New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone besides me use there Off hand as you practice?

I mean simple things like, washing the dishes with your opposite hand? Try wiping your butt with your opposite hand (ya, I know your laughing while sitting there behind your computer, butt you should try it)

If you don't do it often, it feels very weird. Next time you want to use a screw driver, use your off hand. It can get real interesting if you don't practice.

Same thing will happen with your hand gun. it will feel weird and target acquisition maybe a challenge if you don't practice with your off hand.

Good luck, Practice often, Have fun.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i might try shooting "off hand" but fear "wiping" is far to dangerous for me. i can mangle stuff bad enough with a screw driver with the correct hand i don't think i'll go there. i tried that other "off hand" thing years ago, kinda like kissing your sister.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i might try shooting "off hand" but fear "wiping" is far to dangerous for me. i can mangle stuff bad enough with a screw driver with the correct hand i don't think i'll go there. i tried that other "off hand" thing years ago, kinda like kissing your sister.

good analogy LOL

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I found that by breaking my right arm it helped me get used to my left.:D

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found that by breaking my right arm it helped me get used to my left.:D
ok, thats a pretty sucky way to try out your off hand:cheers:

·
Registered
202 Posts
After breaking my right wrist while mt biking, I had to switch to using a mouse at work with my left hand. That was a year and a half ago and I haven't switched back. My writing actually became somewhat legible (but not great) after time as well.

As far as shooting and target acquisition goes, being a new handgun shooter, I'm a bad enough shot with my dominate hand so I won't be trying anything new for the time being :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have two left handed friends that taught themselves to write with their right hand because it doesn't mess up the ink.

I tried learning to use my left when I broke my right wrist and never managed.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After breaking my right wrist while mt biking, I had to switch to using a mouse at work with my left hand. That was a year and a half ago and I haven't switched back. My writing actually became somewhat legible (but not great) after time as well.

As far as shooting and target acquisition goes, being a new handgun shooter, I'm a bad enough shot with my dominate hand so I won't be trying anything new for the time being :D
actually being new, this is the time to work on opposite hand shooting. Get use to it in case you need it.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have two left handed friends that taught themselves to write with their right hand because it doesn't mess up the ink.

I tried learning to use my left when I broke my right wrist and never managed.
thats something you need to work on, if you ever get wounded in your dominate hand, your going to need that skill to shoot off hand

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I've been in the service and repair field for almost 30 yrs. now and a shade tree mechanic long befor that, so learning to use tools with my off hand was pretty much a must!! As far as wiping my butt off hand ...no thanks! It took me this long to get good at it with my dominant hand! LoL as far as shooting goes, I always finish off a trip to the range with shooting at least two full mags with my off hand. You never know when your gonna need that skill.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I too am a service technician, you have to be able to use both hands...I play great guitar now with both hands, although I dont use my left hand guitar very often. I always switch at the range and have switched while duck hunting depending on the situation....P.S. I have succesfully wiped my own butt with both hands, not by choice but when I broke my wrist I didn't have much of a choice.....:pistols:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm right handed but modestly ambidextrous. I can shoot reasonably well with my left hand, have always used my left hand for the computer mouse, workshop tools equally well with both hands, handwriting with my left hand looks like a spastic first grader, and wiping and pleasuring myself with my left hand just isn't going to happen. LOL.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Left handed pistol shooter, right handed rifle shooter. I do a lot of things with both hands like use a screw driver. Wiping on the other hand not so much. To me it's not hard just when you start something new make sure to incorporate both hands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts