New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with some gun buddies and we got to the topic of handguns. He told me that you cant "buy in bulk" (not the same gun, just multiple different guns). I was unaware of this.

Is this true?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really 5 days? So instead of legally buying a few guns at a time, I would have to go downtown and deal with the traffic there just to add 1 handgun to my permit?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I can personally assure you this is not true.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically, I have a bundle of handguns to buy from budsgunshop. I was told it would flag the ATF as me being a "illegal trafficker"

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
It will not.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I know Cali has that "One gun a month" stuff, but I've personally bought 2 long guns one right after another, and I know a guy that has had multiple handguns transferred to him at once. (In this county) the judge just gives you 2 purchase coupons, you fill out 2 4473s and you MAY have to do one extra federal "Bought more than 1 gun in a day" form, but that's it.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I've never even bought 2 long guns at the same time. So, this is all new to me on how it works. I have heard about the 1 gun per day, sucks because they still have the waiting periods. 10 days for handguns, I think. Boo to THAT!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
A friend bought two handguns together a few weeks ago, no problem. But I think he got flagged on another pistol about a week later. Had to wait 3 days to clear.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've purchased two pistols online the same day before; I had to pay an extra fee at the FFL (think it was $10 more, can't remember).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Thanks. I've never even bought 2 long guns at the same time. So, this is all new to me on how it works. I have heard about the 1 gun per day, sucks because they still have the waiting periods. 10 days for handguns, I think. Boo to THAT!
I'm confused.....what "waiting periods"? I've never had to wait when purchasing any firearm, regardless if it is a long gun or pistol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I purchased two handguns at once on one 4473 form, and had them both added to my license at the same time. I purchased a rifle two weeks before as well. No issues...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Multiple purchases are legal and should not be a problem. Form 4473 allows for five firearms. Multiple purchases do not require 4473's to be filled out for each individual firearm. If a non licensee aquires two or more handguns at one time or within five consecutive business days the FFL is required to file a report of multiple sales, of which a copy is sent to the ATF.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm confused.....what "waiting periods"? I've never had to wait when purchasing any firearm, regardless if it is a long gun or pistol.
Sorry, we were talking about California.

Multiple purchases are legal and should not be a problem. Form 4473 allows for five firearms. Multiple purchases do not require 4473's to be filled out for each individual firearm. If a non licensee aquires two or more handguns at one time or within five consecutive business days the FFL is required to file a report of multiple sales, of which a copy is sent to the ATF.
Oh if a non licensee. That makes sense. I feel much better now. Thanks for your help.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I had to fill out more than 1 4473. Could have been an FFL specific thing though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts