the transfer of my current handgun into NY and he said it happens very very slim. So I sold it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was told those things from sullivan when I called the permit office before I moved here. He specifically said NY state has to approve the transfer of my current handgun into NY and he said it happens very very slim. So I sold it.
Just curious, what type of handgun was it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just curious, what type of handgun was it?
Glock 22 with standard mag.

Does anyone know how long of a wait it is in Oswego County and would i be able to apply for one in Oswego if i reside at my fathers in oswego county? Note that my DL says my address is in Oneida County.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glock 22 with standard mag.

Does anyone know how long of a wait it is in Oswego County and would i be able to apply for one in Oswego if i reside at my fathers in oswego county? Note that my DL says my address is in Oneida County.
Did you not change your DL address or do you still have a place there? There's a good chance that they won't accept your application if you have an address in a different county, unless you have a very good reason (and I highly doubt that not getting around to change your address at the DMV is a good reason).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you not change your DL address or do you still have a place there? There's a good chance that they won't accept your application if you have an address in a different county, unless you have a very good reason (and I highly doubt that not getting around to change your address at the DMV is a good reason).
No I am originally from Oswego County. Moved out of state, got NC DL. Moved back to NY to Oneida County and my address on my NY DL is the address where i live now in Oneida County, but my dad still lives in Oswego County. If i switch my DL to Oswego County to apply would that work? I just cant wait a year for a pistol permit because the employer will be hiring in a few months and wont accept my NC Carry Concealed permit in order for me to apply.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
You should wither hire an attorney or write a letter to the judge explaining your circumstances and see if they can help you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should wither hire an attorney or write a letter to the judge explaining your circumstances and see if they can help you.
Which level judge in Oneida County should i be writing this letter to? I was told a judge could transfer my permit for me but I am not sure if thats true or not. I dont care about fees or how much it cost i just cant afford to wait a year and miss a huge job opportunity.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Which level judge in Oneida County should i be writing this letter to? I was told a judge could transfer my permit for me but I am not sure if thats true or not. I dont care about fees or how much it cost i just cant afford to wait a year and miss a huge job opportunity.
Judge Michael Dwyer handles all the pistol business in Oneida Co.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts