New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Im now 28 years old and have decided to go for my pistol permit. When I was 18 in 2002 I had gotten an Unlawful Possession of Marijuana ticket. I contacted the judges office and they instructed me to write a notarized letter requesting a certificate of disposition.

My question is, do you think this could get my permit denied? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I also got a trespassing ticket a few years ago in Altmar in a place where there were no signs for fishing for Salmon ( judge admitted about the signs but gave me the ticket anyway). Should I list this incident as well?

Thats all I can think of that would be on my record. Thanks in advance for the replies,

-Justin

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I guess it depends on your judge. List everything you know about up front and don't let the find anything. Good luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thats all I can think of that would be on my record. Thanks in advance for the replies,

-Justin
You better think hard. They ARE likely going to find out everything no matter how innocent the circumstance so if you tell them before they stumble upon it you should be fine, if you lie and don't tell them and they stumble upon it you will be denied on the spot for lying. So list every arrest. In my county you can actually visit the courthouse of the town you were arrested in and get a certificate of disposition which you will need for every arrest. Be prepared to pay between $5 and $20 for each as the fee changes from town to town. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello everyone.

Finished my 2 day NRA Pistol Safety course and the Oneida County permit officer came and talked with us. I asked him about my two violations and he did tell me to list them on the permit. He was a really wonderful guy. He explained that it is his JOB to get us permits, not to deny them. He said quote "if I don't get you permits I don't have a job". It was very re assuring as I was nervous but they really are here to help!

The two violations are Possession of Marijuana in 2002 and a Trespassing violation up at Salmon River in 2008 where I was supposedly trespassing. The judge even admitted that he went out and walked the property (fish hatchery) and he didn't really see any signs. There is a ATV trail that goes right by where we were. If I would have researched it a little more I suppose I could have gotten out of it. The trespassing laws that I found online are "willingly knowing" and still continuing to go onto the property. I explained to the DEC that I had no idea, I did not have any fish and was not fishing in illegal means. I could have been walking from the ATV trail and found that spot to fish. I usually don't let law enforcement push me around when I know i'm not doing anything wrong, and i'm certainly not afraid to stand up for myself, but the judge didn't seem to budge and I wasn't about to get a lawyer. I paid my $175 and that was it.

Anyhoo, I'm going to list them and just to be sure get a Certificate of Disposition from the judges respectively. I'm also going for full carry because of my place of business. My father and wife both work in the same doctors office (my father being the owner/primary doctor). We have had multiple threats on my family because of controlled substance issues where my father legally can't issue a prescription. People get VERY upset. One instance we filed a police report and the said person actually got his pistol permit revoked. I will also use my permit for target/competition/hunting etc but if my father can't get a full carry, it's useless to him as he will be using it only for personal protection at home, at work and any other activity where he feels he should have the firearm on him. And of course i'm going to get him into some target practice as well as taking some formal firearms/self defense training. I've rambled enough. I'll keep everyone posted as to our experience with the permit process As of right now the office said they are taking appointments to DROP OFF paperwork and fingerprints about 2-3 weeks out.

Take care.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I forgot to mention. He said it's a VERY good idea to attatch a letter to your paperwork explaining in detail the reason for the full carry if requesting it. So my advice would be if you want a full carry, ask. Do so in a way that represents exactly WHY you are requesting it and what steps you are going to take to make sure you do so in a lawful way.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have friends with possession records that were 10 to 20 yrs ago. They listed the charges and had no problem with receiving a permit. Just to note, there was no jail time involved.

·
Super Moderator
3,228 Posts
I have a friend who had a trespassing ticket for walking across a railroad track and he got his permit in Oneida Co. just over a year ago. He listed it on his app. but it turned out to be not an issue. If you think you are going to get unrestricted in Oneida Co., don't get your hopes up unless you have a VERY good reason for the judge to issue it. Judge Dwyer is pretty strict on unrestricted permits for new issues.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hello everyone,

Im now 28 years old and have decided to go for my pistol permit. When I was 18 in 2002 I had gotten an Unlawful Possession of Marijuana ticket. I contacted the judges office and they instructed me to write a notarized letter requesting a certificate of disposition.

My question is, do you think this could get my permit denied? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I also got a trespassing ticket a few years ago in Altmar in a place where there were no signs for fishing for Salmon ( judge admitted about the signs but gave me the ticket anyway). Should I list this incident as well?

-Justin
Fess up to everything, Don't try to hide a thing. You may need to be interviewed by the judge. If I were you, I would go to the office and talk with the men who work there. They will give you the best advice. Be polite.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious from the both who responded about possession and trespassing. Did those who applied go through the process to get a disposition from the judge to attach to their paperwork? Or just simply list it on the application? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,228 Posts
Just curious from the both who responded about possession and trespassing. Did those who applied go through the process to get a disposition from the judge to attach to their paperwork? Or just simply list it on the application? Thanks!
I believe my friend just listed it on his application with an explanation of what happened. He simply walked across a railroad track to get to the area he hunts behind his house and a sheriff happened to be sitting at a road crossing, saw him cross and wrote him up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to contact the courts to get the information to put on the permit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts