New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Wood Tree Twig Trunk

pic taken morning after... crossbow with 150 grain broadhead (no name brand)
425 grain total arrow weight, 24 inch weight forward carbon bolt
not the cleanest, fastest kill or best buck, but for me worthy of posting. probably best ill see this year
45 yrds

75 pounds meat total plus 20 some odd pounds of ribs and neck bones for stews

· Registered
5,312 Posts
Crossbow or compound?

· Registered
1,758 Posts
So long as you weren't out in the archery season southern zone ....
It makes little sense to me that crossbows aren't considered archery tackle.....

· Registered
5,312 Posts
So long as you weren't out in the archery season southern zone ....
It makes little sense to me that crossbows aren't considered archery tackle.....
Which is what I was trying to discretely ask.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Hunting deer with a Crossbow pretty much takes the "Bow" out of bow hunting........Just sayin'.......

· Registered
839 Posts
Hunting deer with a Crossbow pretty much takes the "Bow" out of bow hunting........Just sayin'.......
How other then a trigger but it is not like it shoots any further and prevents smaller younger people from getting out who are unable to pull back a bow. If anything it would get more people in to the sport and if you rather use your compound still there is nothing saying you cant. It would be just as equal.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
How long can you hold a cross bow at full draw vs a compound bow? How many guys do you know with scopes on a compound bow?

Personally just my opinion but I feel they should be fine during gun seasons/ muzzle loader, not regular archery. Just my opinion on it though.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
How long can you hold a cross bow at full draw vs a compound bow? How many guys do you know with scopes on a compound bow?

Personally just my opinion but I feel they should be fine during gun seasons/ muzzle loader, not regular archery. Just my opinion on it though.
Just admit its all about greed,those against it are afraid they are going to shoot there deer!There is no denying it no matter how you look at it.....

· Registered
1,776 Posts
Look if you like using a compound bow use it, if you want to use a crossbow use it. We are all hunters and arguing about weapons just gives the ANTI's more fuel to use against us. As long as we are safe ethical and uphold ALL rules we need to stick together and not worry what weapon the other guy is using! We need to increase the numbers of hunters in this state if crossbows will help that I'm all for it!!!

BTW there are some people that can't pull a compound or recurve so if this allows someone who enjoys hunting another opprotunity to hunt GREAT!!!

· Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm not afraid someone is going to get my deer. There are reasons there are seasons for different weapons. With that mentality you should get rid of all seasons and just have 1 hunting season.

I'f someone is disabled that is a different scenario, they also have different regulations in place for handicapped....Plus if you can't draw a bow I would guess you wouldn't be able to cock a cross bow as they are usually a heavier draw weight. (i've never shot one so i'm not positive on that)

· Registered
1,776 Posts
I'f someone is disabled that is a different scenario, they also have different regulations in place for handicapped....Plus if you can't draw a bow I would guess you wouldn't be able to cock a cross bow as they are usually a heavier draw weight. (i've never shot one so i'm not positive on that)
I had a friend that tried to get a handicap crossbow provision because he hurt his shoulder, like everything else in this state he had to jump through hoops and then was denied. As far as cocking the bow you can have someone cock it for you unlike a bow.

· Registered
839 Posts
There is no real advantage though is all im saying and if allowed during the regular archery season there is a good chance it would get more people into the sport who otherwise wouldn't (kids elderly women or even smaller guys who might not be able to pull and hold a compound for what ever reason). Not only can crossbows be used to get more people involved but would lead to more revenue from increase in license sales. As far as a scope goes yes majority of crossbows have them but how does that help anyone? Its like a shotgun it has no affect on how you shot or distance you can shoot, it still comes down to you being able to hit a target and knowing your abilities. How can you say ok you can use them during gun season but not archery when they both shoot around 50 yards tops both shoot an arrow. Yes you pull a trigger and not a sting but there pretty much the same thing. Although i to don't think there well ever be a special season for crossbow or even have them as a legal option during archery because of 2 many of these archery groups who are against it for there own greedy reasons.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Like I said earlier just my opinion. There is no greed from fear a hunter with a cross bow will "take" my deer or anything like that with me. I'm all for getting people into the sport and I think it should be easier to get a permit if injured or an elder, however I still feel the difference of having to draw a bow and hold for a shot vs. already cocked is a huge advantage. There are plenty of areas in lower NY where rifle/ shotgun is prohibited, and the crossbow does wonders there. I'm sure there are plenty of nooks and crannies where a gun is not a safe hunting option but a crossbow would work. Personally I think it fits well in muzzle loader season. Just my thoughts on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.