New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the other closed - this can continue civilly

Post all timelines & feedback that you're getting from your Erie County Pistol Permit application submissions.

For Context - all in-person transactions are closed due to corvids and all submissions are via snail mail.

Current Avg. Timeline is ~4mo total.

For those that are new or don't know, the process looks like and the key timeline actions are the following:

Mail in Application -> notice your check being cashed -> references called -> interview with sheriff -> receive letter in the mail.

Game on boyos

·
Registered
564 Posts
Here to help if anyone needs me. Feel free to PM specific questions for me to look into for you. Always happy to help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here to help if anyone needs me. Feel free to PM specific questions for me to look into for you. Always happy to help.
Roger that - it has been over 10 weeks since my interview...I have 4 pistols waiting at FFL to pick up that I can't until I get this letter..

I recently purchased another rifle that I didn't pick up yet ...if I go grab that and get the background check, is there a 30 day waiting period until you get another background check? I don't want to delay the pistols anymore incase that letter comes in soon.

I thought that I've heard of this waiting 30days stuff before

·
Registered
564 Posts
Roger that - it has been over 10 weeks since my interview...I have 4 pistols waiting at FFL to pick up that I can't until I get this letter..

I recently purchased another rifle that I didn't pick up yet ...if I go grab that and get the background check, is there a 30 day waiting period until you get another background check? I don't want to delay the pistols anymore incase that letter comes in soon.

I thought that I've heard of this waiting 30days stuff before
There is only a waiting period if you are delayed and that only has to do with that particular sale. You are fine to go buy a rifle every day if you choose to. It won't hurt you at all with getting your pistols. You won't be delayed anyway unless a serial killer has the same name as you lol!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wife submitted application July 2nd references and interview on August 12th. Just received her Unrestricted permit today. Amherst

·
Registered
72 Posts
My wife must of been in same group. Submitted July 5th, and received permit today. Congrats to your wife!

Kudos to Mickey Kearns and the whole Erie County pistol permit office!

Wife submitted application July 2nd references and interview on August 12th. Just received her Unrestricted permit today. Amherst

·
Registered
3 Posts
I added and removed a pistol recently. Im pissed they are not open for in person business. The other offices of clerks office are open . The DMV for example is open. the need to get a drivers license is more important than pistol license. One of them is not a protection in constitution. But anyway. They want to hinder gun ownership as much as possible in NYS. They will make it difficult and by doing mail in changes they can enforce a waiting period for everyone thats not actually a law in NY. This how they undermine the rights. Through Bureaucratic Bullsh*t

·
Registered
12 Posts
I added and removed a pistol recently. Im pissed they are not open for in person business. The other offices of clerks office are open . The DMV for example is open. the need to get a drivers license is more important than pistol license. One of them is not a protection in constitution. But anyway. They want to hinder gun ownership as much as possible in NYS. They will make it difficult and by doing mail in changes they can enforce a waiting period for everyone thats not actually a law in NY. This how they undermine the rights. Through Bureaucratic Bullsh*t
How long have you been waiting?

·
Registered
30 Posts
As I said previously, sent in application July 20, got the letter 10/22 ish, Unrestricted in Clarence. Now in the process of getting my guns back from the FFL. Will send in the paperwork today. FTWNY quite helpful. Wolcotts quite helpful in the transfers.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Troubling indeed. They are dialing things back, instead of going the other way. They have recently reduced the number of staff that are allowed in the building. It looks like round 2 is starting soon so don't wait on anything. Germany just closed down for 4 weeks again. I suspect Cuomo will follow suit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad I found this forum...

Moved here from AK a little bit ago and man, what a different process this is to get a firearm haha

Looks like the average wait time is around 10ish weeks after interview??

I'm on week 6 (interview was Sep 21) as was starting to get a little impatient, so I'll mentally prepare for a few more weeks. Didn't really know what to expect since I'm obviously going at this for the first time here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad I found this forum...

Moved here from AK a little bit ago and man, what a different process this is to get a firearm haha

Looks like the average wait time is around 10ish weeks after interview??

I'm on week 6 (interview was Sep 21) as was starting to get a little impatient, so I'll mentally prepare for a few more weeks. Didn't really know what to expect since I'm obviously going at this for the first time here.
Ya you're going to find a lot of things different here in lefty land under Cuomo's dictatorship than where you moved from. I'm at the end of week 14 since submitting and also had my interview on 9/21. Should be interesting to see how close we receive them. Best of luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so bitter sweet reading this - great to see people are getting quick turnaround - not happy that mine was submitted in June and still no word.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
so bitter sweet reading this - great to see people are getting quick turnaround - not happy that mine was submitted in June and still no word.
I would reach out that seems odd you've heard nothing. You can send them an email and they have pretty quick turnaround. What city are you in? Are you in one that the sheriffs are handling the background check? If not that might be the delay.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I added and removed a pistol recently. Im pissed they are not open for in person business. The other offices of clerks office are open . The DMV for example is open. the need to get a drivers license is more important than pistol license. One of them is not a protection in constitution. But anyway. They want to hinder gun ownership as much as possible in NYS. They will make it difficult and by
doing mail in changes they can enforce a waiting period for everyone thats not actually a

law in NY. This how they undermine the rights. Through Bureaucratic Bullsh*t
Troubling indeed. They are dialing things back, instead of going the other way. They have recently reduced the number of staff that are allowed in the building. It looks like round 2 is starting soon so don't wait on anything. Germany just closed down for 4 weeks again. I suspect Cuomo will follow suit.
This is what Democrat run government, state
and local, loves to do. They are drunk on power! We can go to restaurants, grocery stores and work, but when when it comes to accommodating people's 2nd Ammendment rights, they suppress law abiding citizens? NO LEGITIMATE REASON FOR IT. This should not be tolerated!!! Vote every Democrat out of office! Sorry for getting political, but its the truth and a fact.

·
Registered
564 Posts
This is what Democrat run government, state
and local, loves to do. They are drunk on power! We can go to restaurants, grocery stores and work, but when when it comes to accommodating people's 2nd Ammendment rights, they suppress law abiding citizens? NO LEGITIMATE REASON FOR IT. This should not be tolerated!!! Vote every Democrat out of office! Sorry for getting political, but its the truth and a fact.
Agree. I will be voting straight Republican tomorrow. Don't even care who the people are. Democrats are evil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
another day, checking informed delivery, with no response.

Going on 3months since sheriff interview

1 - 20 of 131 Posts